Sponsored by:

How much life left in my tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 04:22 PM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,013 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by robbie52
I got 21,000 out of my stock rear tire and will get about 24,000 out of the front. I would not replace prior to a 4,000 mile trip.

Really. Hmm, that's impressive. I've never been able to get that kind of mileage out of stock Dunlop tires.

To the people who get 6-8 years out of their batteries and 20-25k miles out of their tires, I'm happy for you. You've been able to squeeze a little more and save a little money.

Personally, when it comes to peace of mind, I don't try to be a cheapskate. If I couldn't afford the bike and normal maintenance that occurs with owning it, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

My .02

The following 2 users liked this post by 01dyna:
mjwebb (06-11-2019), SMR65 (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 06:34 PM
e6fmf
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Tires

You really want to push it? Go ahead, keep riding them, you'll, unfortunately, find out when.

The following 2 users liked this post by e6fmf:
01dyna (06-11-2019), SMR65 (06-11-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 08:57 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 520 Likes on 361 Posts

stock tires (dunlops) are good for 18K miles. You will make it back

Old 06-12-2019, 03:36 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 01dyna
Really. Hmm, that's impressive. I've never been able to get that kind of mileage out of stock Dunlop tires.

To the people who get 6-8 years out of their batteries and 20-25k miles out of their tires, I'm happy for you. You've been able to squeeze a little more and save a little money.

Personally, when it comes to peace of mind, I don't try to be a cheapskate. If I couldn't afford the bike and normal maintenance that occurs with owning it, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

My .02
I have no problem affording the CVO or the maintenance and dont see what that has to do with not changing tires before they are wore out. I changed the rear tire with 3/32 tread left because it was cupping a lot and I had a long trip planned. I still have 3/32 on the front tire. I am always conservative when it comes to replacing tires and doing all of the maintenance on the bike.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 03:51 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
stock tires (dunlops) are good for 18K miles. You will make it back
that kind of blanket statement is entirely inaccurate

Kyle Moore (06-22-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 04:38 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by 01dyna

My .02
so what do you consider 'normal maintenance'? you're advocating spending a healthy chunk of change to replace a tire that may or may not even be half worn. in my case, I replaced my stock dunlops with a set of American elites at 20,000 miles. not because they were worn out, but because they were a little cupped and I wanted a smoother ride. I replaced those American elites at 23,000 miles, and they still had life left but I wanted to try the new avon cobra chromes and they had a rebate going on and I wanted the $60 before it ended. I knew I was going to replace tires this year anyway, so I went ahead and did it then.

robbie52 (06-18-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 05:10 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 229 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Cobra Chromes

Originally Posted by skratch
so what do you consider 'normal maintenance'? you're advocating spending a healthy chunk of change to replace a tire that may or may not even be half worn. in my case, I replaced my stock dunlops with a set of American elites at 20,000 miles. not because they were worn out, but because they were a little cupped and I wanted a smoother ride. I replaced those American elites at 23,000 miles, and they still had life left but I wanted to try the new avon cobra chromes and they had a rebate going on and I wanted the $60 before it ended. I knew I was going to replace tires this year anyway, so I went ahead and did it then.
Let us know what kind of mileage you get out of the Chromes, I've always liked Cobras but couldn't get any kind of decent mileage out of the rears, almost half that of AEs. TIA

Old 06-12-2019, 06:47 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 464 Likes on 305 Posts

Well thanks to this damn thread I stopped by my local dealer and scheduled some new shoes.

I'm right at 17500 miles and have a 3K trip planned in 3 weeks. Southeast Texas > Oklahoma > New Mexico > Colorado > Arizona and home, gonna be epic!

Local dealer (Cowboy HD in Beaumont, TX) as well as Republic HD in Stafford, TX both have $399 installed for a set currently (like $439 out the door).

Meh, I bet I could have gotten another 3K but I only have 10 days of vacation and I want to spend it riding not waiting on the side of the road

Old 06-12-2019, 08:48 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
Let us know what kind of mileage you get out of the Chromes, I've always liked Cobras but couldn't get any kind of decent mileage out of the rears, almost half that of AEs. TIA
i wish i could. less than 2 weeks after installing them, some a$$hole decided to rear end me. totaled the bike. less than 1000 miles on the tires.

i will say that i really, really, liked them though. when these are due for a change, i will go with the avon's again. according to their website, the chrome's are using a new compound that is supposed to offer longer life. can't say that if it didn't, i wouldn't still use them. like i said, they performed really well. and i have a tire changer, so if i have to replace them a little more often, no big deal.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:55 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunker
Well thanks to this damn thread I stopped by my local dealer and scheduled some new shoes.

I'm right at 17500 miles and have a 3K trip planned in 3 weeks. Southeast Texas > Oklahoma > New Mexico > Colorado > Arizona and home, gonna be epic!

Local dealer (Cowboy HD in Beaumont, TX) as well as Republic HD in Stafford, TX both have $399 installed for a set currently (like $439 out the door).

Meh, I bet I could have gotten another 3K but I only have 10 days of vacation and I want to spend it riding not waiting on the side of the road
for an ambulance or ME! jk..

the perspective I have about replacing a little prematurely is it provides a safety margin..and if you got X amount of miles of the best they were then really how much money are you 'wasting'....$30 worth apiece ish ?....that's a dinner night out with the wife ..not worth worrying about for me anyway..small price to pay to have fresh shoes on for confidence, performance, reduced braking distance, etc, etc

Quick Reply: How much life left in my tires?