Sponsored by:

is the dealer being shady?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 11:21 AM
Junker
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutchy3051
Junker, you're not paying attention!!!! See post #9, follow the above directions and then show us the reading on the engine oil dipstick. Wake-up, because you are wasting our time with your improper procedure. It does look over filled from your photo, but you're not reading it HOT AFTER IDLING for TWO MINUTES then shutting it down and reading AFTER about TWO MINUTES. So, go for a 30 minute ride and then follow the correct procedure. Why aren't others seeing this, am I missing something? I'm starting to think Junker is a troll!Dutchy

First of your mother is a ****ing troll! And 2nd You need to learn how to follow directions. There is no need for putting someone down when trying to verify information. You sir, must have issues. Please seek help.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:22 AM
Junker
Cruiser

Originally Posted by brandonsmith

trans check

thank you!

Old 06-03-2019, 12:51 PM
Dutchy3051
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks Brandon. I guess I finally woke the sleeping giant...LOL
Of course there's a way to check the oil when cold. Just think what would happen if you saw a puddle of oil under your bike and decided that you needed to run it for 30 minutes to check the oil hot! However, Mr. Junker checking his level cold still didn't indicate whether he idled the bike at shutdown the last time that he rode it...so his measurement isn't accurate unless he tells us he did idle it as required! If he talks to his IDIOT dealer like he just did to me than he has met his match! His dealer will rook him of his cash where our efforts to assist are just that, Efforts of fellow riders trying to assist other riders for free, just our time. As for my Mother, who is twice the man that Mr. Junker thinks he is, She just sold her bike this spring after riding about 33K miles in the past five years. She's 82 !!!
So may Junker enjoy his ride to his satisfaction, eventually. I'm done, Dutchy

Old 06-03-2019, 01:09 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Yeah, I don't think the cold level check is worthwhile. Hardly anyone lets their engine idle a full two minutes before shutdown after arriving home, unless they planned to check the cold level the next day. Maybe somebody doesn't like handling the hot dipstick. But to me, the hot check is the best one, and it can be done with bike either on jiffy stand or upright, as indicated on the dipstick.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:14 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,529 Likes on 4,426 Posts
The following users liked this post:
BrandonSmith (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 03:17 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

i look at the cold check as merely a verification that there is oil in the bike and it is safe to start. for an accurate assessment of how much oil, then yeah, hot check it is.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:26 PM
Junker
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dutchy3051
Thanks Brandon. I guess I finally woke the sleeping giant...LOL
Of course there's a way to check the oil when cold. Just think what would happen if you saw a puddle of oil under your bike and decided that you needed to run it for 30 minutes to check the oil hot! However, Mr. Junker checking his level cold still didn't indicate whether he idled the bike at shutdown the last time that he rode it...so his measurement isn't accurate unless he tells us he did idle it as required! If he talks to his IDIOT dealer like he just did to me than he has met his match! His dealer will rook him of his cash where our efforts to assist are just that, Efforts of fellow riders trying to assist other riders for free, just our time. As for my Mother, who is twice the man that Mr. Junker thinks he is, She just sold her bike this spring after riding about 33K miles in the past five years. She's 82 !!!
So may Junker enjoy his ride to his satisfaction, eventually. I'm done, Dutchy

What's the point of idling for 2 min? to ensure you scavenge as much oil as possible from the crank case as possible and have as much oil in the tank as possible to get an accurate level reading. So, with hot expanded oil, and the extra oil scavenged from the 2 min idle would cause the level on the dipstick to be higher than it would be cold. Now I know douche oh dutchy , sorry my bad, didn't disagree with my assessment of being over filled but, those steps were clearly not needed to determine that it is overfilled. And also ignorant of him to assume someone's mechanical expertise and make derogatory statements.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:31 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,529 Likes on 4,426 Posts

Originally Posted by Junker
What's the point of idling for 2 min? to ensure you scavenge as much oil as possible from the crank case as possible and have as much oil in the tank as possible to get an accurate level reading. So, with hot expanded oil, and the extra oil scavenged from the 2 min idle would cause the level on the dipstick to be higher than it would be cold. Now I know douche oh dutchy , sorry my bad, didn't disagree with my assessment of being over filled but, those steps were clearly not needed to determine that it is overfilled. And also ignorant of him to assume someone's mechanical expertise and make derogatory statements.
that is exactly the reason

Junker (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 03:42 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,160 Likes on 3,518 Posts

Firstly, there is no way that your engine consumed 2 qts of oil in 100 miles. No. Way. If it had, you'd have been smoking out of the exhaust. I don't believe the sump can hold 2 qts.

I always check my oil AFTER the ride, every ride. The 2-minute idling procedure works as intended. When i change the oil, I keep it right at the "hot full" mark. It never consumes oil @ 5K change intervals. Best of luck to you.

SMR65 (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 03:48 PM
Junker
Cruiser

Originally Posted by strych9
Firstly, there is no way that your engine consumed 2 qts of oil in 100 miles. No. Way. If it had, you'd have been smoking out of the exhaust. I don't believe the sump can hold 2 qts.

I always check my oil AFTER the ride, every ride. The 2-minute idling procedure works as intended. When i change the oil, I keep it right at the "hot full" mark. It never consumes oil @ 5K change intervals. Best of luck to you.

I don't believe it consumed the 2 qts in the 1st 100 miles. That's how I found after the first 100. I just don't think they ever checked the fluids during pre delivery PDI. The trans kept getting lower as the mileage increased.

Quick Reply: is the dealer being shady?