Sponsored by:

Air Cleaner Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 10:07 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
I wonder if the scoop is to reduce the intake noise? It may just be a fig leaf so Harley can claim they are sticking with the EPA guidelines. I don't think it would add any performance value but who knows.
who knows, the pic is of a TC so maybe that was part of a backplate AC kit..I could understand the benefit of the scoop if it was in an enclosed AC cover to allow the incoming rush of air to swirl around the entire AF but...dunno' what they got going with that piece for my M8 application

Old 07-04-2019, 11:10 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

got inspired by DaddyKnuck and pulled the trigger...black provides some contrast and looks better than I thought it would..like the simple understated old school round look and can see more of the engine than the bulky OEM 'Ham Can' and keeps more dirt out of the air cleaner and offers better wet weather protection

Last edited by mjwebb; 07-04-2019 at 11:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
porkster (08-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 08:43 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

Looks Good! I was going to go with the black air cleaner but I found a deluxe one first. In my opinion you just can see so much more of the engine with the round air cleaner

mjwebb (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 10:05 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
Looks Good! I was going to go with the black air cleaner but I found a deluxe one first. In my opinion you just can see so much more of the engine with the round air cleaner
yours looks perfect on your bike with the paint, etc...mine's just so so, plain looking and not a great match but they had a parts table sale going on so I got the AC Kit and Round Cover for $215, was impatient and said what the hell just try black...main thing I wanted was a different look and more protection than the forward facing K&N force fed sandblaster hi flow..lol..glad you posted yours or I wouldn't have come up with this

Old 07-07-2019, 04:00 PM
CWOFOR
Tourer
Received 144 Likes on 86 Posts

Picked up mine from another member for 60 bucks; it came off of a '19 Super Glide. I wasn't to sure about the black, but it is growing on me. I also did a 1" tank lift at the same time. It runs the same and the fuel mileage is the same as the "Ham can".

Last edited by CWOFOR; 07-07-2019 at 04:06 PM. Reason: add pic
The following 2 users liked this post by CWOFOR:
ERummy (07-08-2019), porkster (08-06-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:21 AM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
got inspired by DaddyKnuck and pulled the trigger...black provides some contrast and looks better than I thought it would..like the simple understated old school round look and can see more of the engine than the bulky OEM 'Ham Can' and keeps more dirt out of the air cleaner and offers better wet weather protection
Looks good MJ so I ordered the chrome one. Looks like the cover has a slot on it? Do you know what the slot on the cover is for and how did you position yours? Thanks!

Old 07-09-2019, 10:32 AM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
who knows, the pic is of a TC so maybe that was part of a backplate AC kit..I could understand the benefit of the scoop if it was in an enclosed AC cover to allow the incoming rush of air to swirl around the entire AF but...dunno' what they got going with that piece for my M8 application
The pic of the scoop of the Bobber cover looks like a Sportster motor?

Old 07-09-2019, 05:50 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SomeOld Biker
Looks good MJ so I ordered the chrome one. Looks like the cover has a slot on it? Do you know what the slot on the cover is for and how did you position yours? Thanks!
Description says cutaway is to maximize airflow and position it on the bottom, bike runs exactly the same as i expected but more protection from what mother nature throws at it and should keep the filter cleaner for longer

SomeOld Biker (07-09-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 08:37 PM
BoneGlide
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

These Softail air cleaners look good on Milwaukee 18 touring bikes!

Do any of you who have these installed noticed leg interference with the round air cleaner style? In defense of HD designers... the ham can does have some taper to it which helps ease leg interference with the air cleaner.

Second question, does the Softail air cleaner produce any different intake noise than this stock cleaner?

Thanks much.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:52 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BoneGlide
These Softail air cleaners look good on Milwaukee 18 touring bikes!

Do any of you who have these installed noticed leg interference with the round air cleaner style? In defense of HD designers... the ham can does have some taper to it which helps ease leg interference with the air cleaner.

Second question, does the Softail air cleaner produce any different intake noise than this stock cleaner?

Thanks much.
negatory on both...i just think they look more vintage appropriate on the Road King, and love the fact the air filter will stay cleaner longer..trying to talk my wife into ditching her SE Hi Flow also but she doesn't want to

Quick Reply: Air Cleaner Swap