Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let us know if your HD primary vent fix has worked or failed

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 10:15 PM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,126 Likes on 1,531 Posts

I've still got more than a year left on my warranty. I'll have ask the service manager if they will install one on mine just in case. As of now my stick has stayed on the full mark.

I tried to see if I could make it transfer by running a full tank of gas in the 3000+ range. No transfer but I've read a few post in this thread or another thread about the same subject and some of those guys stated that their bikes started transferring trans fluid after they had some miles on the bike.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:11 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Down South
I've still got more than a year left on my warranty. I'll have ask the service manager if they will install one on mine just in case. As of now my stick has stayed on the full mark.

I tried to see if I could make it transfer by running a full tank of gas in the 3000+ range. No transfer but I've read a few post in this thread or another thread about the same subject and some of those guys stated that their bikes started transferring trans fluid after they had some miles on the bike.
and there's plenty others, like myself, where the transfer subsided to about nil after racking up the miles over the years..in my case engine oil consumption has gotten less and less over the years and miles as well to where it's just not a problem..go figure...I have 4 years left on my ESP and I have no need or reason to pursue the vent..don't introduce change to try and fix what's not broken is where I'm at anyway

Old 07-15-2019, 06:53 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

I had minor transfer, about one oz per thou.

I got got the vent installed. I’ll need more miles to be absolutely certain, but it appears there is no more xfer going on.

Looks like the the vent is the fix. I’ll know for sure by the end of summer.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:59 PM
Cooch366
Cruiser
Received 222 Likes on 75 Posts
Default ESP coverage

Originally Posted by mjwebb
and there's plenty others, like myself, where the transfer subsided to about nil after racking up the miles over the years..in my case engine oil consumption has gotten less and less over the years and miles as well to where it's just not a problem..go figure...I have 4 years left on my ESP and I have no need or reason to pursue the vent..don't introduce change to try and fix what's not broken is where I'm at anyway
I just had a15000 mike service and had some transfer, (2017 Ultra Limited) and was told that it is out of warranty and that my ESP doesn’t cover it. (The vent). Problem was logged with the MoCo, and will monitor future transfer per MoCo. I’ll argue that issue when it needs to be fixed.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:15 PM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Cooch366
I just had a15000 mike service and had some transfer, (2017 Ultra Limited) and was told that it is out of warranty and that my ESP doesn’t cover it. (The vent). Problem was logged with the MoCo, and will monitor future transfer per MoCo. I’ll argue that issue when it needs to be fixed.
This is troubling info. Now that the bikes are coming from the factory with the vent installed the MOCO is going to have a huge issue on their hands if they deny correcting the issue for bikes that are out of warranty. Way to **** all over your loyal customers Harley.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:19 PM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 868 Likes on 511 Posts

my ESP doesn’t cover it. (The vent).
That would chap me quite a bit...

Old 07-16-2019, 10:36 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

I bought the vent kit for 30 bucks and installed it in an hour, some things aren't worth worrying about, do it yourself it's cheap insurance and an easy fix.

The following 2 users liked this post by mikes300:
bpav16 (07-17-2019), jmd897 (07-16-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 01:54 AM
HDs4me
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tcatnat
....... Way to **** all over your loyal customers Harley.
sadly they turned it into an art form many years ago

The following users liked this post:
blap (07-29-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 08:45 PM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

1k miles since primary vent installed. NO TRANSFER! Previously at 500 miles there was nothing showing on the stick.

Eagle Out

Old 07-19-2019, 10:48 AM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

I have a few questions I hope someone can answer. I am coming up on my 5k service and I have yet to have any transfer issue. Should I bother installing the vent myself while I'm doing this service or let it go since I have not had an issue and still have a year left on my warranty?

Also, If I do not install the vent, do I run any greater risk of damage if I use Red Line V-Twin Transmission Oil with Shockproof and eventually do have the transfer issue? The reason I ask is I know the Red Line has a suspension additive and I'm wondering if that would negatively impact the primary if I do get the transfer. I've had good success with this oil in my Dyna so I want to keep using it.

I'm doing the 5k myself but had the dealer do the 1k.

Quick Reply: Let us know if your HD primary vent fix has worked or failed