Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   Boom GTS Speedometer (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1357184-boom-gts-speedometer.html)

702 01-15-2021 04:09 PM

Boom GTS Speedometer

Does anyone here know if the Boom GTS speedometer is driven by the BCM/ECM or is it driven by the GPS system as a part of the Nav feature? If it's in the 9 million page manual I can't find it.

barneyboy 01-16-2021 08:45 AM

I've often wondered the same. If there was a longish tunnel nearby, I'd have the answer.

GlidingJoe 01-16-2021 09:17 AM

I am pretty certain that they GTS speed is that of the GPS system, not generated from the bike speedo system.
I know there are videos sharing how to check your speedo and one is to use your GPS indicated speed vs speedo

NorthWestern 01-16-2021 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by GlidingJoe (Post 19668963)
I am pretty certain that they GTS speed is that of the GPS system, not generated from the bike speedo system.
I know there are videos sharing how to check your speedo and one is to use your GPS indicated speed vs speedo

I had heard the same thing. I have not confirmed it on mine since I have had no gearing or tire changes, but one of my customers at work did a custom wheel, tire, and pulley change and said he now uses the screen for an accurate speedo on a '19 RGS ??

skratch 01-16-2021 06:33 PM

i had heard the opposite. the gts gets it's speed from the vss just like the speedometer. i've not done a direct comparison from a gps to the gts, but i can tell you that if the gts gets it's speed from the gps, then i must have the world's most accurate hd speedometer because the analog gauge and the digital speedo on the gts are dead nuts equal.

biglew55 01-17-2021 06:51 AM

The GPS uses the same VSS signal as the Speedo.

jake24lt 01-17-2021 07:42 AM

easy way to find out, would be to put a jack under the bike , start it up and run it in gear.The speedo will work, then look at the gps. If the gps registers,you know it does not a satellite for speed.

GlidingJoe 01-17-2021 07:44 AM

As others have chimed in, and I did some digging, it is the same signal being displayed in the GTS/NAV as your speedo. My original comment of it being from Satellite 🛰 was incorrect.

702 01-17-2021 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by GlidingJoe (Post 19671004)
As others have chimed in, and I did some digging, it is the same signal being displayed in the GTS/NAV as your speedo. My original comment of it being from Satellite 🛰 was incorrect.

I've been digging too, and can't find anything definitive. Can you share your sources?

mikes300 01-17-2021 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by skratch (Post 19670145)
i had heard the opposite. the gts gets it's speed from the vss just like the speedometer. i've not done a direct comparison from a gps to the gts, but i can tell you that if the gts gets it's speed from the gps, then i must have the world's most accurate hd speedometer because the analog gauge and the digital speedo on the gts are dead nuts equal.

this, no way is it using the GPS