Sponsored by:

My Pinging Adventure

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 06:59 PM
Issysportster
Cruiser
Received 118 Likes on 60 Posts
Default My Pinging Adventure

I was experiencing a light detonation during medium-ish RPM's and throttle angles. I had been reading about others on the forum having a similar experience.

I did the stage 1, all Screamin' Eagle parts when the bike had about 300 miles on it. I now have about 1700 miles on the clock. I had heard a slight detonation sound early on, and the SEPST did not change it.

One time shortly after the upgrade, I was doing a hard 4th gear pull, and at about 95-ish the check engine light came on (this was during a smart tune run). Came home, found P0325 (front knock sensor) code. Did not think much of it, cleared the code, and continued. Still heard a slight pinging every once in a while, but based on what I had read, was not really too worried.

Yesterday, rode the bike under similar loads, and the check engine light comes on again. This time I decided to dig in a bit further. Check the wiring diagram and was ready to check harnesses, sensors, and ECU. First check the tightness of the sensor, all good. Traced the wire under the tank, and low and behold, it was not even connected. While looking under there, I also discovered that the front bank head temp sensor was not connected either. Connected both, pinging gone and all good.

Couple of takeaway points. First, the ECU on these bikes is really quite dumb. The ECU should have recognized that neither sensor were connected and set a check engine light. Second, if you are experiencing pinging, check out the connector! It may be loosely attached, or not attached at all. The ECU apparently would only set a check engine light under a very specific condition that was not easily repeatable (90+ MPH in 4th gear).

Anywho, hope this helps someone. (yellow weather seal connector is the CHT, and the plain black is the knock sensor)

The following 2 users liked this post by Issysportster:
gonemad (05-13-2023), jim1450 (05-14-2023)
Old 10-28-2019, 07:16 PM
anthony_b.
Road Captain
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Issysportster
I was experiencing a light detonation during medium-ish RPM's and throttle angles. I had been reading about others on the forum having a similar experience.

I did the stage 1, all Screamin' Eagle parts when the bike had about 300 miles on it. I now have about 1700 miles on the clock. I had heard a slight detonation sound early on, and the SEPST did not change it.

One time shortly after the upgrade, I was doing a hard 4th gear pull, and at about 95-ish the check engine light came on (this was during a smart tune run). Came home, found P0325 (front knock sensor) code. Did not think much of it, cleared the code, and continued. Still heard a slight pinging every once in a while, but based on what I had read, was not really too worried.

Yesterday, rode the bike under similar loads, and the check engine light comes on again. This time I decided to dig in a bit further. Check the wiring diagram and was ready to check harnesses, sensors, and ECU. First check the tightness of the sensor, all good. Traced the wire under the tank, and low and behold, it was not even connected. While looking under there, I also discovered that the front bank head temp sensor was not connected either. Connected both, pinging gone and all good.

Couple of takeaway points. First, the ECU on these bikes is really quite dumb. The ECU should have recognized that neither sensor were connected and set a check engine light. Second, if you are experiencing pinging, check out the connector! It may be loosely attached, or not attached at all. The ECU apparently would only set a check engine light under a very specific condition that was not easily repeatable (90+ MPH in 4th gear).

Anywho, hope this helps someone. (yellow weather seal connector is the CHT, and the plain black is the knock sensor)
...great find!!! It paid off to trace it out. Sometimes I wonder if these bikes aren't assembled in Mexico.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:58 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Received 213 Likes on 128 Posts

So self induced ? Ooops .. hate when that happens .. oh well .. live and learn .. glad its Happy again.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:36 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

The OP's find, fix, and resulting absence of pinging, nearly proves the point that these bikes will NOT ping if nothing is wrong.

Riders with pinging engines should dig deeper for the reason.

The following users liked this post:
FLTRI17 (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 03:09 PM
Issysportster
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sumncguy
So self induced ? Ooops .. hate when that happens .. oh well .. live and learn .. glad its Happy again.
Came from the factory like that.

NO_SPRK (07-06-2022)
Old 11-03-2019, 07:39 AM
Randol
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 76 Posts

What model bike?

Old 11-03-2019, 07:53 AM
Issysportster
Cruiser

Originally Posted by randol
what model bike?
fxbb.

Randol (11-03-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 08:56 AM
saddlebag
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by KrustyKush
The OP's find, fix, and resulting absence of pinging, nearly proves the point that these bikes will NOT ping if nothing is wrong.

Riders with pinging engines should dig deeper for the reason.
No, it proves that he connected them, took it for a ride, didn't hear any, and stopped getting codes. I ride mine just about every day and rarely hear pinging, but it does happen from time to time.
In order for a knock sensor to alert the ECU that it needs to retard the timing, it first has to detect an ill timed detonation.
I had an issue with an unfastened connector on my new bike too. Mine was throwing CAN bus communication failures when it was cold out. Mechanic found a connector that was almost snapped together and went ahead and finished the job. I've since had no more codes.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:02 PM
KingPin16
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where are these plugs located bud? I have a 2019 road glide with a butt load of spark knock... heavy throttle in all gears. Have a stage 2 torque cam, but can't use the torque tune cause it knocks like crazy. so Im using the power tune.. very little knock, but still present. This **** is killing me. I have went to two different dealerships, all of them said their was no problems. I need help. I even got the SE auto tuner on this bike, and its doing no good.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:33 PM
sbeamer
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

What year ?

Quick Reply: My Pinging Adventure