Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

What's a reasonable yearly insurance rate?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 03:21 PM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Yeah...me too! But I've price shopped. Don't understand how people are getting some of these rates.
I think the geographic area has a lot to do with it. Deductibles play into it as well along with how new the bike is. As you've seen, prices vary wildly from one area to another.
I'm at $443 total per year for 3 bikes with Progressive. If I remember correctly it'd be another $80-100 if I didn't pay it in one shot. No claims, no tickets and wife has taken a MSF course.
$500k liability, $250/500k supplementary uninsured motorist, comprehensive & collision on all. $500 deductible on 2 bikes, $1000 on the third. $4k accessory coverage on 2, $3k accessory on the third. Plus $3500 worth of coverage on the trailer.
But my bikes are old timers. 2001 RKC, 2002 Fat Boy and 2005 Deluxe.

Last edited by 2goldens; 10-16-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:07 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

2013 dyna super glide
$329.00/ yr full collision and comprehensive, $4000 accessories replacement, $250.00 deductible.

Middle of November bike comes off the road and only keep comprehensive while in storage. $115.00. In May when the bike is put back on the road I pay a pro rated amount on the balance for collision which is usually around $90. to $100.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:00 PM
judgedelta
Road Master
Received 225 Likes on 162 Posts

Kinda like asking what your girlfriend's costing you...

Old 10-27-2017, 02:02 PM
03_FatBoy
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$500 deductible, lets just say that my driving history is "VERY" questionable, did not have a license more than I did. I pay around $600 a year for full coverage on my 03 FatBoy.

Last edited by 03_FatBoy; 10-27-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:19 PM
1LargeDog
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 120 Posts

218 for 1 year with Allstate with a $500 deductible, including two cars and a house. I had always used Geico but they came in at close to 350 for the year. I never paid more than 175 with Geico in the past. I wouldnt even consider Progressive.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:30 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

New M8 Street Blob @$48 a month, new for old replacement no excess,Austraya .

Old 11-20-2017, 12:37 PM
zukikat
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As people have stated, posts like "I pay $175 a year in New York for my bike" are meaningless... What bike, what coverage levels, what deductible, what extra coverages, what zip code, garaged, your age, etc, etc, etc...

If I had the bare minimum state mandated liability and no extra coverages added I'd be paying probaly 1/3 of what I actually pay for good coverage and that would still be a lot more for my bikes in my state than some of you pay for decent full coverage.

Plus when it comes to insurance, in most cases the "you get what you pay for" rule often applies. Those cheaper rates for comparable coverage feel great until something happens and you try to file a claim and Mr Ben Dover from that insurance company shows up...

THE single most important factor for insurance is exactly where you live, not just what state you live in.
The second most important factor is your personal situation (age, driving record, insurance history, credit history).
Your levels of coverages and deductubles obviously effect premiums although contrary to popular belief a much higher deductible does not lower the premiums significantly so going with the highest deductible is not the best play in most cases because if you do end up needing to file a claim that deductible is often far more costly than the savings you got for it.

Also note that if you're the type of person who likes to shop around and switch insurance companies to get always get a cheaper rate you actually get put into a significantly higher pricing tier than if you get with one company and stay with them for a few years. The rules on that do vary from one company to another and some will actually deny that it matters but even those companies that deny such practices exist will do it.

Another thing that most insurance companies do, some won't admit it and some actually deny it if asked but they actually do it, is if you pay the entire premium in full when it's time to renew you can get a "full pay" discount and with some companies there's also a "good payer" discount which can shave a significant amount off the total cost. Most companies that offer these things require you to go through at least one or two renewal cycles with that policy before they'll start giving that discount but some will do it from day one. If your premiums are already cheap you won't notice much but if your premiums are high like ours in Louisiana it adds up quick.

My experience with Progressive in the past was that they were decent at handling a claim but at almost every renewal they go up and up and up in fairly large amounts so if you stick with them long enough your rates will be absurd. It ends up feeling like a bait and switch game within just a few years.

Geico seems to be cheap in most cases and their increases seem far less dramatic and less often than Progressive but I know more people who have had significant claims problems with them than have not and usually end up with serious rate hikes afterwards.

I switched from Progressive to Allstate in 2004 because I wanted a certain vehicle that was deemed higher risk and Allstate agreed to take all of my existing vehicles plus add that certain other one for less total than Progressive wanted for just liability on that one certain vehicle. Since then I bought a house and more vehicles and had to file a claim for hurricane damage and my rates have stayed fairly consistent with good discounts for the entire 13 years I've been with them.

That said, Allstate is counting my bikes (and RV's and quads and PWC and such if I had any of those toys) as a separate "Specialty Vehicles" policy, not an auto policy, which qualifies for a multi-vehicle discount on its' own if you've got more than one of those on the policy but the "Specialty Vehicle" policy does not provide any multi-policy discounts for my cars/trucks policy or homeowners policy, nor does having one bike and one car/truck get s multi-vehicle discount for the bike policy or the auto policy which sucks.
For a while I had full coverage on one bike and liability on another that wasn't even running because the discount for 2 bikes was more than the liability on the beater bike that wasn't even fully road worthy at the time so the total premium for both bikes was less than just having my regular ride on the policy by itself. How nuts is that?

I looked into "Dairyland" insurance which markets itself as being more affordable for motorcyclists and it was actually a reasonable price for comparable coverages but it was noticeably higher than what I pay to Allstate so there was no point in me switching.

I looked into Hagerty for my bikes and cars/trucks and their website gladly accepted all of my vehicles and let me choose annual miles ranges for each of them and coverage levels for each of them and the quote was incredible, about 1/3 of what I currently pay, so I picked up the phone and called to get the process started more quickly and was pissed when they started saying that because of my geographic location my truck couldn't be covered and my bike wasn't old enough and my daily driver was too new and blah blah blah and were less than polite because of where I live even though I had just put in all of my info including my exact location and gotten a quote from their website and provided them with that quote number. Such a huge waist of my time.

I have 100/300/100 plus matching UIM and extra passenger coverage plus Med Pay with a $500 deductible for 2 garaged bikes, a '93 FXSTC and a '05 GSX1300R in southeast Louisiana and it costs me over $1,500 a year just for those 2 bikes.
Granted about 2/3 of that is the GSX after discounts but I think the STC would be about $750 a year on its' own without the multi-vehicle discount and that's after considering the fact that I'm fairly old with a spotless record and other policies with that company.
In contrast, my truck and 2 cars cost me about that much every 6 months with the same coverages. Louisiana has some of the highest rates nationwide to begin with and southeast Louisiana is even higher. At least I don't live in New Orleans proper. They'd jack it up at least another 25% or more if I did, seriously...

Old 11-22-2017, 04:33 PM
kap1
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

I can't define what is reasonable but I will say that I find a 110.00 fee to pay in two 6 mth installments very unreasonable which is what Safeco wanted this year. I understand a fee but 110 is outrageous. It was close to 20% of the cost of the insurance and I am sure if paid in one sum that there is a paperwork cost figured into it. I went to Dairyland and their rates where quite a bit better. Another insurance co. wanted exactly the same 110 bucks. I was reminded of a trip to a local MD a few yrs ago. A self pay,I called and asked the fee in advance and was told 45 bucks to see MD and if any lab or xrays needed then that would be through affiliated hospital and separate. I didn't need more than 15min with MD and got a bill for 95. The hospital tacked on 50 bucks just to send me the bill for a MD fee of 45 dollars. When I complained they knocked off 25 bucks.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:48 PM
zukikat
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hence the "paid in full" discount, it's anywhere from 10-20% depending on the company.
Safeco seems right up there with "The General" and other "we insure anyone" (aka high risk) insurance companies.
Most auto insurance companies charge a "nominal fee" (like around $3.50 per month or equivalent typically) to do their payment plans plus they also charge a higher premium than if you paid it all at once so the percentage extra you're paying to do their installment plans depends on your premium but in most cases it can really add up.
One solution you can do if you have any low interest credit cards is charge the full premium on a credit card, get a discount from the insurance company for doing that, and make monthly payments to the credit card folks with a bit of interest each month. It depends on the interest rate though as to whether that's the better payment plan deal for you or not.