Sponsored by:

Sumping failure damage

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 09:45 PM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Sumping failure damage

I have been reading all of the stories I can about the M8 and the sumping issues, among others. (I have already addressed fluid transfer) I have read of "catastrophic failure" and "engine blew up" etc... but I have not been able to get a simple break down of the damage, symptoms etc... I mentioned in a previous thread that went a little sideways about a couple issues that I have had. As a refresher, 17 RGS purchased used in October with about 8,300 miles. I now have about 13,400 or so. I have made two long trips; one to DC and one to Lake George, all from Ma. Once on each trip after a run on the highway I experienced what could best be described as lifters not fully pumped up. No loss of power, no oil smell, no increase in heat. The second time I stopped for fuel and never leaned onto side stand. Shut off, fueled and parked with motor off. Oil level check was perfect; clean, no foam/bubbles etc... Issue went away each time and all well.

Now I am getting some valve train noise. Fine when started but once warmed up it makes more noise that when purchased and more noise than most other M8's I have listened to. I scoped cylinders to make sure I didn't score cylinders and everything looks good. Beginning to wonder if: loose valve seat issue, loose rocker shaft bolt issue, lifter issue, ??? If anyone that has had some not so great experiences could post some of the damage/results that would be great. If the worst thing I have to do is replace lifters (and maybe cam if I'm there) then that is not the worst thing to happen.

For the record, as mentioned, 17 RGS with stage 1 AC, Fuel Moto Outlaw slipons with stock head pipe and a Power Vision.

Neil
RDMC

Old 07-14-2019, 09:52 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

If you replace the lifters, replace those plastic lifter holders/anti-rotation devices with metal ones.

Last edited by dawg; 07-14-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:14 PM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

If I end up having to go into the cam chest lifters, anti-rotation cuffs, and most likely cam will be swapped out. If I have to do that I haven't decided if I will just go with the updated HD oil pump back plate with the seal or a complete pump/cam plate setup. I am hoping to not have to do any of this stuff, which is the reason I bought the F@*$ING thing in the first place. If I do end up with motor issues I will be so pissed!!

Neil
RDMC

Old 07-14-2019, 10:20 PM
Bass Player
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,925 Likes on 1,056 Posts

After all the horror stories I've read here I won't go through the crap, and the wonder about a newer bike. I'll stick with my older bikes and my EVO's.

Last edited by Bass Player; 07-14-2019 at 10:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bass Player:
Goose_NC (07-15-2019), HrdNox (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 05:29 AM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 868 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Player
After all the horror stories I've read here I won't go through the crap, and the wonder about a newer bike. I'll stick with my older bikes and my EVO's.
I drive a model T daily for that same reason....

The following 2 users liked this post by dajogejr:
craigffb (07-15-2019), Dynamick (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 06:37 AM
sandrooney
Road Master
Received 262 Likes on 176 Posts

I love my M8. So glad I didn't listen to the horror stories. Best Harley I have ever owned and I have had a bunch of em.

The following users liked this post:
JohnTz (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 06:43 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Based on OP’s descriptions, occasional noises cause him to worry. Otherwise, he says, bike runs fine.

All engines make noises. Some make more than others. Engine noises may get louder when the engine is hot.

But the biggest factors with engine noises are: worry, and the hearer’s ability to hear. I’m 70 y/o and after years flying in helicopters, playing in bands, going to concerts, riding motorcycles, my hearing is damaged. I’m sure anyone near my same age is also similarly afflicted with hearing damage. Hearing damage doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t hear. Rather, some audible frequencies will seem louder than others.

So, my best advice is to ignore engine noises. If the bike is running perfectly, then put some earplugs in and keep riding. If there is something wrong, pretty soon the thing will break. Don’t let unnecessary worry rob you of the joy of riding one of the world’s great motorcycles.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:09 AM
Wmitz
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

What oil are you using? Maybe try changing oil brands. Is there any more than usual metal on the drain plug?

Old 07-15-2019, 07:45 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,726 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Originally Posted by KrustyKush

So, my best advice is to ignore engine noises..
If that's your best then stop giving advice.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:46 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,480 Likes on 4,604 Posts

Originally Posted by Wmitz
What oil are you using? Maybe try changing oil brands.
I think maybe he needs to be running nitrogen in his tires.

Quick Reply: Sumping failure damage