Sponsored by:

Cost of extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 07:37 PM
kickstartfan
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 190 Posts
Default Cost of extended warranty

Does extended warranty have the same price tag nationwide? I mean the Harley version.
Not the service agreement, just the same coverage the two year warranty provides.

I remember the salesman told me it was an extra $200 if you did not add it with the original purchase.

Any reason to shop around or will every dealer give me the same price?

I do not normally buy any extended warranty but am considering making this an exception.
This has been discussed but I also remember seeing different numbers for what it cost.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:43 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,542 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by kickstartfan
Does extended warranty have the same price tag nationwide? I mean the Harley version.
Not the service agreement, just the same coverage the two year warranty provides.

I remember the salesman told me it was an extra $200 if you did not add it with the original purchase.

Any reason to shop around or will every dealer give me the same price?

I do not normally buy any extended warranty but am considering making this an exception.
This has been discussed but I also remember seeing different numbers for what it cost.
I believe the HD sponsored ESP has a rate sheet, but these are 100% negotiable and one should turn the screws down on them as much as they can. Yes it's less if you buy it within a specified timeframe. we bought ours 1 month before the factory 2 year expired and paid $5000 combined for both our Trike and Touring bike for an extra 5 years with tire and wheel...the list was $6500 which is a joke

Old 07-16-2019, 09:04 AM
kickstartfan
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 190 Posts

thanks. now I am pretty sure I do not want the extended service plan. But if you get tires for free
with unlimited miles that could change things.

I know the dealer will have the numbers I want, but I would like to know before I talk with them so I can
avoid the shock.

When I bought a $20.00 coffee maker I was offered an extended warranty for $17.00.

Looking for the options for extending just the warranty, not any service. How much for how many years.

Last edited by kickstartfan; 07-16-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:36 AM
kupitz
Cruiser

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Dealer quoted me $1200 for 2 additional years ESP when I originally started negotiations, got it down to $800 and a lower interest rate came with it, 3.49 vs 3.99

Old 07-16-2019, 09:48 AM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 266 Likes on 171 Posts

I paid $1849 for my 7 year ESP without the tire and wheel. The price of the ESP was negotiated after the bike price negotiation. I believe they only moved a few hundred dollars off their original price. This was in Oct of 2017. I had almost bought the identical bike at Biketoberfest in Daytona but was told that Florida sets the price for ESP's and there was no negotiating and that price was substantially more. Not sure if other states have that practice or not.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:38 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,451 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I believe the HD sponsored ESP has a rate sheet, but these are 100% negotiable and one should turn the screws down on them as much as they can. Yes it's less if you buy it within a specified timeframe. we bought ours 1 month before the factory 2 year expired and paid $5000 combined for both our Trike and Touring bike for an extra 5 years with tire and wheel...the list was $6500 which is a joke
Hey MJ, do you have any idea how the price of an Extended Warranty Contract is even calculated? By that I mean, how does HD figure out how they are going to make a profit on them, and by how much? Sort of like an actuarial on a human life.

How does the $600(approx) for a 5 yr Goldwing 2018 compare to a $2500 HD warrant for one of your 2017 bikes? The actual paying price of the two bikes is pretty close, so why the difference in what it costs for the extended warranty on each of them. There has to be some kind of formula, other than the typical reply for some that" it's Harley and they charge more".
The reason I asked you is that you seem to have a talent for digging up the REAL INFORMATION, instead of a bunch of Internet hogwash( pardon the pun).

Old 07-17-2019, 07:47 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by kickstartfan
thanks. now I am pretty sure I do not want the extended service plan. But if you get tires for free
with unlimited miles that could change things.

I know the dealer will have the numbers I want, but I would like to know before I talk with them so I can
avoid the shock.

When I bought a $20.00 coffee maker I was offered an extended warranty for $17.00.

Looking for the options for extending just the warranty, not any service. How much for how many years.
The esp supposedly covers everything the 2 year Harley warranty covers and has unlimited mileage. I ride a fair amount of miles in "the dirty lane" so I pick up a lot of nails, screws and tire slices. the tire and wheel coverage works for me. I picked up one screw in the rear tire before the 1 k service after owning the bike for less then a week. good luck with your choice. ask the dealer to let you read the contract to see if it works for you or not.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:54 AM
KYRGultra
Road Master
Received 489 Likes on 306 Posts

When I bought a new 2013 RG Custom I asked about the HD ESP at both of the two Harley dealers here in Louisville. Was looking for the 5 extra year coverage without the wheel & tire coverage. Don't remember the exact prices I got but I remember one dealer was exactly $250 higher than the other dealer for the same thing. Didn't buy the ESP.

Also checked at a local credit union that sold bike ESP plans. Their 5 year plan with $50 deductible like the HD plan did not cover everything the HD plan covered. But their plan covered all the major components and then some and their plan only cost about 1/3 of what the HD was priced at. I would have bought the credit union plan except their plan had similar language as the HD plan in that if I put on a Thundermax tuner (which I did, also cams) certain components would not be covered by their plan as they were not OEM.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:07 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,451 Likes on 932 Posts

[QUOTE=hog95023;18405400]The esp supposedly covers everything the 2 year Harley warranty covers and has unlimited mileage.

What ESP is that?

Old 07-17-2019, 09:30 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,542 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
Hey MJ, do you have any idea how the price of an Extended Warranty Contract is even calculated? By that I mean, how does HD figure out how they are going to make a profit on them, and by how much? Sort of like an actuarial on a human life.

How does the $600(approx) for a 5 yr Goldwing 2018 compare to a $2500 HD warrant for one of your 2017 bikes? The actual paying price of the two bikes is pretty close, so why the difference in what it costs for the extended warranty on each of them. There has to be some kind of formula, other than the typical reply for some that" it's Harley and they charge more".
The reason I asked you is that you seem to have a talent for digging up the REAL INFORMATION, instead of a bunch of Internet hogwash( pardon the pun).
If i had to guess the differences are Hondas don’t sump, transfer fluid, have clutch switch failures, replace bad wheel bearings every tire change, etc etc😜😎 seriously tho i’m sure their ‘formula’ has to do with expected rate of failures and average cost of ownership then factor in a % of profit margin. Honda is more Toyota compared to Harleys more Volkswagen imo anyway

Last edited by mjwebb; 07-17-2019 at 09:44 AM.