Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Extended Warranty ?

Old 09-15-2017, 06:20 PM
yankees1996
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Extended Warranty ?

Will Harley Davidson extended warranty plans cover electrical and computer type problems ? Do you have to purchase the extended warranty through the dealer where you bought your Harley or can you buy from another dealer with a better price ? Interested in a five to seven year warranty on a new 2018 model, any suggestions where to buy or what I should expect on cost ?

Old 09-16-2017, 12:15 AM
merc64
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey, if you do a "Google" search on Harley extended warranty or search the main forum thread you'll find a ton of information on the subject. Good luck

Old 09-16-2017, 03:32 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 600 Likes on 323 Posts

I just went with this company http://www.discountesp.com/ ..

Old 09-16-2017, 06:51 AM
yankees1996
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
I just went with this company http://www.discountesp.com/ ..
Captain, I assume you researched the reviews on this company regarding how they pay , etc. Rates are very good ! Any info you can relay to me would be appreciated ! Thank you !

Old 09-17-2017, 05:43 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 600 Likes on 323 Posts

I went with them from a friend's recommendation he is also a member of this forum.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:39 AM
judgedelta
Road Master
Received 225 Likes on 162 Posts

*** The Extended Service Contract Terms include the 2-Year Factory Warranty period. If you purchase the 4 year term, your motorcycle’s coverage is for 4 years from the Factory Warranty’s Effective Date. (2 Year Factory Warranty + 2 Additional Years)

This came from the Discount Service Plan website. It appears that you get a two-year ESP if you buy a four-year...

Last edited by judgedelta; 09-17-2017 at 11:40 AM. Reason: correction
Old 09-17-2017, 12:47 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

I know this is off topic but I could never understand why anyone buys a product that they believe isn't built well enough, that it needs to have a warranty beyond what comes with it from the factory.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:25 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
I know this is off topic but I could never understand why anyone buys a product that they believe isn't built well enough, that it needs to have a warranty beyond what comes with it from the factory.
I read an indepth article about purchasing warranties on items you buy in your lifetime. The study showed that by buying an extended warranty on products like TV's, Washer/Dryer, Computers, Cars, Motorcycles ect, the money saved was astronomical because 90% of the time products don't break within the warranty period. Extended warranties are limited in scope and they only partially cover items under the original warranty.

Imagine your 72" LED TV went bad, unless you bought it somewhere like Costco the manufacturer will want the item returned in a box, shipped to some location that costs a fortune and you'll wait for months to get your money back or they will return your TV repaired. So in the meantime what do you do? Go 2-3 months without a TV? Nope, you go out and buy another one and that's exactly what the company want's you to do.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:31 PM
yankees1996
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
I read an indepth article about purchasing warranties on items you buy in your lifetime. The study showed that by buying an extended warranty on products like TV's, Washer/Dryer, Computers, Cars, Motorcycles ect, the money saved was astronomical because 90% of the time products don't break within the warranty period. Extended warranties are limited in scope and they only partially cover items under the original warranty.

Imagine your 72" LED TV went bad, unless you bought it somewhere like Costco the manufacturer will want the item returned in a box, shipped to some location that costs a fortune and you'll wait for months to get your money back or they will return your TV repaired. So in the meantime what do you do? Go 2-3 months without a TV? Nope, you go out and buy another one and that's exactly what the company want's you to do.
I think for some people an ESP provides some peace of mind knowing that at least for the number of specified years there is coverage for an unexpected break down. Also, if you sell before the ESP expires I assume it would be easier to sell your bike for more money. Term Life insurance gives the insured peace of mind and you hope you don't have to use it.

The following users liked this post:
JimPalmer (12-27-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 04:52 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
Well if that isn't a post to invite at least 50 more posts to this thread, I don't know what would. ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extended Warranty ?