Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid Transfer Class Action Lawsuit.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 12:47 PM
bikermikee
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Fluid Transfer Class Action Lawsuit.

Are there any lawyers in here that would start a class action lawsuit against Harley Davidson concerning the transmission fluid transfer.

BLUF: I posted videos last night of me opening my derby cover and 3-4oz of fluid poured out. I called Black Hills Harley today, my dealer, and told them I'd like to get scheduled for the vent fix before my warranty expires. Their response was, because I opened my case and drained the fluid, I will need to ride my bike sufficient miles for transfer to occur again so they can measure the amount of transfer to validate warranty repair. The warranty won't accept video evidence of transfer, they have to be able to measure it.
So let me get this straight, I need to ride my 25k bike and intentionally allow my oil levels in my tyranny to drop and potentially causing long term damage to the internal workings of transmission just so you can measure it? Wtf??

Can you imagine if GE or Rolls Royce told the airlines, yes we know our engines have a fluid control problem but you need to fly the aircraft until enough oil is lost before we will fix the issue. And no, we're not going to fix the damage to the engines, we're just going to stop the problem we know exists. Ludicrous.

Harley has a known manufacturer defect, has issued numerous service bulletins on the issue and manufactured two different parts to fix the issue. And yet, they still want us to ride the bikes with the issue to " prove the problem exists" then they will fix it.

Enough is enough.... If anybody gets legal action going to force Harley to stop jerking us around and fix these darn bikes, I'll be the first to sign up!!

Rant over..

The following 2 users liked this post by bikermikee:
Clay Rocker (06-06-2019), Sam D. (06-11-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 01:02 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

Good luck w that. They are fixing it when it is reported. On to other unicorn fantasies...

The following 2 users liked this post by Keithhu:
Hawg Runner (06-06-2019), RFG7680 (10-09-2021)
Old 06-05-2019, 01:14 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,731 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by bikermikee
Are there any lawyers in here that would start a class action lawsuit against Harley Davidson concerning the transmission fluid transfer.

BLUF: I posted videos last night of me opening my derby cover and 3-4oz of fluid poured out. I called Black Hills Harley today, my dealer, and told them I'd like to get scheduled for the vent fix before my warranty expires. Their response was, because I opened my case and drained the fluid, I will need to ride my bike sufficient miles for transfer to occur again so they can measure the amount of transfer to validate warranty repair. The warranty won't accept video evidence of transfer, they have to be able to measure it.
So let me get this straight, I need to ride my 25k bike and intentionally allow my oil levels in my tyranny to drop and potentially causing long term damage to the internal workings of transmission just so you can measure it? Wtf??

Can you imagine if GE or Rolls Royce told the airlines, yes we know our engines have a fluid control problem but you need to fly the aircraft until enough oil is lost before we will fix the issue. And no, we're not going to fix the damage to the engines, we're just going to stop the problem we know exists. Ludicrous.

Harley has a known manufacturer defect, has issued numerous service bulletins on the issue and manufactured two different parts to fix the issue. And yet, they still want us to ride the bikes with the issue to " prove the problem exists" then they will fix it.

Enough is enough.... If anybody gets legal action going to force Harley to stop jerking us around and fix these darn bikes, I'll be the first to sign up!!

Rant over..
Did you drain the primary and refill it or drain it down to the correct level? If so, how are they going to know there was transfer? Take it in, let them set the levels correctly and document it. Then ride it and have them document the transfer and they’ll fix it. They’re not refusing to fix it, but they have criteria they have to meet in order to file a warranty claim and get paid for it. You can’t blame them for wanting to get paid.

The following 3 users liked this post by $tonecold:
FLTRI17 (10-06-2021), Hawg Runner (06-06-2019), SPRINGER (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 01:43 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,206 Likes on 1,394 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Did you drain the primary and refill it or drain it down to the correct level? If so, how are they going to know there was transfer? Take it in, let them set the levels correctly and document it. Then ride it and have them document the transfer and they’ll fix it. They’re not refusing to fix it, but they have criteria they have to meet in order to file a warranty claim and get paid for it. You can’t blame them for wanting to get paid.
That's exactly what the service bulletin says to do, as well. You take it in there in 1000 miles and they will tell you they need to set the fluid level first. Then you'll be riding it for ANOTHER 1000 miles before they measure what comes out.

Also, if you didn't drain the primary back down to where it needs to be, there is still plenty of fluid left in the primary. If you have the derby cover off with the vehicle upright, the fluid would have only gone down to the bottom of the derby cover opening - that is still WAY overfilled.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:46 PM
bikermikee
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

They did the oil change last year during sturgis so the levels were correct then. The tyranny is low now and I've got video of the fluid draining. It's broke, they know it's broke and they have a fix... Fix the damn thing. They don't need to make their customers jump though hoops to validate something they already know is wrong.

The following 3 users liked this post by bikermikee:
Atitagain (06-05-2019), jeffro09 (10-05-2021), RET_SCPO (06-10-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 01:47 PM
LJLKRL05
Tourer
Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

And if you lean it over to the right a little you might be able to add some back

The following 3 users liked this post by LJLKRL05:
Chasingdrakes (10-09-2021), FXDF Whiskey Throttle (06-06-2019), TDSnowSPR (06-06-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 01:49 PM
h7009
Tourer
Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

So I assume, that your get your trans and primary fluid provided for by them (Cost XX), then drive it another 1000 miles, and they change the fluid again (Cost XX) and then they will order and install the Vent fix. So a guy has a video and has already shown the issue, you would think Harley would be saving money, fluids and labor to just fix it. But I could be wrong. CSM-H

Old 06-05-2019, 01:59 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,122 Likes on 3,504 Posts

Originally Posted by bikermikee
They did the oil change last year during sturgis so the levels were correct then. The tyranny is low now and I've got video of the fluid draining. It's broke, they know it's broke and they have a fix... Fix the damn thing. They don't need to make their customers jump though hoops to validate something they already know is wrong.
I understand your frustration, but there is a process for all warranty repairs and it has to be followed. They own the warranty, it's their rules. Play ball.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:23 PM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

Sorry for you grief!
My dealer fixed my 2019 CVO that transferred 20oz. in 1500 miles after I did the first fluid change and only had to verbally tell them it transferred. Done deal, no argument or headache, vent installed, no cost to me...
I guess it's all about the dealer and your relationship with them. Zion HD in Washington Utah is +10 and always has been,

The following users liked this post:
Clay Rocker (06-06-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 03:30 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

They wanted me to ride my bike 1000 miles to prove it's leaking. Seriously? I mean it's sooo hard. That's more miles than I do in a full year. They're friggin crazy. My bike, my miles. How dare they.

To make matters worse, M'Frs didn't have no donuts in the waiting area when I brought mine in. I complained to the general manager and he laughed at me.

Think I'll sue. Get me some donuts money. I'll show them what happens when they mess with this hard core biker. They gonna learn.

Last edited by lp; 06-05-2019 at 03:34 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by lp:
BrandonSmith (06-05-2019), Dan89FLSTC (06-09-2019), IronAss (06-06-2019), MTBIG G (06-05-2019), strych9 (06-05-2019), Wmitz (06-05-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Fluid Transfer Class Action Lawsuit.