Sponsored by:

M8 Engine Shutting Off During Idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 12:50 PM
MetalJoe
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default M8 Engine Shutting Off During Idle

Started experiencing an issue this weekend with my 2018 Road King Special. This is a 107, totally stock, with just under 3k miles. Took it in to the dealer to have the clutch recall done and have the fan assisted oil cooler kit installed. Took it about 50 miles home and the bike died unexpectedly while at idle in traffic and would not restart. Pushed it into the shade and waited about 20 minutes, restarted succesfully and luckily made it home.

The next day I let the bike idle in the driveway for half an hour, took it down the street, then sat on it in neutral to try to recreate the issue. Shut off again and would not restart. I waited a few minutes, then it restarted and I started filming (link below).

Has anyone encountered anything like this? I have no idea whats going on. She’s in service now but haven’t heard from them yet. My only guess is that whatever flash they had to do to the ECU to activate the fan caused the bike’s brain to get confused.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:32 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

When you say it wouldn't start, do you mean the starter turned the engine over but the engine wouldn't fire? Or that the starter would not turn?

Old 06-18-2019, 01:45 PM
MetalJoe
1st Gear

Originally Posted by KrustyKush
When you say it wouldn't start, do you mean the starter turned the engine over but the engine wouldn't fire? Or that the starter would not turn?
The starter turned the engine over, but no firing. Normally until now the bike would fire after 3-4 chugs. During the issue, it would chug indefinitely or, when I could get it to start after waiting a few minutes, it would chug more than normal. I apologize if my post was vague in that or any other respect, I’m a layman without much technical knowledge.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:48 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,122 Likes on 3,504 Posts

What's blinking on the dash? Do you have a passive anti-theft system? If that's the theft light, this could be the issue. They will run for awhile if the fob isn't in your pocket, or not communicating with the system.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:18 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,721 Likes on 6,885 Posts

That is a long time to idle. Is there an auto shut off if they get too hot?

Old 06-18-2019, 03:28 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,780 Posts

What's that flashing yellow light? I would not be testing it like that. Only the head has coolant in it. It's not a full-fledged radiator vehicle that can do that abuse. However, there is something wrong with that and the dealer will fix it. Hopefully, it set a code. The video should help if it has not set a code.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:10 PM
MetalJoe
1st Gear

In response to some of the questions:

- I believe the light flashing in the bottom left is an ABS indicator. It didn’t seem out of the ordinary to me but I’ll have a look at my manual later and read on that.
- The bike does have passive anti-theft. In the past when I’ve tried to start it with a dead key fob or no key, the ignition switch won’t do anything when pressed, so I didn’t think that could be the cause but who knows if it is something internal to the bike.
- I am not sure about automatic engine shutoff but I do think this model has the engine-idle-temperature-managaement system which I think shuts off one cylinder during idle to prevent overheating? Assumed it was on by default but I’ve never actually observed it coming on.

I did the idle test and video as backup just in case the dealer came back and said “we couldn’t replicate the problem”, as they often do. As an update, the dealer called me this afternoon and said they were able to replicate the problem only after a 10 minute test ride. They said they ran some tests and checks but could not ascertain the cause of the problem. He told me they have a line out to a corporate master tech for input.

Anyway, I appreciate the replies and I’ll post updates as I get them. Didn’t know if this was something anyone else has had happen so hopefully the eventual outcome could be helpful to others.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:22 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,122 Likes on 3,504 Posts

Originally Posted by MetalJoe
In response to some of the questions:

- I believe the light flashing in the bottom left is an ABS indicator. It didn’t seem out of the ordinary to me but I’ll have a look at my manual later and read on that.
- The bike does have passive anti-theft. In the past when I’ve tried to start it with a dead key fob or no key, the ignition switch won’t do anything when pressed, so I didn’t think that could be the cause but who knows if it is something internal to the bike.
- I am not sure about automatic engine shutoff but I do think this model has the engine-idle-temperature-managaement system which I think shuts off one cylinder during idle to prevent overheating? Assumed it was on by default but I’ve never actually observed it coming on.

I did the idle test and video as backup just in case the dealer came back and said “we couldn’t replicate the problem”, as they often do. As an update, the dealer called me this afternoon and said they were able to replicate the problem only after a 10 minute test ride. They said they ran some tests and checks but could not ascertain the cause of the problem. He told me they have a line out to a corporate master tech for input.

Anyway, I appreciate the replies and I’ll post updates as I get them. Didn’t know if this was something anyone else has had happen so hopefully the eventual outcome could be helpful to others.
I thought the light looked red. My bad. If it's ABS and yellow, no worries. That is normal until the system senses 5mph. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:36 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

wonky fuel pump? hell I dunno' this is weird

Old 06-18-2019, 09:42 PM
Dutchy3051
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

Some of the Road Kings, unsure of the Specials, had wiring harness issues and had to have complete harness changed under warranty. Dutchy

Quick Reply: M8 Engine Shutting Off During Idle