Sponsored by:

17 vs 18 vs 19 Street Glides?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 07:25 AM
RGS88
Road Warrior
Received 1,792 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by Oz Dan
Going 2nd hand, I reckon any year M8, be it a 17, 18, or 19, is a good bet given you look over it, ride it, fall in love with it.......service history is something you want to see. Riding the bike, feeling how it shifts, listening to it, having a good close look over it.... you’ll work it out. Sounds like you’ve found one you like which is great....

Good luck and enjoy the hell out of it!
If service history isn't something the dealer has on hand, is there a way to find service history via dealer? I can call them when they open this morning, but if they say they don't have records I would like to know if there's a database that might log service, like some car manufactures offer (or Carfax, etc).

Old 06-29-2019, 08:08 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,519 Likes on 4,422 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan...
If service history isn't something the dealer has on hand, is there a way to find service history via dealer? I can call them when they open this morning, but if they say they don't have records I would like to know if there's a database that might log service, like some car manufactures offer (or Carfax, etc).
honestly, if they don't have records, and you give it a thorough look over and test ride and it passes all that with flying colors, with 2000 miles on it and them extending the warranty and it fits your budget, you could probably safely pull the trigger and feel good about it and start riding!!!

The following users liked this post:
RGS88 (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 09:16 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

I would highly recommend running it through the gears pretty hard from a stop, by hard I mean touch the red line through several gears, I would do this a couple of times and see how it likes it. I'm no expert but knowing what I know now, that would be the very first thing I would do if I were buying a used M8. Good luck with your decision!

Old 06-29-2019, 09:19 AM
RGS88
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Quik
I would highly recommend running it through the gears pretty hard from a stop, by hard I mean touch the red line through several gears, I would do this a couple of times and see how it likes it. I'm no expert but knowing what I know now, that would be the very first thing I would do if I were buying a used M8. Good luck with your decision!
Would I be checking for something very specific to the M8, or just generally seeing how the bike reacts to hard riding?

Old 06-29-2019, 09:20 AM
RGS88
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mjwebb
honestly, if they don't have records, and you give it a thorough look over and test ride and it passes all that with flying colors, with 2000 miles on it and them extending the warranty and it fits your budget, you could probably safely pull the trigger and feel good about it and start riding!!!
I was kind of going in with the assumption that they have no records, and planning on looking over it very carefully, paying extra attention for odd noises/smells, etc, and if it runs well pulling the trigger.

Not that it stands alone, but the dealer's rating on Google reviews is 4.7 stars out of 221 reviews which is pretty darn good in my opinion.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:32 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,519 Likes on 4,422 Posts

you could probably tell by looking at the engine oil of the 1K service was performed..either way to be sure you could do a three hole fluid change for cheap yourself just to be sure...but pretty likely the 1 K was performed

RGS88 (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 10:25 AM
RGS88
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mjwebb
you could probably tell by looking at the engine oil of the 1K service was performed..either way to be sure you could do a three hole fluid change for cheap yourself just to be sure...but pretty likely the 1 K was performed
Thanks for the advice!
I do usually swap fluids any time I purchase a vehicle, and my plan was for any M8 bike I bought was to swap the fluids and do the breather tube right away for peace of mind.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:08 PM
Mofo67
Stellar HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 526 Posts

Update??? Did you buy the ‘17?

Old 06-29-2019, 08:22 PM
Oz Dan
Tourer
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan...
Would I be checking for something very specific to the M8, or just generally seeing how the bike reacts to hard riding?
He mentions this to test if the engine is prone to sumping. Look, my bike was dyno tuned twice - the 2nd time it was taken to redline over 40 or so times over a good few hours.....it didn’t and has never sumped.

These bikes are tractors. They are in my eyes, and always have and always will be, low reving torque engines. Test ride it as you normally ride is my advice and good luck.....let us know how you go....

Last edited by Oz Dan; 06-29-2019 at 08:23 PM.
johnnynitro (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 09:44 PM
RGS88
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mofo67
Update??? Did you buy the ‘17?
I work 3rd shift, was supposed to hold over until 11am today, ended up catching a late call and not getting out until almost 1pm, not enough time to make it to dealer before they closed

I'm borrowing a friend's truck Sunday night, and will be driving out there after my shift ends at 7am on Monday!

Originally Posted by Oz Dan
He mentions this to test if the engine is prone to sumping. Look, my bike was dyno tuned twice - the 2nd time it was taken to redline over 40 or so times over a good few hours.....it didn’t and has never sumped.

These bikes are tractors. They are in my eyes, and always have and always will be, low reving torque engines. Test ride it as you normally ride is my advice and good luck.....let us know how you go....
I will probably run it a little high at least once, given that's how I will likely ride (mostly just cruising/putting around with the occasional rip of the throttle).

Quick Reply: 17 vs 18 vs 19 Street Glides?