M8 burned oil and loss of power what does harley do in 2019

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 03:47 PM
danh@bowerspower.com
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M8 burned oil and loss of power what does harley do in 2019

Hi took delivery of 2019 trike a few weeks ago

road around town per break in instruction, last week road 75 miles on freeway st 60

noticed som loss of power at end of ride then smelled burned oil put in garage and checked oil - down a quart and very strong smell of burned oil

transmission no oil on dipstick....put pipe cleaner down trans dipstick hole. ..found fluid 1 1/2 inch below dipstick

called dealer for pickup

waiting for tear down

what is HD doing with seized engines?

Old 06-02-2019, 04:45 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,519 Likes on 4,422 Posts

Originally Posted by danh@bowerspower.com

road around town per break in instruction, last week road 75 miles on freeway st 60

noticed som loss of power at end of ride then smelled burned oil put in garage and checked oil - down a quart and very strong smell of burned oil

transmission no oil on dipstick....put pipe cleaner down trans dipstick hole. ..found fluid 1 1/2 inch below dipstick

called dealer for pickup

waiting for tear down

fixing them, replacing them, whatever they have to under warranty

The following users liked this post:
Eccool (06-03-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 08:32 PM
Wmitz
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

called dealer for pickup

waiting for tear down

Might not be what you think it is. Sounds like it might have sumped. My 18 tri sumped 3 times. The first time I had to run a long way to the dealer it unsumped itself, picked it up, less than 40 miles later back at the dealer, 16 oz of oil in the bottom end. They fixed it, 140 miles later back in the shop. Got the prototype new pump from the factory, it just took forever. The bike was never the same, developed more issues, got rid of it. The trans migration, ask them to measure how much oil comes out of the primary. I feel for ya, get in good with the service manager. Let the sales guy know what’s on also. My guy helped me get a good deal on another bike. Be polite, but don’t let them try to bullshit you either. Good luck, keep us in the loop.

Last edited by Wmitz; 06-02-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:58 PM
danh@bowerspower.com
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks

thanks, I am good friends with service writer

had a street glide a few years back that had horrible valve noise engine company did nothing - dealer went a long way to help
Good idea about contacting sales guy

thank you

Old 06-02-2019, 09:27 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

called dealer for pickup

waiting for tear down

Start reading up on “sumping”. You have a frustrating month or so ahead of you. The more informed you are about sumping, the better off you’ll be. Start by reading HD’s Service Bulletin 1450. Good luck.

Campy Roadie (06-03-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 09:37 PM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Start reading up on “sumping”. You have a frustrating month or so ahead of you. The more informed you are about sumping, the better off you’ll be. Start by reading HD’s Service Bulletin 1450. Good luck.
I claim no special knowledge about sumping. And I have figured out that there are few (if any) folks that can explain exactly why it happens and therefore can't predict when it will happen. But from all the anecdotal experiences with sumping that are contained in this forum, it just seems inconceivable to me that whatever happened to the OP was sumping. To my knowledge, no one has described a riding history as short and mundane as the OP has described and then experienced sumping.

As I said....I have no real knowledge here, but I will be watching this case with interest to see what the ultimate cause is determined to be and what remedy will be implemented.

Am I missing something here?

Old 06-02-2019, 09:43 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by cmhdwg09
I claim no special knowledge about sumping. And I have figured out that there are few (if any) folks that can explain exactly why it happens and therefore can't predict when it will happen. But from all the anecdotal experiences with sumping that are contained in this forum, it just seems inconceivable to me that whatever happened to the OP was sumping. To my knowledge, no one has described a riding history as short and mundane as the OP has described and then experienced sumping.

As I said....I have no real knowledge here, but I will be watching this case with interest to see what the ultimate cause is determined to be and what remedy will be implemented.

You haven’t installed any stage kits have you ? So it’s a stocker that has about 100 miles on it.

Wiz 🍻

Old 06-02-2019, 09:45 PM
Heatwave

Classic sumping symptons. Loss of power. Smell of burning oil. Oil level extremely low on dipstick. Guaranteed its sumping.

All it takes is a bike that is susceptible to sumping to reach full temp and rpms that overwhelm the oil pump’s ability to remove oil from the crankcase faster then its arriving. Crankcase fills And the crank starts sloshing through the excess oil, generating heat. Do it long enough and lots of bad things can happen to the engine.

75 miles is plenty of time for the engine to sump bad enough to lose power. I experienced it once in less than 50 miles.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:08 PM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Classic sumping symptons. Loss of power. Smell of burning oil. Oil level extremely low on dipstick. Guaranteed its sumping.

All it takes is a bike that is susceptible to sumping to reach full temp and rpms that overwhelm the oil pump’s ability to remove oil from the crankcase faster then its arriving. Crankcase fills And the crank starts sloshing through the excess oil, generating heat. Do it long enough and lots of bad things can happen to the engine.

75 miles is plenty of time for the engine to sump bad enough to lose power. I experienced it once in less than 50 miles.

And based on the history of this issue, your CVOs would definitely have fit into a "susceptible" category. The confusing (and disturbing)thing with the OP is that this is a stock unmodified 2019 M8 and statistically there should have been a less that 1% chance of occurring. Just proves how difficult this phenomena is to deal with. P.S. what are the odds of sumping and transfer happening simultaneously in the first month of ownership? Yeah....I'm a little skeptical.

Last edited by cmhdwg09; 06-02-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:21 PM
Heatwave

And based on the history of this issue, your CVOs would definitely have fit into a "susceptible" category. The confusing (and disturbing)thing with the OP is that this is a stock unmodified 2019 M8 and statistically there should have been a less that 1% chance of occurring. Just proves how difficult this phenomena is to deal with. P.S. what are the odds of sumping and transfer happening simultaneously in the first month of ownership? Yeah....I'm a little skeptical.
While a stock M8 has a lower probability of sumping based on reported examples, there have still been numerous examples of stock M8s that have sumped. In fact, there have been a fair number of posts reporting stock Trikes that have sumped. Perhaps the additional drivetrain load and weight contributes to potential sumping conditions.

Where did you get the “1%” figure from. Is that just your personal “SWAG” or a sourced data point?

Last edited by Heatwave; 06-02-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Campy Roadie (06-03-2019)

Quick Reply: M8 burned oil and loss of power what does harley do in 2019