Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Geico vs Progressive

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 09:31 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,603 Likes on 5,172 Posts

I had Progressive for 11 years. All of the sudden they doubled my bikes insurance . No reason given. I switched to GEICO been with the 3 years now. Switched my cars also .

Old 01-13-2018, 10:28 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

There is always a reason. The bumped my rate with slightly credit rating change. Turns our RIP had aquired a couple credit cards from store to take advantage of store discounts. They explained why when I ask. Just by chance, my full time agent picked me up for less. Did not last long and he was no longer competitive. Progressive wanted me back.
They like me. Perfect driving record and I ask nothing of them other then make me legal to drive in VA.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-13-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:13 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
There is always a reason. The bumped my rate with slightly credit rating change. Turns our RIP had aquired a couple credit cards from store to take advantage of store discounts. They explained why when I ask. Just by chance, my full time agent picked me up for less. Did not last long and he was no longer competitive. Progressive wanted me back.
They like me. Perfect driving record and I ask nothing of them other then make me legal to drive in VA.
Reason maybe they just wanted to get way with it. Sure after I dropped them they called me a bunch of time trying to offer to fix it. Not happening . I am sure someday GECIO will do the same, we shall see.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:13 PM
GarBare
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Geico & Progressive vs. HD Insurance

I just ran a quick comparison of quotes online of coverages and neither Geico or Progressive insurance even come close to touching the HD insurance offerings. Optional Coverages were not as good nor did the premiums even come close for the same coverages through HD.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:33 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

As stated, many variables. I've switched several times over the years. Right now I have 09 FLHTCU, 07 FLSTC, 89 FLHTCU, and 80 FXB @ market, $10K, 6K, and 10K, +3K extra on each for add ons, full coverage - Paid in Full Annual Premium $850 (Progressive). Next closest was $200 more.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:00 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by GarBare
I just ran a quick comparison of quotes online of coverages and neither Geico or Progressive insurance even come close to touching the HD insurance offerings. Optional Coverages were not as good nor did the premiums even come close for the same coverages through HD.
HD insurance is progressive. If you already have progressive HD will not give you a quote.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:08 PM
wxmcpo
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 37 Posts

I have been with Geico for many years including motorcycle insurance. When I lived in Hawaii I was paying $136 a year for the motorcycle insurance for a 2014 Ultra Classic. Moved to Texas and their quote was over $800 a year. Called Progressive and got it for over $500 less a year. I called Geico up and told them what Progressive quoted me for the exact same coverage and asked if they could match. Geico said they could not. I asked why the insurance was so high and he stated they receive more motorcycle claims a year in Texas than most other states. I still have Geico for my car insurance though.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:14 PM
GarBare
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must have a lot to do with location as well. Just ran some online comparison with Markel, Progressive, HD Insurance and Dairyland with HD and Dairyland winning the lowest premiums for comparable coverages. Progressive 2/3's higher@ over $800/yr and Geico@just over $200/yr more than HD or Dairyland. No brainer I just would like to determine whether or not I have to fight to get paid from them since HD and Diaryland appear to be the same company...................State farm sets the low bar but coverages are very lacking when compared to the others,,,,,,,,I do a lot of riding alone and over 100 miles from home so I'm dumping state farm for some added security on the road. Just wondering what company to go with that is hassle free..........any suggestions??

Old 01-16-2018, 11:05 PM
JimPalmer
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
HD insurance is progressive. If you already have progressive HD will not give you a quote.
Harley-Davidson Insurance just switched from Progressive to a new product underwritten by Sentry. It is a stripped down version of their Dairyland Cycle product.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:06 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 153 Posts

I know this is not MC related but here is what Geico tried to pull.
My daughter in law just had her truck stolen.
Geico was really lowballing her on the settlement amount.
KBB in good condition with actual mileage was $10K.
They offered 5K.
They decided that there were 20,000 more miles on it than there actually were.
She had a 2 month old receipt for tires that showed the real mileage at that time but they refused to base their mileage on that.
They tried to charge her $300 for transmission wear.
Where did they get that idea?
The car was in excellent condition but they decided it was in bad condition.
How did they determine condition on a vehicle that they could not look at?
She won't be purchasing insurance from Geico again.

Quick Reply: Geico vs Progressive