Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Who Has The Best Motorcycle Insurance and Why?

Old 08-30-2016, 06:18 AM
faapilot
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who Has The Best Motorcycle Insurance and Why?

Currently have State Farm (for 20 + years) and have (Thankfully) never had to use it. But, for those of you who have had to use insurance (Sucks) what insurance company has the best coverage? Why is it the best coverage? Who has the worst coverage? Why is it the worst coverage?
Thanks for your feedback and ride safe!

Old 08-30-2016, 06:50 AM
RoadKingCop
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Used to have USAA till they dropped motorcycles and was rolled over to progressive. Rates went up and ended up going with Safeco (subsidiary of Liberty Mutual) and they've been good so far.

And for the WHY. I once drained my primary with the incorrect assumption that I could unbolt the primary cover and replace the fluid myself. I was wrong and I stripped every single one of them with my cheap husky tool. no tool in my arsenal could unstick the bolts on a new unopened primary cover. So I called Safeco and they towed it to Killer Creek for free.

Ben

Last edited by RoadKingCop; 08-30-2016 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Forgot
Old 08-30-2016, 08:04 AM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

Geico, i like the little Gecko.

Actually best coverage for the price.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:07 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

I have State Farm because it's dirt cheap with my 2 cars and house all together. Under $250 a year for full coverage on a 2014 Yamaha Stratoliner.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:19 AM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 868 Likes on 511 Posts

I've never had to use it... but for pricing for me, Progressive.
We have 2 newer (2015) vechicles in our house, homeowners and my small enclosed trailer on our AAA policy. Their motorcycle insurance was outrageous.

I switched to progressive and haven't looked back. As said, and knocking on wood as I type this, haven't had to use it yet.
I do like the fact they give you a few K for accessories, as I look at all the chrome on my bike...it's nice to know it should be covered.

I'm bent over in Michigan, we have a "Catastrophic claims fund" that is an automatic $150 per year on my insurance (nearly 190 on my truck) that I have no option, you pay it or don't get insurance. Biggest joke there is.

Last edited by dajogejr; 08-30-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:47 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKingCop
Used to have USAA till they dropped motorcycles and was rolled over to progressive. Rates went up and ended up going with Safeco (subsidiary of Liberty Mutual) and they've been good so far....Ben
USAA dropped bikes? They gave me a quote last year but it was higher than GEICO.... Soooooo, $300 for full coverage here in MD. USAA wanted $331.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:54 AM
azlou66
Road Captain

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I have Geico via USAA. My vehicles are with USAA.

Last edited by azlou66; 08-30-2016 at 09:55 AM. Reason: add
Old 08-30-2016, 10:03 AM
meat_ball
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hate Work
USAA dropped bikes? They gave me a quote last year but it was higher than GEICO.... Soooooo, $300 for full coverage here in MD. USAA wanted $331.
They did in TN. Progressive is who they farm out to over here as well.

I went with Markel Insurance instead mainly because of price. Their policy seems pretty good, and they were much cheaper than others...

Old 08-30-2016, 10:14 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Strictly speaking, coverage is pretty identical- liability, medical payments, comprehensive, Collision, set your deductible and off you go. May be small differrences in things like towing reimbursement, roadside assistance and some of the smaller optional things like that.

As far as costs go, it varies so much you can't say one company is the lowest. I got good rates on my ricer thru Progressive, but not so good rates on my Harley. So I switched (same coverage) to Geico.

As far a claims service goes, I've only had to deal with Progressive, and that was for a few car incidents- my son was on our policy and totaled out two cars, and I got clobbered a couple years ago by a red light runner. In all three cases Progressive's claims service was great. But no experience yet with Geico claims service nor any claims on my bike.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:23 AM
azthunt
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently got broadsided by a deer and Progressive took very good care of me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who Has The Best Motorcycle Insurance and Why?