Sponsored by:

Stage 1, Decat and Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 10:25 AM
RCUltra
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Stage 1, Decat and Warranty

Guys...I traded my Ultra Limited on a Tri Glide Ultra and the heat on the right side is much worse on the trike. I would like to to do a Stage 1 inside of 60 days so those parts can be rolled into the warranty. I would also like to decat the header AND retain the warranty. The service guy at the HD shop said 1) decatting the header would for sure void the warranty and 2) the HD tuner would not be capable of properly tuning the bike without the cat. I doubt #2.

So here's the question. If I decat the header by drilling it out as not to leave any external evidence and take the bike in for a Stage 1, what can I expect?

Is there a way they can tell that it has been decatted, other than looking inside the pipe?

Will decatting alone change the tune enough to require a visit to the tuner?

A really sharp tuning guy might be able to tell, but I don't think we need to worry about that.

Thanks

Last edited by RCUltra; 07-11-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:33 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

just get the cool fan and leave it,other than less heat,there is nothing to gain by removing it, and potentially a lot to lose. just my $.02

Old 07-11-2019, 10:37 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,474 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by RCUltra
Guys...I traded my Ultra Limited on a Tri Glide Ultra and the heat on the right side is much worse on the trike. I would like to to do a Stage 1 inside of 60 days so those parts can be rolled into the warranty. I would also like to decat the header AND retain the warranty. The service guy at the HD shop said 1) decatting the header would for sure void the warranty and 2) the HD tuner would not be capable of properly tuning the bike without the cat. I doubt #2.

So here's the question. If I decat the header by drilling it out as not to leave any external evidence and take the bike in for a Stage 1, what can I expect?

Is there a way they can tell that it has been decatted, other than looking inside the pipe?

Will decatting alone change the tune enough to require a visit to the tuner?

A really sharp tuning guy might be able to tell, but I don't think we need to worry about that.

Thanks
So its proabaly true they wont be able to "properly" tune the bike once its decatted. But thats because the HD tuner is very limited on what parameters can be adjusted and how far. They're working within the limits of an EPA approved tuner.

I think a good HD tech or anyone familiar with M8 engine could tell when one has been decatted. Little bit different sound at the very least.

SO yes. Cool flow fan for the heat and retain your warranty if you're wanting too. I've also heard wrapping headers have decreased the heat noticeably for some.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:38 AM
RCUltra
Cruiser

Does the fan make that much difference? The heat is brutal. I would think that the heat from the cat would cause more issues than is resolves.

Lets say I have the dealer do a Stage 1 and leave the cat. If I later decide to remove the cat, will the bike need to be re-tuned?

Old 07-11-2019, 10:44 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Does the fan make that much difference? The heat is brutal. I would think that the heat from the cat would cause more issues than is resolves.

Lets say I have the dealer do a Stage 1 and leave the cat. If I later decide to remove the cat, will the bike need to be re-tuned?
Cant say for sure as I never decatted my stock headers. I went aftermarket when I did my stage 2.

I assume you'd be using the SEST tuner. I would think you can just use the standard canned tune map for stage 1, then run a few smart tunes and it would be fine. If you're talking a true dyno tune.....I dont think theres enough benefit to justify the 500 bucks for a stage 1. Just install the stage 1 map from the tuner files and you're good to go.

Also cant comment on the fan as I dont have one. Some here that have them say they work pretty well.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:45 AM
TracerBullet
Supporter
Received 5,193 Likes on 2,824 Posts

Probably

Old 07-11-2019, 10:48 AM
RCUltra
Cruiser

I thought about wrapping the headers then putting the chrome heat shields over the wrap. I've heard that wrapping the cat is a no-no. I modded all of my previous bikes right out of the gate and never had to use the warranty, but I thought I'd like to keep the warranty intact on this one. I must be getting old.

What's odd is that when I had a Stage 1 done on a '15 SG a few years back, the dealer offered to decat the header for $50. Something must have changed between then and now.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:52 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

I thought about wrapping the headers then putting the chrome heat shields over the wrap. I've heard that wrapping the cat is a no-no. I modded all of my previous bikes right out of the gate and never had to use the warranty, but I thought I'd like to keep the warranty intact on this one. I must be getting old.

What's odd is that when I had a Stage 1 done on a '15 SG a few years back, the dealer offered to decat the header for $50. Something must have changed between then and now.
You haven't read the 400 threads about the EPA consent decree?? lol Yes things changed starting in 2017.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:07 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

stage one is a very small change, I wouldn't sweat it in the least, the canned tune i'm sure would be just fine with or without the CAT,
and I do like my cool fan it helps for sure. everyone repeats the "its limited by the EPA" line, but so far no one has been able to tell me what they really mean buy that, I mean they do not want any unburnt fuel coming out, IMO I don't either that's wasted fuel and not efficient at all, how that means less performance I'm not really sure of.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:08 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,156 Likes on 3,518 Posts

Teedoff has explained it well. You can't have it both ways, brother. Any tinkering outside of the parameters HD allows can jeopardize your warranty. It doesn't mean it automatically will, but if you aren't willing to take the warranty risk, don't do it.

Quick Reply: Stage 1, Decat and Warranty