Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Heat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 11:05 AM
Wmitz
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

Over the last couple of times I’ve been out riding, been experimenting with the vent positions. I’ve found that angling the left side vent in a little helps a lot. No I don’t have scientific proof, but to me it seems run a bit cooler. The right vent is kept straight back. DK Customs make a tank lift and air flow directors that will help also. Removing the the cat should help, however, there are 2 camps on this. Tuner vs no tuner. I’m in the tuner camp. I put on a decatted pipe, stock cans and intake, didn’t like the results, switched back. However others have no issues without a tune. A good friend had the hd fan, said it worked well. There also Love Jug fans. Ultimately keeping the engine cool helps in all aspects. DK Customs is doing a video and report on a 19 triglide on cooling off the engine. It’s very interesting.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:28 AM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

I could see the left vent helping. It would push air across the jugs and help push the heat away. I installed the Cool Flow about a month ago. The wife says it is a game changer for her, in the back. I think I am actually feeling a little more heat on the right ankle than before. It may be how the fan is pushing the hot air. It is livable and the wife is happy.

I will play with the vent position. The day the warranty expires, the cat goes. Just the fact that there is a mass that is holding the heat and the exothermic reaction will help. For the Cat to work, the exhaust temperature has to be high. To make exhaust gases hotter, you raise compression. Not much you can do about that unless you want to change the stroke length. Not exactly the weekend mod I am up to.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:02 PM
Fitterwelder
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I plan on doing a test using a temp gun

Before and after using loctite ceramic spray on just the backsides of the factory heat shields .. this stuffs pretty neat ...I use it for all types of stuff at work....

I also run the left vent pointed to the right ..it helps

Last edited by Fitterwelder; 06-05-2019 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Reword
Old 06-15-2019, 06:49 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I remember years ago when some of the aftermarket header guys were offering ceramic coating to "hold in the heat". From what I found in my research, it depends upon the properties of the ceramic. YMMV. For my riding, getting rid of the cat and tuning the bike was the best solution for heat reduction. But there will always be heat on these engines, period. Even the liquid cooled, non-HD bikes I ride radiate heat to the rider, so every damn motorcycle is going to radiate heat to the rider. Get use to it. And yes, the hot summers when temps get above about 85 here in the south is brutal. Screw riding a motorcycle in that weather. Give me cold weather anytime (no snow, please).

The following users liked this post:
Fitterwelder (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 04:53 PM
Fitterwelder
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Decatted and retuned it last week...its definitely cooler running than before...still haven't sprayed my heat shrouds yet

Old 07-02-2019, 09:34 AM
Jtpntx
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I wrapped my 2017 exhaust. Obvious difference (for me) on the vertical pipe coming from the rear cylinder but wrapping the cat did nothing for her right leg/foot even with passenger foot boards.
And FYI the Coolflow fan does nothing for highway. It shuts off for 1 thing but even so...I wont go that route.
Im going to cut the cat out eventually.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:17 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,470 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by CWOFOR
As MJWEBB stated, there are several ways to lessen the heat. I have wrapped mine and that helps some, but not completely. I have even double wrapped the rear pipe (which helps more, but again not completely) and still was able to re-install the stock heat shields. I also acquired a take off head pipe, then de-catted it, and had it ceramic coated by Jet-Hot (to 1350 degrees) but I haven't installed it yet because it is riding season. (I'll put it on this winter) As MJWEBB says, (and I agree) a re-tune afterward is a good idea, just to ensure everything is running properly. I hope this answers your questions; if not there are a boat load of threads on this subject through out this forum. Good luck and ride safe.
A little late seeing this, but I inquired about jet hot 2 years ago and if I remember correctly, to have a steel exhaust coated was as much or more than buying one already ceramic coated like FM sells!. I couldnt believe the cost!