Sponsored by:

Trade M8 for TC??

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 06:28 AM
SluggoMagoo
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Trade M8 for TC??

Stopped by the service department where they're fitting my 2017 shark with a primary vent. Previously I put 600 miles on it and 7oz of transmission fluid transferred to the primary. So the bike is ready and I'll be picking it up this morning. Now don't get me wrong, the 600 miles were all good. Bike ran like a raped ape and nice and smooth through the mountains. The transfer did cause some clunkiieness. I kinda lost confidence in it after this transfer issue occurred. I'll need to put at least 2000 miles on it before I'll know if its fixed. While I was there I walked through the showroom. They have a Black 2016 Road Glide with a 103. It's a Twin Cam and the OD says under 4k. Now I'm thinking about trading. What would you do?

Old 06-22-2019, 06:36 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,535 Likes on 4,429 Posts

Originally Posted by SluggoMagoo
Stopped by the service department where they're fitting my 2017 shark with a primary vent. Previously I put 600 miles on it and 7oz of transmission fluid transferred to the primary. So the bike is ready and I'll be picking it up this morning. Now don't get me wrong, the 600 miles were all good. Bike ran like a raped ape and nice and smooth through the mountains. The transfer did cause some clunkiieness. I kinda lost confidence in it after this transfer issue occurred. I'll need to put at least 2000 miles on it before I'll know if its fixed. While I was there I walked through the showroom. They have a Black 2016 Road Glide with a 103. It's a Twin Cam and the OD says under 4k. Now I'm thinking about trading. What would you do?
I'd go with your 1st plan..if your trans fluid issue is resolved you have the superior bike..if it isn't you can throw in the towel and the playbook is wide open

Old 06-22-2019, 06:41 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

I'd trade that thing so fast it would make your head spin.

The following users liked this post:
TDSnowSPR (06-24-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 06:54 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Better hold on to what you have, as MJ said, if it still transfer then trade, plenty of low mile TC's out there.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:56 AM
3dognate
Tourer
Received 332 Likes on 184 Posts

If your issue is fixed, no F'n way I'd go back to a twin cam motor. I have an early '17 107 motor and it's had zero fluid issues. They are more rare than it would appear looking at this forum. It's stinky that you had an issue but your case is still the exception and not the rule.

The following users liked this post:
TDSnowSPR (06-24-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 08:56 AM
Mcathcart
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't trade a Honder for a TC. The TC were throw-away POS. (I'm sure this is going to Singe someones Feelings but...)

Read http://www.hdopenroad.com/guest-arti...e-sweet-years/

Naturally it's Old and before the M8's. I said I'd Never own a TC and won't. I still have 2 Evo's. They'll out last me. I also know reading here that the M8 has some problems but I bought one anyway!

Old 06-22-2019, 09:08 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Have nothing against the TCs, hell I had 7 of them, but I'd never take a 10K hit (average) on trade just because of a little oil transfer... crazy talk. Guess it would be different if the bike actually failed him multiple times.
If a little oil transfer bothers him, just imagine all the old typical TC complaints this guy would find out about in another 600 miles... dude would literally cry.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:15 AM
SluggoMagoo
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 3dognate
If your issue is fixed, no F'n way I'd go back to a twin cam motor. I have an early '17 107 motor and it's had zero fluid issues. They are more rare than it would appear looking at this forum. It's stinky that you had an issue but your case is still the exception and not the rule.
Would you buy a bike if it had this problem? 600 miles change the drive fluids.. I'm not to sure about this vending the primary issue but time will tell. I use to be a machinist and had to cut parts to with in .001 of an inch, outside and inside. This issue sounds like a tolerance issue to me. If true then it's a more expensive fix.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:19 AM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,367 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Originally Posted by SluggoMagoo
Would you buy a bike if it had this problem? 600 miles change the drive fluids.. I'm not to sure about this vending the primary issue but time will tell. I use to be a machinist and had to cut parts to with in .001 of an inch, outside and inside. This issue sounds like a tolerance issue to me. If true then it's a more expensive fix.
I did. Over 2500 miles since the vent install and no sign of transfer. After over 4k miles on my 19 SGS, I'd find it really hard to go back to a TC.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:28 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Interesting how life is when you get old. When the TC's first came out, it was overheating and oil cooking. Then the inner primary bearing, cam tensioners, regulators,. Then the Twin Cool with the coolant problem. Now the M8. Forums will be the downfall of humanity.

If Harley does not fix it....Mark the primary at the proper oil level around on the back just past the derby cover. Drill and tap it thru 1/8-27NPT and screw a grease fitting plug in it (to disguise it). When the transmission goes to add, top it off and drain the primary with the bike lefe by removing the plug and then screw it back in. If Harley had a real engineer rather then a bunch of idiots, they would have a sight glass in that area where the old tensioner adjuster is. You can actually buy them but you need a precision hole done on a mill or at minimum, remove the cover and step drilll carefully.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16mm-48mm-m...nPKHAppfhT5E9Q

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 06-22-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Trade M8 for TC??