Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Geico vs Progressive

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 03:09 PM
Peace Frog
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I have Progressive as they were $20-$75 cheaper than everyone else... No issues in the 3 years I've been using them.
Used USAA before them and saved $$$ by going with Progressive.

The following users liked this post:
GarBare (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 03:18 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

While my knee-jerk reaction is to hate and be distrustful of anything "progressive", I can confirm that Geico lost my motorcycle business because their premium was double that of Progressive and Geico never got my RV coverage because Progressive was 1/2 Geico's quote.

The following users liked this post:
GarBare (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 03:28 PM
GarBare
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
HD insurance is progressive. If you already have progressive HD will not give you a quote.
Actually through my research HD insurance is underwritten by Sentry Ins. Group and also writes the Dairyland Cycle policies. When filling out the online quote process the pages are exactly the same with only slight differences in the added coverages and only price differences between the two for normal coverages. Progressive does not write the HD insurance, or at least not that I have found anyway, but I'm pretty niiave when it comes to insurance. That's why I'm inquiring in the HD forum lol!! For some reason in Nebraska the Geico and Progressive companies are at least 1/2 to 2/3 higher premium cost than either dairyland or HD Insurance..........probably going to go with dairyland since i have a local agent in my home town.......

Old 01-29-2018, 03:31 PM
GarBare
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Peace Frog
I have Progressive as they were $20-$75 cheaper than everyone else... No issues in the 3 years I've been using them.
Used USAA before them and saved $$$ by going with Progressive.
That's great for you, however, in Nebraska they are 1/2 to 2/3 higher premium cost than Dairyland or HD Insurance for some reason. Guess they don't like the huskers lol!!

Old 01-30-2018, 07:54 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,405 Likes on 2,939 Posts
Old 01-31-2018, 07:20 PM
P.C.
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ditto. I saved a boatload of money by dumping Geico! I am with Rider for my 93 Softail and Hagerty for the 72 XLCH.

Last edited by P.C.; 01-31-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:26 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

I shop rates pretty much every year. Geico holds the bike at $100 less than Progressive but Progressive just stomps Geico on the wife's Pathfinder and my 2 older Porsches (by $600 per year.)

Old 02-03-2018, 02:47 PM
NugBa
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Progressive here with $250k/$500k (needed for one million umbrella policy) near Philadelphia $450. Insuring 2018 Street Glide Special.

John

Old 02-03-2018, 02:56 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,190 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
HD insurance is progressive. If you already have progressive HD will not give you a quote.
Well, last month I called HD, I had Progressive, they told me they went out on their own. HD is how I ended up with Progressive back in 06.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:39 AM
warjorge
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I work for an auto insurer and what I do know is Progressive tends to have lower rates for Motorcycle insurance in large part because it has a formal partnership with Harley and gives a nice discount to HOG members. They are both what we term "Standard Insurance" companies meaning the way they handle claims and book of business are very in line with each other.

You will find poor and positive experiences in any of these companies, I recommend you go with the cheaper coverage assuming the coverages are identical.

Also, "Full Coverage" is a very misinterpreted term, there really is no such thing because there are vast different levels of coverage. Most people attribute this to their vehicle being covered as well as third party liability coverage. Just to give you guys some insights on the types of coverages you want to secure

Comprehensive (COMP) - Damages to your bike in the event of flood/vandalism/theft/natural disaster
Collision (COLL) - Damages to your bike in an accident while it's being ridden
Bodily Injury (BI) - Injuries you cause to other people while operating your bike (There are vastly different amounts, from having 0 to having over 1 million of coverage)
Property Damage (PD) - Damage you cause to property (Just like BI, vastly different amounts, the higher the coverage, the more expensive)

Some less common types of coverage include Uninsured Motorist, Personal Injury Protection and others that vary from state to state. If you guys need any help with some info, be sure to reach out!

Quick Reply: Geico vs Progressive