Sponsored by:

Air Cleaner Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 07:06 AM
CWOFOR
Tourer
Received 155 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by BoneGlide
These Softail air cleaners look good on Milwaukee 18 touring bikes!

Do any of you who have these installed noticed leg interference with the round air cleaner style? In defense of HD designers... the ham can does have some taper to it which helps ease leg interference with the air cleaner.

Second question, does the Softail air cleaner produce any different intake noise than this stock cleaner?

Thanks much.
I actually have more leg clearance and it is quieter (to me). And mine came from a '19 Sport Glide (not the '19 Super Glide I previously stated). I do suffer from sometimers ( some times I can't remember s*$t).

Old 08-04-2019, 07:29 PM
BoneGlide
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I finally found softail air cleaner on eBay and got it installed Saturday.

While I was in there decided to do some plumbing and get that freaking crank breather puke out of my intake. Routed hose out of stock housing and down to a repurposed air compressor filter located behind huge oil cooler. Cant even see it.

My 2018 has less than 5,000 miles, and when I manually open the EFI butterfly valve of the intake using a flashlight ....there is a lot of oily gummy buildup on the walls throttle body interior.

Wondering if I should use some carb intake cleaner and spray all that down while the engine is running. ??

The following users liked this post:
Candler (08-10-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 11:49 AM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

FWIW, the slot on the bottom of the Evo covers was for the top of the carb, IIRC?

i put the HD Stage1 on a M8 with a round Evo cleaner, and had to put spacers between the outer edge of the filter (you can rock the filter around if you hold it up there by hand)

Old 08-06-2019, 07:27 AM
Cold Forged
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I really like that, thinking of doing the same with these..thinking the bobber round cover will work...tired of the SE Hi Flow AC/AF combo getting filled with bugs and getting gross quickly..what I haven't figured out is the air scoop part shown in the pic but not included

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...nd-center-bolt

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...-cleaner-cover
MJ,

I was thinking of doing something similar...it's just that the Bobber Dog Bowl looks so plain and the new Ratchet & Caliber Covers don't really "Cover" the filter very well (and, they are only available in black so far).
I was previously considering going with the low-profile Ventilator, but that doesn't come with a shroud to hide the lower servo connector like the new round high-flow air cleaner does. And, the Ventilator has a very exposed filter.

I discussed several options at my dealer to get a Bobber Style cover with more "bling", but the H-D parts guy suggested I wait another few weeks to see if any new designs are made available at an upcoming new product release...

Question: How has the new Round High-Flow air cleaner been for oil leakage? I see that it utilizes a new type of breather oil drip tubes.
(I ask this because there are at least 2 reviews on the H-D Accessory Site that claim oil dripping/leaking with this style air cleaner.)

Last edited by Cold Forged; 08-06-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:00 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,529 Likes on 4,426 Posts

B
Originally Posted by Cold Forged
MJ,

I was thinking of doing something similar...it's just that the Bobber Dog Bowl looks so plain and the new Ratchet & Caliber Covers don't really "Cover" the filter very well (and, they are only available in black so far).
I was previously considering going with the low-profile Ventilator, but that doesn't come with a shroud to hide the lower servo connector like the new round high-flow air cleaner does. And, the Ventilator has a very exposed filter.

I discussed several options at my dealer to get a Bobber Style cover with more "bling", but the H-D parts guy suggested I wait another few weeks to see if any new designs are made available at an upcoming new product release...

Question: How has the new Round High-Flow air cleaner been for oil leakage? I see that it utilizes a new type of breather oil drip tubes.
(I ask this because there are at least 2 reviews on the H-D Accessory Site that claim oil dripping/leaking with this style air cleaner.)
Working great, as i hoped it would. I’ve ran hard for a couple thousand miles at high speeds and high temps and no messy dribble. Glad i ditched the SE Hi Flow for this set up, which didn’t dribble since they updated the tubes just got too filthy too quickly

Last edited by mjwebb; 08-06-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Cold Forged (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 07:33 PM
Fitterwelder
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Spam can

AN a/c with a shaved down cover ...redneck engineering

Old 08-09-2019, 08:14 AM
Agoober
Banned
Received 1,004 Likes on 713 Posts

All these look way better than stock to me !

Peace.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:01 AM
19special
Banned
Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Fitterwelder

AN a/c with a shaved down cover ...redneck engineering

How did you do that? What filter did you use?

Ok I believe that is a Arlen Ness big big sucker filter.

Last edited by 19special; 08-10-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Fitterwelder (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 12:52 PM
Fitterwelder
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Big sucker

Yes it is a big sucker...its rather noisy but oh well

Old 08-10-2019, 01:13 PM
Studlintsean
Road Warrior
Received 899 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I really like that, thinking of doing the same with these..thinking the bobber round cover will work...tired of the SE Hi Flow AC/AF combo getting filled with bugs and getting gross quickly..what I haven't figured out is the air scoop part shown in the pic but not included

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...nd-center-bolt

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...-cleaner-cover
This air cover does not show as fitting a 2019 Street Glide on the website but the filter does. Can anyone confirm this? If not, I’ll ask the parts guy at my local dealership (or he may see this and chime in). I really like this look. Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Air Cleaner Swap