Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well $#it...I sumped this evening

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 07:21 AM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 590 Likes on 309 Posts

My M8 Heritage sumped while riding the legal speed limit from Junction TX to Kerrville TX which is 80mph. Not riding it hard in my opinion, just riding it at the legal limit. Well, perhaps I was going 85, but still, we have some 85mph sections over by Austin.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:01 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,528 Likes on 4,425 Posts

Originally Posted by r0de_runr
My M8 Heritage sumped while riding the legal speed limit from Junction TX to Kerrville TX which is 80mph. Not riding it hard in my opinion, just riding it at the legal limit. Well, perhaps I was going 85, but still, we have some 85mph sections over by Austin.
107 or 114. stock or modified, how many miles on it?

The following users liked this post:
pyuchem (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 08:03 AM
Old Sport
Club Member

Received 1,361 Likes on 599 Posts

My first and second sump came early for me and both times on the interstate. Both times riding somewhat conservatively as a solo rider (light load). Both resulted in engine repair / replacement. Second time included the new cam seal.

Since then I've had one additional instance under heavy load - 2-up, with tour-pak and bags packed full in the Florida heat (95+ degrees). Caught it instantly and was able to pull over for a cool down and allowed the bike to idle-out. No damage that time and no issues since then (but summer is coming...).

Old 06-16-2019, 08:45 AM
Ericson38
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CSMHOG

The oil pump assembly cover with the seal is PN 62400206, the oil pump cover alone is PN 62400204, the seal for the oil pump cover is PN 62400205. So it’s a little confusing when you see the PN in the photo I’m providing on the box compared to the oil pump cover itself.

As previously stated, I purchased this when I upgraded my cam but when I pulled my oil pump out, this was already installed so I left well enough alone. My bike build date is July 2018 and to this day, I’ve never had problem. I’m a daily tech working for an independent bike shop and I run my bike hard! I’ve slammed through the gears redlining each time and then hard after that. It’s not even given a hint of sumping (or oil transfer but that’s another subject and nothing to do with what your dealing with). When I had my oil pump apart, I measured the parts comparatively with the one in the picture, there are no differences. Be careful of the advise you take on this forum, there good advise but poor advise out there too.
So the lip seal is sealing against a rotating crankshaft, camshaft, or is it a static seal to a fixed part that would allow it to last a long time ?

Old 06-16-2019, 08:50 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericson38
So the lip seal is sealing against a rotating crankshaft, camshaft, or is it a static seal to a fixed part that would allow it to last a long time ?
It sits against the non-moving case wall where the pinion shaft comes through into the cam chest.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:28 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Sport
My first and second sump came early for me and both times on the interstate. Both times riding somewhat conservatively as a solo rider (light load). Both resulted in engine repair / replacement. Second time included the new cam seal.

Since then I've had one additional instance
under heavy load - 2-up, with tour-pak and bags packed full in the Florida heat (95+ degrees). Caught it instantly and was able to pull over for a cool down and allowed the bike to idle-out. No damage that time and no issues since then (but summer is coming...).

That's pretty disheartening!

triumph900 (06-21-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 03:51 PM
sandrooney
Road Master
Received 262 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by r0de_runr
Are you sure it sumped? Never heard of one credible report of a softail sumping.

The following 2 users liked this post by sandrooney:
GPHDXLC (06-16-2019), sectime (06-22-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 09:45 PM
Old Sport
Club Member

Received 1,361 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
That's pretty disheartening!
Yep... But not stopping me from enjoying every mile. Bike has actually been running great all spring. Hoping for the best, and if we run into problems again we'll deal.

skid_pimp (06-16-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 01:16 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Do what Heatwave did and undo all the mods then bring it to the dealer for warranty

I don't know how many cross thread points I get for that one!

I see you guys never seem to get enough of me.... even when I'm away for a great week of riding in the White Mountains of NH, VT and Maine for Laconia BikeWeek.

Anyways, all the parts on my bike were HD SE components installed at the dealers, except for one and the bike never sumped with that part installed. Once the new stricter policies by HD were known to be voiding warranties, I returned the bike back to factory/HD standards. Anyone that's made changes to their bike and learns about HD's stricter application of their warranty policies would be wise to return their bike to a compliant status if they want to keep their warranty intact.

Sounds like this new sumping incident is going to end up with claim. The sumping has nothing to do with the cam (other than running through the rpms faster). If he was wise and had any intention of making a warranty claim, he would return the bike to a compliant status and keep it compliant through the warranty expiration. Some may oppose that thinking but if the upgrades were made thinking they were covered because of HD's past "lenient" warranty practices, then I personally have no issue with returning a bike back to a compliant status as soon as you learn about the stricter enforcement of HD's warranty policies.

Not everyone follows these forums and you can bet the vast majority of bike owners have no clue about Harley's far more strict enforcement of their warranty policies than in the past. Anyone I spoke with over the past week at Bikeweek had no clue that HD was voiding warranties for basic upgrades that in the past would have never voided a warranty.

As an aside, I met 2 bikers that also had their M8s sump. (Both CVOs)

Have at it boys....

Last edited by Heatwave; 06-17-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:20 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Sport

Since then I've had one additional instance under heavy load - 2-up, with tour-pak and bags packed full in the Florida heat (95+ degrees). Caught it instantly and was able to pull over for a cool down and allowed the bike to idle-out. No damage that time and no issues since then (but summer is coming...).
Sad to hear. I'm afraid that experience with sumping will NOT be your last. Sumping NEVER heals itself.

Quick Reply: Well $#it...I sumped this evening