Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance & Dyno effects between mufflers on Milwaukee-8 engines *Dyno Tests Inside*

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 06:18 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
WTH, you never hear about Thunderheader or Patriot anymore. Has anyone done any testing with TH on the M8 because since installing mine it's like a brand new bike. I had a complete Rinehart 4.5" exhaust system and it was worthless. It's for sale too in case anyone is interested. Great pipe

That's cuz after listening to them for a few years, you go deaf. You don't hear anything.

Last edited by Max Headflow; 05-18-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:07 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Magnaflows vs Jackpots

Originally Posted by Quik
That is a pic looking into my muffler from the end cap. This is magnaflows description....

The 4" Knockout with its stepped perforated core produce unmatched deep, throaty, powerful sound quality and is the ideal choice for tuned or stock engines.
Here is one of my Dyno sheets. (Magnaflows vs FM-Jackpots). This shows the low end loss on the Hitmans
FM 117 big bore
CR-460 cam
FM 2-1-2 headpipe
FM AC/DC air cleaner
Power Vision tune

Last edited by lyork; 05-19-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:27 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by lyork
Here is one of my Dyno sheets. (Magnaflows vs FM-Jackpots). This shows the low end loss on the Magnaflows
FM 117 big bore
CR-460 cam
FM 2-1-2 headpipe
FM AC/DC air cleaner
Power Vision tune

Those are hitmans correct? I cant remember if the baffle was any bigger in them over the 4 inch knockouts or not. If it's no worse than that I can live with that all day for the sound difference. I put my stock cvo mufflers back on yesterday just to see if there was a difference, I could not tell any difference other than the awful sound, I dont have the cam in yet though.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:48 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
Those are hitmans correct? I cant remember if the baffle was any bigger in them over the 4 inch knockouts or not. If it's no worse than that I can live with that all day for the sound difference. I put my stock cvo mufflers back on yesterday just to see if there was a difference, I could not tell any difference other than the awful sound, I dont have the cam in yet though.
Yep, those are the hitmans. I love the sound of them over the jackpots, so I stayed with them on the bike.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:40 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

I posted this a long time ago and it's on a Twinn Cam bike but it still shows the effect that the exhaust plays in the low-end Tq in these engines.

So my 2014 103 at the time the Dyno was done had Andrews 58 cams, the blue line was with a ceramic coated 2-1-2 head pipe with RC 4" mufflers that had 2.5" baffles. Then we installed a Rush Wrath 2-1 exhaust which also had a 2.5" baffle but remember, your now pushing all the exhaust through that 1 and only baffle. The difference is huge as far as where the Low-end Tq comes on, huge. At 2500 rpm's your looking at 30ft lbs. difference which is going to be noticed.

Last edited by Tn.Heritage; 05-19-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:14 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Looks like lyork only gave up about 10 ft lbs between 2-3k rpm with the magnaflows and then actually passed the restricted mufflers after that, I can live with that all day just to get the sound I want.

The following users liked this post:
Ronbo1 (10-17-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 04:03 PM
madmat
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
They went in the outlet of the muffler. I had to drill out the hole for the bolt that secures the baffle.

I put the TTI’s in my V&H 450 destroyers. I have tried several different combinations. The inserts in line with exhaust, a 45 degree angle and as pictured, with and without the packing.

Going from the SE street cannons to the V&H has been a huge drop in low end torque. The sound now in my opinion is much nicer and yes a bit louder, it sounds more like a typical twin cam bike.

This is the closest performance wise they have come to the Street Cannons, no packing and TTI as pictured. I have 400-500 miles on this combo and I am happy.

18 RGS stage 3, SEPST, smart tune pro with cat

Last edited by madmat; 05-22-2019 at 05:40 PM. Reason: correction
Old 05-22-2019, 07:37 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by madmat
I put the TTI’s in my V&H 450 destroyers. I have tried several different combinations. The inserts in line with exhaust, a 45 degree angle and as pictured, with and without the packing.

Going from the SE street cannons to the V&H has been a huge drop in low end torque. The sound now in my opinion is much nicer and yes a bit louder, it sounds more like a typical twin cam bike.

This is the closest performance wise they have come to the Street Cannons, no packing and TTI as pictured. I have 400-500 miles on this combo and I am happy.

18 RGS stage 3, SEPST, smart tune pro with cat

Not sure which easy they're supposed to be installed. Both pics are different.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:42 PM
madmat
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
Not sure which easy they're supposed to be installed. Both pics are different.
I don't know either and I am not sure it matters. They are there to add resistance.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:58 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
You might want to consider this before you go with the 1.75" baffles.

As you can see, the 1.75" baffle came just a little earlier, but by 2500 rpm the 2.0" baffles had caught up. Since you went with the Rineharts, I get the idea you like some sound from your exhaust. I have the 2.0" baffles in a set of standard stock cans on my bike and it isn't much louder that stock. The 2.25" cores might even be a better choice for you. They will be louder. Again, the curve will move slightly to the right, but it probably won't be noticeable with the butt dyno. No matter what you decide, get the Techmats. They will keep the mufflers from having a tinny sound.
Very interesting comparison, thanks for posting that stonecold.
Now I’m rethinking going with 2” now.
The Rineharts with 2.5” baffles and cat in, is still a bit too loud, but sounds awesome, I hope this would be quieter.

Quick Reply: Performance & Dyno effects between mufflers on Milwaukee-8 engines *Dyno Tests Inside*