Sponsored by:

Transfer issue resolved

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 03:00 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,248 Likes on 11,136 Posts

Originally Posted by hdrider1
Seems like inistalling the fat pushrod or using the Harley Primary Vent kit would be a lot easier solution.
That’s what Im thinking.

The following users liked this post:
Silentgreyfellow (06-01-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 06:21 PM
bigcraig
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Seems like inistalling the fat pushrod or using the Harley Primary Vent kit would be a lot easier solution.
The fat push rod is not a guaranteed fix, neither is the vent kit.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:17 PM
CWOFOR
Tourer
Received 138 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
My ‘17 107 began transferring trans fluid to the primary pretty much from new, but not badly enough to concern me. MJ Webb was the first to bring this issue to everyone’s attention, and that’s when I began monitoring mine more frequently. For a while it actually seemed to improve, but at around the 8K mark the pace went up to 10 - 15 oz every 3K miles. I watched the forum until enough time had passed for fixes (and causes) to stand the test of time. What caught my eye was $tonecolds’ inner cover mod; it cost nothing and seemed logical.

Almost 3500 miles ago I did the relief work myself, changed oil and monitored frequently. After making a cross country ride done mostly on the interstates I looked again, and am HAPPY to report no discernible fluid loss. I’ve done no mods beyond the relief work on the inner cover.

i realize this issue has been discussed extensively elsewhere on here, but I’d like to see this thread reserved for others who’ve put enough miles on to confirm this solution works. For those interested, the section of cover that gets removed is best done with a series of holes drilled around the circumference of the actuator mount. I believe that would have made it much faster to remove - I wasted a lot of time using a die grinder deburring bit. It instantly got clogged with aluminum and was about the dumbest way to go about doing it. Be certain not to remove any of the sealing surface for the actuator or you’ll have to replace the cover. ALSO - I saw a thread yesterday on a guy who trimmed his outer cover to eliminate having to loosen the exhaust system to finagle it out. An excellent idea while your in there anyway...

BIG shout-outs to MJ Webb for making us aware of this, and to $tonecold for taking the time to respond to my PM’s. More importantly, $tone could have continued to sell his kits and recovered some of his own time and money, but instead continued to research alternatives for those of us that are broke.
Spray the burr with WD40 and it will keep the burr from clogging.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:09 PM
hdrider1
Tourer
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcraig
I haven't seen any reports of the moco primary vent not working and it's apparently being rolled out on current production models as well as being offered by the moco for sale to the consumer. Seems as reliable as the slave cylinder cover modification. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

Old 06-01-2019, 10:38 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

I haven't seen any reports of the moco primary vent not working and it's apparently being rolled out on current production models as well as being offered by the moco for sale to the consumer. Seems as reliable as the slave cylinder cover modification. Do you have evidence to the contrary?
yup, saw it on 2 new CVO's today, and our SM said I could get it installed if I want to but I'm just not to the point of feeling the need, still have 4 years of ESP left so just not a pressing need at all

Old 06-01-2019, 10:40 PM
bigcraig
Cruiser

As far as the fat rod, it didn't fix my transfer problem.

As far as the vent kit not working, I know of one locally that it didn't stop the problem completely, but it greatly reduced the amount of transfer.

All that said, and I am far from an expert, but I can only tell you since I have installed the trans cover I machined, with the AIM s/c and the fat rod, I have so far completely stopped transfer on my bike. My bike would transfer 10-12oz within 20 miles of correcting fluid levels then stop, it would never transfer enough fluid that when the derby cover was removed, fluid would spill out if the bike was upright. If I pulled the derby cover while the bike was on the jiffy stand, fluid would pour out.

I have put right 400 miles on my bike since the above mentioned "fixes", fluid levels have not changed since I corrected them. I will concede that what fixed my problem could be all of the components working together. (trans cover+Aim s/c+fat rod) But like mentioned earlier, the fat rod alone did absolutely nothing, I left it in my bike just out of sheer laziness.

I also realize that machining the trans cover is a no go for some folks, they don't have the use of a mill, don't even have the ability or know how to r/r the trans cover or install and bleed the AIM correctly. I am fortunate that I can.

I still have an appointment set with my dealer, If they can/will install the vent kit under warranty without me having to go thru entire "correct fluid and come back" nonsense, I will allow them do the work.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:50 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,731 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by DRBUICK
Added a vent no problems now did the side cover like stonecold said still moved fluid.
So you're saying you added a vent and the transfer stopped, then you relieved the inner side cover and it started transferring again? I know you are running a DD7. My 2015 started transferring after I installed the DD7. I relieved the side cover and installed 2014 three piece pushrod and it quit transferring. You might try that.

Originally Posted by bigcraig
The only cure for transfer that I know of is "The Fix", my modification that puts a seal between the transmission and the primary. If you were to do that in conjunction with the Harley vent you wouldn't have to drill a hole in the actuator, the one draw back to "The Fix". All of the other fixes that are offered have been reported to fail at times, though the success rate with all of them appears to be greater than the failure rate. I was not sure that the relieved side cover would work, that is why I offered it to members to try. I think the of the three that I am monitoring that have tried it, all three are having success. I do recommend that the concave barrier between the transmission and the actuator be fully removed. This can be done with a coping saw. I think it took me about five minutes to remove it with the saw.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:12 PM
bigcraig
Cruiser

I agree with you 100% Stonecold!

Old 06-02-2019, 07:19 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Why not just use the already designed primary vent from Harley? What’s the point of machining the primary or making any additional modifications for venting now that HD is selling their primary vent kit? I don’t get it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Heatwave:
mjwebb (06-02-2019), southerncannuck (06-03-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 07:25 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Why not just use the already designed primary vent from Harley? What’s the point of machining the primary or making any additional modifications for venting now that HD is selling their primary vent kit? I don’t get it.
agree, and where i'm at with this..yes it took them a long time with a couple previous failed attempts but appears 3rd time is a charm with reports we're hearing..they have been making the vent tube fix OEM going forward so that further validates their confidence this time

Quick Reply: Transfer issue resolved