Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Heat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 08:49 PM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

I don't have an M8 but do have a Rushmore, big engines are hot and so is some bikes with small engines. I could care less I love riding.
It was a hundred degrees when we went out today. Only thing I ever did to the bike was remove the cat I can't say it made much difference or not and it was not the sole reason.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:52 PM
jlombard
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

I called Jet-hot and fir $340. dollars I can get my stock pipe and crossover done that's coating inside and out. he claims he can coat the inside up to the cat. I'll check with Harley to see if there is anyway it will violate the warranty.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:14 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

One other thing, as stupid as this might sound ... *L*

Loose pants and keep your legs to the outer edge of the floor boards. The more space, no matter how little makes a big difference. Air is an insulator, in fact, its how insulation works, air pockets., HD even makes or made floor board extenders for the Rushmore touring that move the boards out (not forward) a couple inches to the side just for that reason.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:43 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,335 Likes on 3,273 Posts

More displacement = more heat, my 103HO is way hotter than my 96 on the same bike...I was riding a few weeks ago in about 95 degrees and it was unbearable...it has stayed parked since.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:53 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Generally speaking the TC103 is a bored and stroked TC88. More cubic inches means more ring friction and more weight to move. The original TC88 was delayed from production due to excessive running heat so the MOCO contracted Jim Feuling to redesign the combustion chamber to reduce heat, which worked enough to produce the engine.
Since the TC88, the MOCO did little more than add an oil cooler so it is not hard to understand why the TC103 runs significantly hotter than the TC88.
Now up the cubic inches to 110 and you can understand why the MOCO redesigned the engine for more efficient running which reduces heat. They also moved the rear pipe further away from the rider’s and passenger’s leg further reducing perceived (felt) heat.
Oil or water cooled combustion chambers as on the M8’s also help with radiated heat.
So, IMO, the MOCO should do whatever is necessary to accommodate owners/riders by reducing radiated heat as well as protecting the riders and passengers from heat by adding heat shields/barriers as standard equipment.
Bob

Last edited by FLTRI17; 06-03-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:22 PM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I did the Jet Hot on my pipes then wrapped with the Lava wrap. Still hotter than hell. Guy at Jet Hot told me I wouldn't need to wrap...whatever. It cooks my nutz. Thinking about changing them already. 300 down the drain.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:39 PM
e6fmf
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Heat

Originally Posted by CWOFOR
As MJWEBB stated, there are several ways to lessen the heat. I have wrapped mine and that helps some, but not completely. I have even double wrapped the rear pipe (which helps more, but again not completely) and still was able to re-install the stock heat shields. I also acquired a take off head pipe, then de-catted it, and had it ceramic coated by Jet-Hot (to 1350 degrees) but I haven't installed it yet because it is riding season. (I'll put it on this winter) As MJWEBB says, (and I agree) a re-tune afterward is a good idea, just to ensure everything is running properly. I hope this answers your questions; if not there are a boat load of threads on this subject through out this forum. Good luck and ride safe.
You gotta be shitting me Gunner, 2hours tops to replace head pipe. With your short *** summer you wanna roast your *** off?

Old 06-04-2019, 07:18 AM
CWOFOR
Tourer
Received 155 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by e6fmf
You gotta be shitting me Gunner, 2hours tops to replace head pipe. With your short *** summer you wanna roast your *** off?
Although it may take a short amount of time to change out; because of my short riding season, I'll wait and get in as much riding as possible. Plus, it is still under "warranty" and with the associated issues with this motor, I don't want to take the chance or give the MotorCo any opportunity to void it. As for roasting my *** off, it's not my *** that feels the heat; it's my lower leg and moving my leg further away from the pipe works for now. But hey, thanks for the Gunner reference, not many folks on here know about that. Semper Fi brother.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:53 AM
mcouture
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a ceramic coated header (inside/outside) on my Rushmore and it is still hotter than hell... I have the CoolFlow Fan and it helps my wife around town but she still fries her right leg at speed when temps are 90 or above.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:01 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 602 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by mcouture
I have a ceramic coated header (inside/outside) on my Rushmore and it is still hotter than hell... I have the CoolFlow Fan and it helps my wife around town but she still fries her right leg at speed when temps are 90 or above.
Bet a crotch cooler would help with the heat ..

Quick Reply: Exhaust Heat?