Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Insurance Repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 05:18 PM
NuckaMan
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Insurance Repair

Never been through this process before. Just asking to see what to expect.

Got clipped on my commute home. Currently, insurance company is working on determining if repair is worth it or not. If they say yes, I’m gonna have it towed to a local dealer to get it all fixed up. From the best of my memory, list of damage is….
-Hole in cam chest cover
-Damage to exhaust system
-Handlebars and all hand controls/mirrors
-Both foot control systems (pegs and shifters)
-Scraped up OEM Quarter Fairing
-Front Fender
-Not sure about frame/forks/wheels

Any idea how this goes? Many of my parts are aftermarket...will it be replaced with same or OEM stuff. Also, if they consider it a total loss, how much is the typical buy-back amount (only consider it if the frame is straight).

Thanks

Old 02-14-2017, 05:47 PM
leachman
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts

sounds like a pretty hard crash. It may have sustained enough damage that the frame suffered tweaking.....It may never felt right when everything is replaced....sounds like a new bike is the best way to go.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:18 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,059 Likes on 11,070 Posts

Originally Posted by NuckaMan
Got clipped on my commute home.
Care to share your lane splitting collision circumstances?

Old 02-14-2017, 06:22 PM
VegasGeorge
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

One item that is often forgotten or left out is damages for loss of use. Make sure you tell the adjuster for the other guy's insurance company that you expect to get paid for the loss of use of your bike from the date of the accident to the day your bike is returned to you all fixed. Loss of use is equal to fair rental value. It's up to you to figure that out in your area.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:30 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Another aspect that's often forgotten is diminished value. In a nutshell, a bike that's never been wrecked might be worth, say, $10,000, but the same bike with a wreck on the carfax might only be worth $8,000.

That $2000 difference is the diminished value, and should be part of your claim, whether it's your policy or the other driver's.

As for totalling it out ... if they decide the damages are more than xx% of the bike's value (50%? 70% policies vary) they'll call it totalled. Buyback value is whatever they decide it's worth - so the $10,000 bike with $6,000 in damages would be "worth" $4,000 to buy it back.

Some companies will negotiate the buyback value, rather than take their loss at auction. I've heard of guys getting stupid good deals and winding up with a salvage titled bike that's better than ever. Some states require a builder/shop to be certified to title a salvage bike, which could be a pain in the butt.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:14 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,059 Likes on 11,070 Posts

Originally Posted by VegasGeorge
One item that is often forgotten or left out is damages for loss of use. Make sure you tell the adjuster for the other guy's insurance company that you expect to get paid for the loss of use of your bike from the date of the accident to the day your bike is returned to you all fixed. Loss of use is equal to fair rental value. It's up to you to figure that out in your area.
Would that depend on who is at fault?

Old 02-14-2017, 09:06 PM
NuckaMan
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for some of excellent info, especially JHL. Certainly gave me a glimpse on what to expect. I kind of hope they total it. I do remember there is a whole in the cam cover, exposing the inside to the elements for the past 2.5 weeks, and it's been raining in Cali alot this year.

For what it's worth, I was lane-splitting in the HOV lane, a driver exited the HOV, crossing the double-yellows, I did not have the time nor space to avoid the car which resulted in a collision. The force of the first impact put me into the back of a pick-up truck was in another lane.
I thank my lucky stars this happened in rush hour traffic, which meant it was at relatively low speed (around 30-40MPH). If this happened in non-traffic conditions, most likely I would not be here due to the speeds and possible secondary impacts from other cars.

Thanks again.