Sponsored by:

Gotta use a different dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 10:02 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,075 Likes on 3,318 Posts
Default Gotta use a different dealer

My 2017 Road King has 8K on it. Had the 1K service done at the dealer I purchased it from. They banged me hard for it too but I figured, there would be no bullsh* for warranty work I might need down the road.
I changed the oil myself ( purchased oil, filter and O rings from that dealer) and will do so from now on with all fluids.
I went to get the clutch recall done and while they had it asked them to check three potential problems. The bike is still under factory warranty.
1- Front brake pulse.. Maybe warped rotors?
2- Occasionally wont start in gear with clutch in ( Clutch switch, I know its an issue with some bikes)
3- Noise in front wheel when leaned left or right, but no noise going straight. Possible front wheel bearing?

When I picked it up the recall was completed and the service writer went on to tell me , the rotors are warped but its within spec, they "tightened and adjusted" the front end so no noise , and they "scanned" for codes to see about the no start in gear.
The kicker? He wanted to charge me an hours labor to diagnose the no start in gear, $115.00. LOL
He erased the charge but jeez.. The front end still has the grumbling noise when leaned over ( I know , could be tire cupping but time will tell), and the brakes still grab and go when coming to a slow stop. My background is auto repair and engine builder for 30 years so I have a fair amount of knowledge here, so it really pisses me off when people are trying to BS their way out of doing work. The dealer is 5 minutes from my house so I hate to switch but I think I need to. Friggin annoying .

Last edited by stixvrad; 06-25-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:05 AM
RichM752
Road Master
Received 371 Likes on 215 Posts

Welcome to the club. The nearest deal from me is 65 miles, and I wouldn't buy a quart of oil from the place.

The following users liked this post:
mitchxout (06-27-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 10:12 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,075 Likes on 3,318 Posts

Originally Posted by RichM752
Welcome to the club. The nearest deal from me is 65 miles, and I wouldn't buy a quart of oil from the place.
Friggin annoying man. AND, when I dropped the bike off I made mention I might be interested in the Legends shocks and front end cartridges they have in stock.
Forget it now. If I get them, I'll do it online and put them in myself. Idiots.. This is the same dealer that told me, they couldn't flash my bike to the higher 950 rpm idle because the stock air filter doesnt flow enough air for it.
Only after you go stage one with the better flowing filter does it work,LOL. I asked them, "then how does the stock filter flow enough when its up around 4 grand going through the gears?"
My guess is he meant to say that the higher idle is DONE when you get them to install stage one.

mitchxout (06-27-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 11:41 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
My 2017 Road King has 8K on it.
1- Front brake pulse.. Maybe warped rotors?
2- Occasionally wont start in gear with clutch in ( Clutch switch, I know its an issue with some bikes)
3- Noise in front wheel when leaned left or right, but no noise going straight. Possible front wheel bearing?
All known problems. I had a lot of pulsing and vibration from my brakes, too. I have posted recently on this situation and how it was resolved. At around 12k miles I took the bike to the dealer about the pulsing, or vibration as I called it. They said my ABS module was throwing codes, and replaced it. But this didn't resolve the vibration. Then, I discovered that when I use BOTH front and rear brakes together, as the manual instructs, then there is no vibration. I had been using 99% front brake only, a bad habit left over from sport bike days. The only explanation I can conceive for this is, something about the electronic linking in the HD system. It could be the linking software causes the vibration when only the front brake is used. Just a guess. But, for sure, using both front and rear brakes levers together erases the vibration on my bike, and maybe yours, too.

Won't start in gear. Well known problem located in the clutch switch pack on the left handlebar. Dealer should replace this with an updated unit. Easy fix.

Noise from tires. Your bike has enough miles on it that your tires are worn enough that this noise occurs. Totally normal, and characteristic of all motorcycles I've ever heard of. Easy fix: new tires. But nobody throws away 10k of miles on a set of tires, so we live with the grainy noise until then.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:40 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,470 Likes on 1,060 Posts

I've had nothing but customer NO service from my purchasing dealer. Been lied to about things...promised things.....phone calls never returned for issues I had (hard pulling of the bike when no hands on bars).......I refuse to spend another dime with them. Last year had a brass fitting strip out thread on the speaker box/windshield mounting and they wanted to charge me either 125 ro retap, or 250 rto replace the whole speaker box assembly.

Thankfully, another dealer moved to within 10 minutes from my house and so far they've been incredible to work with. The day I had the speaker box issue, I picked it up, rode straight to the new dealer and told them what was going on. They asked if I bought from them......No...then said...oh those brass fittings are known to do that.....we'll fix it free of charge for you.

Needless to say, I buy everything from the new dealer and if and when I buy another bike, it'll be from them. I hate any company that doesn't go out of their way to make a customer happy! SO yeah....you need to take your hard earned money elsewhere.

mitchxout (06-27-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 12:53 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,571 Likes on 9,799 Posts

I quit dealing with my dealer as soon as my warranty was up...

RichM752 (06-27-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 07:37 PM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Just out of curiosity - which dealer have you been using? I’ve given up on mine as I got a lot of those same answers lol, and now either do it myself or use an Indy for stuff that’s over my head.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:14 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
This is the same dealer that told me, they couldn't flash my bike to the higher 950 rpm idle because the stock air filter doesnt flow enough air for it.
Only after you go stage one with the better flowing filter does it work,LOL. I asked them, "then how does the stock filter flow enough when its up around 4 grand going through the gears?"
My guess is he meant to say that the higher idle is DONE when you get them to install stage one.
My bike is all stock and my selling dealer allegedly did the idle update about a year ago. Since the idle never did rise to 950, about 6 months later I asked my selling dealer to do the idle update again. Even though they said they did it again and I could see fingerprints on the connector behind the side cover for their computer connection, my bike still idles at about 850.
Is it true that a Stage 1 upgrade has to be on the bike for the idle update to work?

Old 06-25-2019, 08:22 PM
1957buick
Club Member
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

I also live in northern n.j. and left my dealer a few years ago and went to GARDEN STATE HARLEY , No bullshit , just real honest people willing to fix the issues . They also work on any year harley ! My other dealer said my 08 was to old and they will not work on it !!! If you go to garden state ask for barry , he is the service guy

Old 06-25-2019, 08:44 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,656 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Take your own advice and use a different dealer. Surely not all of Jersey is that bad???

mitchxout (06-27-2019)

Quick Reply: Gotta use a different dealer