Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   Need help troubleshooting my bike regarding SE pro street tuner (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1287264-need-help-troubleshooting-my-bike-regarding-se-pro-street-tuner.html)

matte 06-07-2019 07:48 AM

Need help troubleshooting my bike regarding SE pro street tuner

I have a 2017 RGS. I have V&H power duals with a performance machine Jet AC that I just installed. The night I installed the AC, I fired the bike up and make sure there was no overt problems. RPMs were super high and I presumed it was because of the high flow AC and the engine needed to be tuned. This was planned for last night.

I am using the SE pro street tuner for warranty purposes (not going with another so please don't bother with that). I went to autotune last night and found that my RPMs would sit around 3000. For a few seconds, the engine with no throttle would go up to the 4000s, than slowly go back down to 3ks. After attempting to autotune on a local street, I was finding that the RPMs were not allowing the map to really collect data accurately. The bike persistently would be pulling and I couldn't easily get the RPMs down without braking while in a higher gear. I switched to a default stage 1 map and it appeared to calm down the idle to around 12-1500 (which still felt too high for an idle).

This morning I fired the bike up and the idle stuck around as I had left it (12-1500). As soon as I got on to ride, the RPMs shot back up to 3000 and stuck there down my road. The bike was back to pulling no matter the gear and wanted to sit at that higher RPM area. Couldn't ride it in to work like that so brought it home into the garage to mess with it again tonight.

I will likely get it to a dealer, but they are typically backed up around here. Any thoughts on where my problem could be in this situation?

Harttoo 06-07-2019 07:54 AM

I would remove the A/C and see if idle returns to normal.Should be 950 rpm.

mjwebb 06-07-2019 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by matte (Post 18312149)
I have a 2017 RGS. I have V&H power duals with a performance machine Jet AC that I just installed. The night I installed the AC, I fired the bike up and make sure there was no overt problems. RPMs were super high and I presumed it was because of the high flow AC and the engine needed to be tuned. This was planned for last night.

I am using the SE pro street tuner for warranty purposes (not going with another so please don't bother with that). I went to autotune last night and found that my RPMs would sit around 3000. For a few seconds, the engine with no throttle would go up to the 4000s, than slowly go back down to 3ks. After attempting to autotune on a local street, I was finding that the RPMs were not allowing the map to really collect data accurately. The bike persistently would be pulling and I couldn't easily get the RPMs down without braking while in a higher gear. I switched to a default stage 1 map and it appeared to calm down the idle to around 12-1500 (which still felt too high for an idle).

This morning I fired the bike up and the idle stuck around as I had left it (12-1500). As soon as I got on to ride, the RPMs shot back up to 3000 and stuck there down my road. The bike was back to pulling no matter the gear and wanted to sit at that higher RPM area. Couldn't ride it in to work like that so brought it home into the garage to mess with it again tonight.

I will likely get it to a dealer, but they are typically backed up around here. Any thoughts on where my problem could be in this situation?

wondering if there is an AC/intake leak..?? are the V&H power duals catless? I believe they are and if so why stick with with the SEPST for warranty purposes when you already kicked that to the curb with emissions defeating exhaust which is a warranty violation..I'd double check the AC and work with V&H on using their FP3 tuner unless their exhaust is emissions compliant, in which case the SEPST should be ok in theory anyway

matte 06-07-2019 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Harttoo (Post 18312164)
I would remove the A/C and see if idle returns to normal.Should be 950 rpm.

That will be on my agenda tonight. So if it's an intake leak, then it could cause that. But no AC on at all wouldn't have that problem?

sixguns 06-07-2019 08:42 AM

Sounds like you upset the manifold seals when you did your air cleaner swap. what did the instructions say with regards to the TB support bracket between the oem backing plate and the heads? Typically that bracket gets discarded with air cleaner upgrades.

matte 06-07-2019 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by sixguns (Post 18312287)
Sounds like you upset the manifold seals when you did your air cleaner swap. what did the instructions say with regards to the TB support bracket between the oem backing plate and the heads? Typically that bracket gets discarded with air cleaner upgrades.

Looking back at the instructions, there's a part that says to discard the throttle body support spacer. Will look it over tonight to see if there was a part I forgot to toss.

edmroadglide 06-07-2019 08:45 PM

ya you have an intake leak for sure somewhere causing it to run lien and raise the rpm.

matte 06-07-2019 10:50 PM

Fixed the problem I believe. There was one last bracket I failed to see when taking off the stock ac which caused a gap. Now it's idling between 1000 and 1500. I still think I need to further auto tune the bike. But for now it appears to be running much better.

matte 06-12-2019 02:40 AM

Discovered a new problem. I finally flashed the bike airport and did some riding to allow the street tuner to better learn the new setup.

Riding home today, my bike had a p0505 code. I noticed while at idle at lights, my bike would idle down to around 800 rpms and blip to 1000 repeatedly. This is different than what others I've read experience where I see persistent higher rpms. I'm gonna get at the idle air control sensor this week and either clean it or test it/replace it necessary. Any other thoughts on this funny idle activity?

skid_pimp 06-12-2019 03:38 AM

I think the SE tuner is not going to be able to tune the aftermarket intake and exhaust combination you chose correctly. If you wanted to stay EPA/warranty compliant, you probably should have only done slipons with an intake of choice. I think those true duals need more adjustment than you are able to provide with the SE tuner. And this is likely where your issues are arising from.