Sponsored by:

Transfer issue resolved

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 10:51 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Transfer issue resolved

My ‘17 107 began transferring trans fluid to the primary pretty much from new, but not badly enough to concern me. MJ Webb was the first to bring this issue to everyone’s attention, and that’s when I began monitoring mine more frequently. For a while it actually seemed to improve, but at around the 8K mark the pace went up to 10 - 15 oz every 3K miles. I watched the forum until enough time had passed for fixes (and causes) to stand the test of time. What caught my eye was $tonecolds’ inner cover mod; it cost nothing and seemed logical.

Almost 3500 miles ago I did the relief work myself, changed oil and monitored frequently. After making a cross country ride done mostly on the interstates I looked again, and am HAPPY to report no discernible fluid loss. I’ve done no mods beyond the relief work on the inner cover.

i realize this issue has been discussed extensively elsewhere on here, but I’d like to see this thread reserved for others who’ve put enough miles on to confirm this solution works. For those interested, the section of cover that gets removed is best done with a series of holes drilled around the circumference of the actuator mount. I believe that would have made it much faster to remove - I wasted a lot of time using a die grinder deburring bit. It instantly got clogged with aluminum and was about the dumbest way to go about doing it. Be certain not to remove any of the sealing surface for the actuator or you’ll have to replace the cover. ALSO - I saw a thread yesterday on a guy who trimmed his outer cover to eliminate having to loosen the exhaust system to finagle it out. An excellent idea while your in there anyway...

BIG shout-outs to MJ Webb for making us aware of this, and to $tonecold for taking the time to respond to my PM’s. More importantly, $tone could have continued to sell his kits and recovered some of his own time and money, but instead continued to research alternatives for those of us that are broke.

The following 3 users liked this post by Steel Wheels:
Hawg Runner (05-31-2019), mjwebb (05-31-2019), MTBIG G (05-31-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 11:36 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

thanks but me reporting it was like giving Columbus credit for discovering America..like they wouldn't have found that!..LOL..anyway, Steve Cole and $tonecold pioneered and put a helluva lot of time and effort into researching this early on, and Stonecold was so generous and helpful to so many...time is the most valuable gift one can give and maybe it was a labor of love of sorts for him but he engineered a solution and shared it with everyone which was very cool. If my minor migration ever progresses to the point of being unmanageable I'll go the HD primary vent route as I have an ESP and it seems very promising at this point

The following users liked this post:
Hawg Runner (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 07:20 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Think maybe you could post up some pics of what you specifically did?

Old 05-31-2019, 07:35 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
My ‘17 107 began transferring trans fluid to the primary pretty much from new, but not badly enough to concern me. MJ Webb was the first to bring this issue to everyone’s attention, and that’s when I began monitoring mine more frequently. For a while it actually seemed to improve, but at around the 8K mark the pace went up to 10 - 15 oz every 3K miles. I watched the forum until enough time had passed for fixes (and causes) to stand the test of time. What caught my eye was $tonecolds’ inner cover mod; it cost nothing and seemed logical.

Almost 3500 miles ago I did the relief work myself, changed oil and monitored frequently. After making a cross country ride done mostly on the interstates I looked again, and am HAPPY to report no discernible fluid loss. I’ve done no mods beyond the relief work on the inner cover.

i realize this issue has been discussed extensively elsewhere on here, but I’d like to see this thread reserved for others who’ve put enough miles on to confirm this solution works. For those interested, the section of cover that gets removed is best done with a series of holes drilled around the circumference of the actuator mount. I believe that would have made it much faster to remove - I wasted a lot of time using a die grinder deburring bit. It instantly got clogged with aluminum and was about the dumbest way to go about doing it. Be certain not to remove any of the sealing surface for the actuator or you’ll have to replace the cover. ALSO - I saw a thread yesterday on a guy who trimmed his outer cover to eliminate having to loosen the exhaust system to finagle it out. An excellent idea while your in there anyway...

BIG shout-outs to MJ Webb for making us aware of this, and to $tonecold for taking the time to respond to my PM’s. More importantly, $tone could have continued to sell his kits and recovered some of his own time and money, but instead continued to research alternatives for those of us that are broke.
If some one wants to send me a cover that’s been done I can set the Bridgeport up a do a few at a time.....as long as it works. I haven’t really seen what it looks like. Vented mine....but I never had a problem.. As long as nobody is doing them...dint want to step on toes. Shop is here in CT.

dcfatboy (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 08:34 AM
DRBUICK
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 202 Posts

Added a vent no problems now did the side cover like stonecold said still moved fluid.

Bumpandrun (06-02-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 08:50 AM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Dr. Buick, thanks for the input. Hopefully you’ll prove to be the exception and not the rule.

For others, this is how the modification is done. $tone cold may have an extra, so for those that don’t want to try, he may be able to help - or take Bumpandruns’ offer.

Bumpandrun (06-02-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 09:28 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

I have the OE pushrod and my inner cover modified on the back side at the 7-8 o’clock and 4-5 o’clock positions. I also drilled a few 1/4” holes along the bottom radius where the boot seals at the middle convex dish area when looking from the outer side. I moved 2-3 ounces of fluid this past weekend in the mountains on a 512 mile ride. Hard acceleration and decelerations and engine braking. Either I don’t have enough relief on the back side OR the fluid levels rise above the main shaft ID location in hard right hand curves and the fluid sips into the mainshaft ID as the bike leans back upright coming out the RH curves.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just conveying what I have going on. In normal daily flat land city and interstate commute of almost 900 miles aside from the 512 however there’s no transfer.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:56 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 825 Likes on 493 Posts

[QUOTE=mjwebb;18294945]thanks but me reporting it was like giving Columbus credit for discovering America..like they wouldn't have found that!..LOL..anyway, Steve Cole and $tonecold pioneered and put a helluva lot of time and effort into researching this early on, and Stonecold was so generous and helpful to so many...time is the most valuable gift one can give and maybe it was a labor of love of sorts for him but he engineered a solution and shared it with everyone which was very cool. If my minor migration ever progresses to the point of being unmanageable I'll go the HD primary vent route as I have an ESP and it seems very promising at this point[/QUO
Smart man

Old 06-01-2019, 07:30 AM
bigcraig
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RK14SGS
I have the OE pushrod and my inner cover modified on the back side at the 7-8 o’clock and 4-5 o’clock positions. I also drilled a few 1/4” holes along the bottom radius where the boot seals at the middle convex dish area when looking from the outer side. I moved 2-3 ounces of fluid this past weekend in the mountains on a 512 mile ride. Hard acceleration and decelerations and engine braking. Either I don’t have enough relief on the back side OR the fluid levels rise above the main shaft ID location in hard right hand curves and the fluid sips into the mainshaft ID as the bike leans back upright coming out the RH curves.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just conveying what I have going on. In normal daily flat land city and interstate commute of almost 900 miles aside from the 512 however there’s no transfer.
You need to remove the entire convex area, the convex area is still allowing trans fluid to push up high enough to the push rod bore.

Mattbastard (06-01-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 02:27 PM
hdrider1
Tourer
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts

Seems like inistalling the fat pushrod or using the Harley Primary Vent kit would be a lot easier solution.

Last edited by hdrider1; 06-01-2019 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Spelling error
The following 2 users liked this post by hdrider1:
flash1034 (06-27-2019), Silentgreyfellow (06-01-2019)

Quick Reply: Transfer issue resolved