Sponsored by:

Well $#it...I sumped this evening

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 03:51 PM
xyzzyxyzzy
Tourer
Received 160 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Here we go again. Now all the Never-sumpers will chime in trying to discredit another guy dealing with sumping.
I sure hope that doesn't happen as sumping, based on my experience, is a sad reality. I say this because I made a deliberate effort to try to force a M8 engine to sump while on a H-D factory sponsored demo ride. For better or worse, I was successful in making the engine sump (see post #107 of this thread). It just is what it is. And for those that are skeptical of my result, wait for the H-D demo truck to come to a dealer near you and give a bike/trike the test described in post #107. Maybe the engine you test will sump, maybe it won't. Either way, it's a useful data point we can all use.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:17 AM
JohnTz
Cruiser
Received 129 Likes on 44 Posts

Post #107 is non sense. Who does that in the real world and I doubt no one told you to cut it out as it would be obvious you were screaming it to the whole ride line.

Proves you got a bike very hot and that’s it. Logical result of running at redline for miles. Any bike would get hot after being abused like that.

By the way do your experiments on your own equipment in the future.

The following 8 users liked this post by JohnTz:
bradsULtd (06-22-2019), Candler (07-16-2019), DTTJGlide (06-22-2019), Dynamick (06-23-2019), FatBob2018 (06-22-2019), mjwebb (06-22-2019), Silentgreyfellow (06-22-2019), Steve N, (07-18-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-22-2019, 07:27 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by xyzzyxyzzy
I sure hope that doesn't happen as sumping, based on my experience, is a sad reality. I say this because I made a deliberate effort to try to force a M8 engine to sump while on a H-D factory sponsored demo ride. For better or worse, I was successful in making the engine sump (see post #107 of this thread). It just is what it is. And for those that are skeptical of my result, wait for the H-D demo truck to come to a dealer near you and give a bike/trike the test described in post #107. Maybe the engine you test will sump, maybe it won't. Either way, it's a useful data point we can all use.
And you sir, are the reason I always order my bikes straight from the factory.

The following 7 users liked this post by skid_pimp:
FranBunnyFFXII (08-22-2019), mazz (06-22-2019), mjwebb (06-22-2019), Northernproducer (06-22-2019), sectime (06-22-2019), Steve N, (07-18-2019), tbob (06-23-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-22-2019, 07:43 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,528 Likes on 4,425 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnTz
Post #107 is non sense. Who does that in the real world and I doubt no one told you to cut it out as it would be obvious you were screaming it to the whole ride line.

Proves you got a bike very hot and that’s it. Logical result of running at redline for miles. Any bike would get hot after being abused like that.

By the way do your experiments on your own equipment in the future.
no $h!t....take someone elses brand new $35,000 vehicle and intentionally try to damage the engine..what kind of person does that sort of thing..answer, very few but we found one of them

The following 7 users liked this post by mjwebb:
Candler (07-16-2019), DTTJGlide (06-22-2019), FatBob2018 (06-22-2019), FranBunnyFFXII (08-22-2019), Silentgreyfellow (06-22-2019), skid_pimp (06-22-2019), Steve N, (07-18-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-22-2019, 08:59 AM
sandrooney
Road Master
Received 262 Likes on 176 Posts

I agree. What a dink !!!!! Hopefully the next bike he buy's will have been abused like that on a test ride.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:48 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
I see you guys never seem to get enough of me.... even when I'm away for a great week of riding in the White Mountains of NH, VT and Maine for Laconia BikeWeek.

Anyways, all the parts on my bike were HD SE components installed at the dealers, except for one and the bike never sumped with that part installed. Once the new stricter policies by HD were known to be voiding warranties, I returned the bike back to factory/HD standards. Anyone that's made changes to their bike and learns about HD's stricter application of their warranty policies would be wise to return their bike to a compliant status if they want to keep their warranty intact.

Sounds like this new sumping incident is going to end up with claim. The sumping has nothing to do with the cam (other than running through the rpms faster). If he was wise and had any intention of making a warranty claim, he would return the bike to a compliant status and keep it compliant through the warranty expiration. Some may oppose that thinking but if the upgrades were made thinking they were covered because of HD's past "lenient" warranty practices, then I personally have no issue with returning a bike back to a compliant status as soon as you learn about the stricter enforcement of HD's warranty policies.

Not everyone follows these forums and you can bet the vast majority of bike owners have no clue about Harley's far more strict enforcement of their warranty policies than in the past. Anyone I spoke with over the past week at Bikeweek had no clue that HD was voiding warranties for basic upgrades that in the past would have never voided a warranty.

As an aside, I met 2 bikers that also had their M8s sump. (Both CVOs)

Have at it boys....
I Have heard mention of the warranty changes but am not sure what the new policy is/ I was told by the Dealership if I added any of their staged upgrades, 1-4 it would be covered underwarranty as well as the ESP ( I have the 7 year one), I want to get the stage 2 done but do not want to void the warranty at all, I would be using the torque cam, as I don't ride this bike over 3500 rpm at all. I have a 124 motor in my street glide I can **** and get if I want that type of ride. just looking for a little more torque down low for these steep mountains here the west two up and passing.

Quick, are you still happy you went stage 2 or would you rather have left it alone now that it has sumped. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:52 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by hog95023
I Have heard mention of the warranty changes but am not sure what the new policy is/ I was told by the Dealership if I added any of their staged upgrades, 1-4 it would be covered underwarranty as well as the ESP ( I have the 7 year one), I want to get the stage 2 done but do not want to void the warranty at all, I would be using the torque cam, as I don't ride this bike over 3500 rpm at all. I have a 124 motor in my street glide I can **** and get if I want that type of ride. just looking for a little more torque down low for these steep mountains here the west two up and passing.

Quick, are you still happy you went stage 2 or would you rather have left it alone now that it has sumped. Thanks in advance.

Yes sir, I love everything about this cam. I do not believe the cam played any part what so ever in my sumping. If bone stock 18/19 cvo's were not sumping then I may think differently. I'm the type that when I get something in my head, I'm gonna do it, I'm pretty impatient and live in the now so I couldn't wait to get the cam in there!

Old 07-16-2019, 04:56 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,528 Likes on 4,425 Posts

Originally Posted by hog95023
so just a thought, since everything I recall reading and hearing about is the biggest benefit of the SE 447 TQ Cam is it holds on longer above 3500 as well as delivering more HP up there..I just went with a simple dyno tuned SE Stage 1 and it moved the torque lower and increased it enough to make a noticeable improvement and difference in overall drivability over the SE Stage 1 ECM canned map, throttle response, etc..might consider saving some $$ and not cracking open any internals if all you want is like you say

Old 08-16-2019, 07:20 PM
Peter Goodes
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sumping! It appears to only happen to tourers!
HD have a very obvious problem that they are reluctant to solve( or can’t).
a recall is the ONLY remedy.
My M8 RG is an early build and it has sumped . New oil pump and plate but it still sumped.
.a class action against Harley may be the only action.

The following users liked this post:
rffhunter (08-24-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 06:56 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Quik

Sorry to read of your sumping issue. I hope it has been sorted out. When my King sumped July 12th that was it. Dealer bought the King back from me and I bought a new Wing from them. M8 problems solved.

Quick Reply: Well $#it...I sumped this evening