Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you trust a Thundermax to properly auto-tune a built 124?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 05:36 PM
Vision
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
There you go, another happy FM customer!
So true! I have to give credit where credit is due. There is nothing like great customer service!

Old 06-13-2019, 02:05 PM
Vision
Road Captain

Map delivered by Fuel Moto this morning! Thanks Jaime! Can’t wait to try it out!

Old 06-18-2019, 01:09 PM
Junker
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Personally I would prefer a speed density system over alfa n, but that's just me. Fuel Moto is one of the few I would trust in getting you going. Good luck and many happy miles.

The following users liked this post:
Vision (06-27-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 06:03 AM
hdrider1
Tourer
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Vision
Map delivered by Fuel Moto this morning! Thanks Jaime! Can’t wait to try it out!
Please update us on the before and after results with the Fuelmoto Thundermax Map. I have used Thundermax on a couple of "built" 107 Twin Cams in the past, and always felt like I was leaving something on the table, but never never had an exact match starting map like FM is providing to you.

Vision (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 08:28 AM
Vision
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Junker
Personally I would prefer a speed density system over alfa n, but that's just me. Fuel Moto is one of the few I would trust in getting you going. Good luck and many happy miles.

Originally Posted by hdrider1
Please update us on the before and after results with the Fuelmoto Thundermax Map. I have used Thundermax on a couple of "built" 107 Twin Cams in the past, and always felt like I was leaving something on the table, but never never had an exact match starting map like FM is providing to you.
So far the map is working out well, it did get rid of some decel pop I had right around 3000 RPM’s. The bike feel to be giving me more down low, but without Dyno results, it’s hard to tell. I really appreciate FM for sending me the Map. The bike runs great. However, with the new technology in the Delphi ECMs and the flash units like PowerVision, that work with them, I’m wondering if I’m leaving something on the table as well. On the fence of pulling the T-Max, getting and additional license for my PowerVision and having a reputable Tuner do his thing. Thoughts from you guys would be appreciated!

Old 06-27-2019, 08:52 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

Originally Posted by Vision
So far the map is working out well, it did get rid of some decel pop I had right around 3000 RPM’s. The bike feel to be giving me more down low, but without Dyno results, it’s hard to tell. I really appreciate FM for sending me the Map. The bike runs great. However, with the new technology in the Delphi ECMs and the flash units like PowerVision, that work with them, I’m wondering if I’m leaving something on the table as well. On the fence of pulling the T-Max, getting and additional license for my PowerVision and having a reputable Tuner do his thing. Thoughts from you guys would be appreciated!

IMO if you go from a Tmax to a Power Vision you just threw away all the benefits you had, you're going backwards.

Vision (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 09:02 AM
Junker
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
IMO if you go from a Tmax to a Power Vision you just threw away all the benefits you had, you're going backwards.

what benefits does an alfa n system have over a speed density system? why would it be going backwards?

Old 06-27-2019, 09:28 AM
Vision
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
I agree with you in terms of some of the great features of Thundermax. Some of the features I would lose that I know of:

Doesn’t require costly Dyno tune. It dynamically tunes as you go.

The ease of making slight adjustment (if you know what you’re doing)

Default enabling of Oil Cooling fan vs requiring dealership flash

Nothing written to stock ECM in case I need to swap ECMs for warranty purposes

Blinking Check Engine Light when engine temp exceeds a set warning point.

Things I would gain with stock ECM and flash:

Knock sensor

Possible better performance due to actual Dyno tune including more accurate timing settings leaving nothing on the table performance wise.

Better starts for Big Bore engines in cold weather due to some quirkiness with TMAX Auto Compression release settings

Above is just my understanding. Please add to benefits or disadvantages of both as you see it.

Last edited by Vision; 06-27-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:05 AM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 229 Likes on 143 Posts

If you want a dyno tune just take it down to Zippers, there in Elkridge, MD, there the experts on Tmax. I guess my opinion on dyno tunes is if it's running well, ie smooth & no hiccups, are you really going to feel that extra couple of HP? The dilemma then is to find a tuner that is good enough to actually find that extra power & still have a smooth running bike, those shops are few & far between.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:22 PM
hdrider1
Tourer
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts

Having had the Thundermax on 2 built 107s and now a 124 with PV tuned by Fuelmoto, I would never consider going back to a Thundermax. Of course this assumes you have a good tuner available. I trailered my 2019 Road King 600mi to FM in Wisconsin to have the 124 kit installed and dyno tuned and it was worth every penny. If you have a good tuner available or within trailer distance, it's a no brainer, go with PV. If no good tuner is available then settle for Tmax.

Quick Reply: Would you trust a Thundermax to properly auto-tune a built 124?