Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip on mufflers causing lack of torque?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 12:04 PM
Bohemka
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Slip on mufflers causing lack of torque?

Greetings from Europe!
Just before christmas I traded in my 103 SGS for the 114 RGS. Have been happy with it except for the sound. No 'growl' to it. My office us in the US so when I was over last week I got some Cobra Neighbour Haters slip ons.
Put them on yesterday and they sound fantastic. A low deep growl enough to get cars out of the way when going through the city but not too loud to be getting pulled over every other day.
I was out today for about 3 hours and all was fine until the last 45 minutes. It was as if there was hardly any torque in the lower gears. I mean dont get me wrong, it got up there but was slow slow slow in getting there.
On the SGS I had V&H twin slash round slip ons. This time, due to the blacked out engine I liked the look of the Cobra NH plus there was that chrome inner which links back to my SGS.
I noticed that the NH are pretty much a straight through muffler but everything I read had said no fuel mapping needed.
Anyone else riding a 2019 RGS with NH slip ons? Did you need to remap?

Also, when I got back and parked in the garage the engine was pinking as usual when it cools down but the left muffler was tic-tic-tic-tic really fast. Not sure if I can upload videos on here?

Any help or guidance welcome.
Thanks

Old 05-18-2019, 12:10 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,474 Likes on 1,061 Posts

M8s are very sensitive to types of exhaust. Many slip ons may cause loss of low end. Not sure that's what your situation is, since it was something you noticed later? Hope it's not dumping you experienced.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:42 PM
Bohemka
Cruiser

Dumping?

Old 05-18-2019, 01:02 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

I think he meant 'sumping'.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:51 PM
coop creek
Road Captain
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

I've got a 2019 street glide special/114 motor. I tried 4.5" Rhinehart slip-on mufflers which are "straight through" like yours, and it lost low end torque, just like yours. I put the stock mufflers back on, it runs great. Once the warranty is out I might put the Rhineharts back on with a re-tune.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:33 PM
Groucho-17SGS
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

don't get your hopes up with retune fixing torque due to open mufflers. I am running the 4.5" Rineharts, just put in a cam and dyno'd. Numbers were below what I was hoping for. As much as I like the look of the 4.5" I will be moving to something else when money gets available

Old 05-18-2019, 10:44 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,741 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Bohemka
Greetings from Europe!
Just before christmas I traded in my 103 SGS for the 114 RGS. Have been happy with it except for the sound. No 'growl' to it. My office us in the US so when I was over last week I got some Cobra Neighbour Haters slip ons.
Put them on yesterday and they sound fantastic. A low deep growl enough to get cars out of the way when going through the city but not too loud to be getting pulled over every other day.
I was out today for about 3 hours and all was fine until the last 45 minutes. It was as if there was hardly any torque in the lower gears. I mean dont get me wrong, it got up there but was slow slow slow in getting there.
On the SGS I had V&H twin slash round slip ons. This time, due to the blacked out engine I liked the look of the Cobra NH plus there was that chrome inner which links back to my SGS.
I noticed that the NH are pretty much a straight through muffler but everything I read had said no fuel mapping needed.
Anyone else riding a 2019 RGS with NH slip ons? Did you need to remap?

Also, when I got back and parked in the garage the engine was pinking as usual when it cools down but the left muffler was tic-tic-tic-tic really fast. Not sure if I can upload videos on here?

Any help or guidance welcome.
Thanks
When I first got my 2017 RGS 107" I put Bassani DNT's on it. They are pretty much a wide open muffler. I never experienced anything like what you describe here. The fact that it occurred in the last 45 minutes of you ride and everything was fine up to that point makes me believe the problem is not with the mufflers. What you described sounds more like the symptoms that those who have experienced sumping have described. There are numerous threads on this forum about sumping and how to check for it, but the easiest way would be when you experience the loss of power hit the kill switch, pull over, and check your oil. If you are sumping it will be low. I don't know how many dealers you have in the Czech Republic, but if this is the problem you will need to take the bike to one for diagnosis and hopefully a solution.

The following users liked this post:
Bohemka (05-19-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 10:56 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,387 Likes on 2,951 Posts

There's a dealer in Praha.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:54 AM
Ridetothehill
Road Captain

Received 142 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho-17SGS
don't get your hopes up with retune fixing torque due to open mufflers. I am running the 4.5" Rineharts, just put in a cam and dyno'd. Numbers were below what I was hoping for. As much as I like the look of the 4.5" I will be moving to something else when money gets available
Have you considered the Thunder Torque inserts by DK Customs ? I will probably be replacing my 4.5" slips next year; but, for now, these seem to be working for me.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:05 AM
Bohemka
Cruiser

I spoke with my local HD dealership stating the symptoms etc. They said they were not aware of sumping and just asked if my engine management light had come on.
On the day when the loss of torque happened I had been riding it pretty hard up and down the gears through all of the back roads and up some of the mountains and on the way home was sat at around 80mph on the motorway for around an hour. So looking at various threads this sounds like scenario that can cause it.
I rode the bike today and everything was fine.

My concern is we are due to head down through the Austrian Alps in 4 weeks and then down through Slovenia and into Croatia. That is a lot of mountains and a lot of twisty turny riding.
Engine is 2019 114 stock with 1,000 miles. Just been in for 1st service.

Quick Reply: Slip on mufflers causing lack of torque?