Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   Interesting how the majority of “problem” threads are now about primary transfer and not sumping. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1285531-interesting-how-the-majority-of-iproblemn-threads-are-now-about-primary-transfer-and-not-sumping.html)

Mchad 05-25-2019 05:32 PM

Interesting how the majority of “problem” threads are now about primary transfer and not sumping.

While a couple of months ago all you saw was “sumping”

Has “sumping” been resolved and now everyone has moved on to the next problem? Seems transfer may be resolved by the vent. Hopefully we can move on to other things instead of problems. One day.

Thankfully I have neither.

yobtaf103 05-25-2019 06:03 PM

Yeah seen a bit of consensus about sumping on another forum, apart from build quality issues like piston jet oiler not helping, is that oil overfill is the problem which leads also to oil from the head breathers.
Getting filled or topped up to max level mark, HD manual states when cold level is midway between max/min

FatBob2018 05-25-2019 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by yobtaf103 (Post 18281985)
Yeah seen a bit of consensus about sumping on another forum, apart from build quality issues like piston jet oiler not helping, is that oil overfill is the problem which leads also to oil from the head breathers.
Getting filled or topped up to max level mark, HD manual states when cold level is midway between max/min

Harley Australia said that two years ago. Said that people ride and then shut the bike off without letting it idle, so it can't evacuate the collected oil. Then the owner checks the oil, sees it's "low", so they top it up (which is in fact overfilling it) and then you get problems.

That might explain why a few guys sump engines over and over... maybe they're serial over fillers.

Obviously that wouldn't explain some cases where there is documented hardware failure (like piston oilers).

southerncannuck 05-25-2019 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by FatBob2018 (Post 18282121)
Harley Australia said that two years ago. Said that people ride and then shut the bike off without letting it idle, so it can't evacuate the collected oil. Then the owner checks the oil, sees it's "low", so they top it up (which is in fact overfilling it) and then you get problems.

That might explain why a few guys sump engines over and over... maybe they're serial over fillers.

Obviously that wouldn't explain some cases where there is documented hardware failure (like piston oilers).

Years ago I was a young corporate co-pilot. An older pilot, a captain used the term “gauge thumpers” in a derisive manner. He was referring to pilots who thumped the gauges to get an accurate reading. They were the obsessive types.

Some bike owners are gauge thumpers.

mjwebb 05-25-2019 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mchad (Post 18281935)
While a couple of months ago all you saw was “sumping”

Has “sumping” been resolved and now everyone has moved on to the next problem? Seems transfer may be resolved by the vent. Hopefully we can move on to other things instead of problems. One day.

Thankfully I have neither.

be patient, Summer is close at hand, the time of year Heatwave proclaims will certainly yield an increase in summing reports

Heatwave 05-26-2019 03:25 AM

Check out CVOHARLEY forum. Multiple 2019 bikes are reporting sumping. Both stock and HD Stage upgrades. Not good.

KrustyKush 05-26-2019 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Heatwave (Post 18282726)
Check out CVOHARLEY forum. Multiple 2019 bikes are reporting sumping. Both stock and HD Stage upgrades. Not good.

Like the guy here who worried that his fans running signified sumping. I wonder how many of these sump reports are like the flying saucer dopes complaining about nocturnal butt scans at the hands of little green men.

Hysteria?

"a psychological disorder (not now regarded as a single definite condition) whose symptoms include conversion of psychological stress into physical symptoms (somatization), selective amnesia, shallow volatile emotions, and overdramatic or attention-seeking behavior. The term has a controversial history as it was formerly regarded as a disease specific to women."

bradsULtd 05-26-2019 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Heatwave (Post 18282726)

None of it credible, if you can even find it over there...:icon_blah:

Heatwave 05-26-2019 11:16 AM

Believe whatever makes your heart content. There’s a new 2019 CVO with less than 1000 miles that just posted another sumping M8 experience. Never-sumpers and Sump-deniers continue to view sumping as a hoax .... at least till it happens to them. Lol

bradsULtd 05-26-2019 11:23 AM

Not a hoax!! On 17 & 18 & VERY EARLY 19MY bikes...now corrected on 19MY bikes using the plate with seal...my informed opinion...