Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   primary vent poll (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1288336-primary-vent-poll.html)

blacktop37 06-14-2019 08:38 PM

primary vent poll

Im going to do it when all is well. Not having any problems now.

dawg 06-14-2019 09:19 PM

I’m going to see where the fluids are at when I do the 1k service. If there’s any hint of it, I’m venting it as I’ve got a 2 week trip from VT to KS and back at the end of July and don’t want to have to worry about anything.

smitty901 06-14-2019 10:01 PM

30,000 miles no transfer. I darn sure would if it was. I have ask a service manager I know and trust about doing it as preventive. He is still does not have an answer . I am not denying it happens. But I also know many that have had no issues. It goes back to the old if it aint broke don't fix it, in my mind. Just came back from a 3,000 mile ride. Some high speed riding and some 97 degree heat. I checked it about half way by opening primary and looking . Right where it should have been. Then checked it again when we got home all good.

Silentgreyfellow 06-14-2019 10:48 PM

I vented mine. Oil level didn't seem to move much, but I figured if the new bikes come with the vent mine might as well have one too for peace of mind.Then when I started on the vent install. I removed the derby cover and oil started to ooze out. It was way over full. I installed the vent. Then filled the primary and changed the trans oil. Gonna ride it for awhile and see if the levels change.

twosailin 06-16-2019 02:23 PM

Mine was transferring some. I kept track of the level, changed it at 10,000 as it was getting close to the add. Kept track of levels for another 5,000 miles. Talked to local dealer on a Saturday was told to bring it in on Monday. Was told they would have to call HD and see what they said. Got a call Monday afternoon and was told HD was sending the kit and they should have it Tuesday. I picked up the bike Wednesday morning, but have only put 200 miles on with the goofy weather we have been having. Hope this takes care of the problem.
It doesn't appear that one has to jump through all the hoops anymore. Maybe it was because I kept a record of the levels I don't know. But, it was too easy!..........John

Red 06-16-2019 03:13 PM

How about choice #5?

Had it done almost 4,000 miles ago. Zero transfer since. Before the vent it would suck the stick dry in a tank of fuel!

blacktop37 06-16-2019 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Red (Post 18334017)
How about choice #5?

Had it done almost 4,000 miles ago. Zero transfer since. Before the vent it would suck the stick dry in a tank of fuel!

Sorry!! Yes that would have been a lot more inclusive, I cant figure out how to change it now.Im sure it would be the winner.

dawg 06-17-2019 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by dawg (Post 18330649)
I’m going to see where the fluids are at when I do the 1k service. If there’s any hint of it, I’m venting it as I’ve got a 2 week trip from VT to KS and back at the end of July and don’t want to have to worry about anything.

Well, checked the tranny fluid tonight at 550 miles. Nowhere to be found on the dipstick. Rode it over to dealer and asked them to check it. I’m scheduled for the vent kit tomorrow morning.

azgrumbles 06-17-2019 09:04 PM

How about I’ll do it if the dealership will do it. I have the transfer problem but all they tell me is ride it. I’m sick of the games. I asked about the vent and they tell me there’s a “process” to go through to get it done. But then they act like there’s no issue. Frustrating!

dawg 06-17-2019 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by azgrumbles (Post 18337290)
How about I’ll do it if the dealership will do it. I have the transfer problem but all they tell me is ride it. I’m sick of the games. I asked about the vent and they tell me there’s a “process” to go through to get it done. But then they act like there’s no issue. Frustrating!

The service advisor told me they used to make you go through a process, now they’re just checking them and fixing them