Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.
View Poll Results: Progressive or State Farm
Progressive
42.86%
State Farm
35.71%
other you name it in post
21.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Progressive or State Farm

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 08:02 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallasdave
Mine will be up for renewal in May, I currently have dairyland. We will see if they jack my rates up after the first year, everyone else I checked with was 50 to 75 percent higher
They didn't raise mine till the third year. So you might be good. May depend on where you live?

Old 03-11-2018, 08:33 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

GO to whoever gives you the cheapest price. I suspect Markel is best and lowest price.

All insurance is the same, you get in an accident, they pay, something gets stolen they pay (assuming you chose that option.. Anything else is BS and marketing.

I change ins companies at any given time I find a cheaper rate, doesnt matter if its cars, trucks, home or bike, I dont wait for it to expire either, Ill change in the middle of a current term, best price always wins. I dont care if its a one year "break" for new customers as some have posted in here, Ill just switch when renewal time comes up,,, they all play the game against the public in general, I use the internet and play it back and it pays back big time.

If your looking for best price and been with the same company for more then 3 years, your paying too much, Some State Farm agents will rake you over the coals if they know you are not going to switch.

Whatever floats your boat ... Internet is your friend, I spend a couple hours every year and get paid back maybe at the rate of $100 an hour for my time every year, by taking the time to switch companies. I must have had 6 different home ins companies in the last 11 years, looking like the current one is a keeper, two years now, hasnt gone up and others are hundreds more. Yet my brain says there must be a cheaper rate someplace. ) Havent found it yet.

As far as the bike, it will be interesting to see what Markel does come renewal time, I suspect the rate will be the same. My bike ins is so cheap and I am covered to the hilt. One cool thing with Markel which I only switched to a year ago was for new bikes, first 3 years is actual replacement cost if totaled or stolen.

Im not blaming ins companies, they are in business to make money for their stockholders and they know darn well they have loyal customers who wont switch, so they can get more profit, they also know most people are just plain lazy and the vast, vast majority do not price shop every year, so your rate creeps up, more profit for them and good for them, with them making so much money, Im one of the few who can get a real cheap rate while others pay way more!

My policy -
Bodily Injury - 100/300,000
Property damage - 50,000
Uninsured motorists Bodily injury 100/300,000
Underinsured motorists Bodily injury 100/300,000

Underinsured and unisured property damage 50,000

Comprehensive* - $500 deductable
Collision $1000* - deductable
For the first 3 years on a new bike, it is ACTUAL replacement cost!
Accessories are up to $1,500 of replacement cost per accident.

My total (12 month) annual premium = $392.00

Discounts = Homeowner, Safe driver, Anti lock brakes

Last edited by alarmdoug; 03-11-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:10 AM
spiritwarrior
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Usaa

They issue bike insurance through a Progessive Branch located within USAA. They no longer directly insure bikes.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:19 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 396 Posts

A few decades ago State Farm did the same thing to me, so I went with Dairyland. A couple of years ago Dairyland raised my rate for no reason, at least regarding my driving record, experience, etc. so I went to Geico.

It is best to shop around because they have no loyalty to us as individuals. They apparently only consider the market(area).

Old 03-12-2018, 12:22 AM
spiritwarrior
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes and No. I have been with USAA for 40yrs come June 2019. Last month looked for someone cheaper. I found potential someones but here are my discoveries:

Amica was the closest to providing the same coverage, but with a needed umbrella policy, they were $300 more expensive than USAA. Using an independent agent, we found cheaper, but they don't want to insure big dogs(liability). We have a huge German Shepherd, who does not like you if you have not been introduced. (as it should be).

USAA has gotten a little big for their britches now that they have expanded the potential client base. However, they pay claims quickly, use independent adjusters and the kicker was for me at the 40 yr mark, I',m getting a 10% rebate in addition to the subscriber rebate we all get in December. They provide a new insurance card in minutes when you buy a new vehicle, and other insurance companies pay up quickly as USAA has hugh reserves and lawyers.

So at the moment a USAA member for life, but I keep looking.

I have seen USAA do some awesome things during major disasters. Their members are part of their company and many of the employees are also long time insured with USAA. So there is loyalty that goes beyond BS and marketing.

Originally Posted by alarmdoug
GO to whoever gives you the cheapest price. I suspect Markel is best and lowest price.

All insurance is the same, you get in an accident, they pay, something gets stolen they pay (assuming you chose that option.. Anything else is BS and marketing.

I change ins companies at any given time I find a cheaper rate, doesnt matter if its cars, trucks, home or bike, I dont wait for it to expire either, Ill change in the middle of a current term, best price always wins. I dont care if its a one year "break" for new customers as some have posted in here, Ill just switch when renewal time comes up,,, they all play the game against the public in general, I use the internet and play it back and it pays back big time.

If your looking for best price and been with the same company for more then 3 years, your paying too much, Some State Farm agents will rake you over the coals if they know you are not going to switch.

Whatever floats your boat ... Internet is your friend, I spend a couple hours every year and get paid back maybe at the rate of $100 an hour for my time every year, by taking the time to switch companies. I must have had 6 different home ins companies in the last 11 years, looking like the current one is a keeper, two years now, hasnt gone up and others are hundreds more. Yet my brain says there must be a cheaper rate someplace. ) Havent found it yet.

As far as the bike, it will be interesting to see what Markel does come renewal time, I suspect the rate will be the same. My bike ins is so cheap and I am covered to the hilt. One cool thing with Markel which I only switched to a year ago was for new bikes, first 3 years is actual replacement cost if totaled or stolen.

Im not blaming ins companies, they are in business to make money for their stockholders and they know darn well they have loyal customers who wont switch, so they can get more profit, they also know most people are just plain lazy and the vast, vast majority do not price shop every year, so your rate creeps up, more profit for them and good for them, with them making so much money, Im one of the few who can get a real cheap rate while others pay way more!

My policy -
Bodily Injury - 100/300,000
Property damage - 50,000
Uninsured motorists Bodily injury 100/300,000
Underinsured motorists Bodily injury 100/300,000

Underinsured and unisured property damage 50,000

Comprehensive* - $500 deductable
Collision $1000* - deductable
For the first 3 years on a new bike, it is ACTUAL replacement cost!
Accessories are up to $1,500 of replacement cost per accident.

My total (12 month) annual premium = $392.00

Discounts = Homeowner, Safe driver, Anti lock brakes

Old 03-12-2018, 06:07 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Nothing wrong with being loyal to a company and for reasons that you are happy about.

My statement is simple, (even if I typed way to much above*L*) if just looking for insurance without any loyalty (for whatever reason, im not knocking it) and cost is someones primary concern.

Then shop rates, its soooo simple to do on the computer, all insurance companies have to pay when an accident and all do, all online insurance companies offer instant ins cards.
When I say all insurance companies I am talking about any that are large enough to be mentioned in a forum. Which is just about anyone.

The "BS marketing" comment I made is with companies I have dealt with, which is A LOT, I have not dealt with USAA.
Lets face it, the majority of all US companies are huge companies and their primary/fiduciary responsibility is maximum return to their shareholders.

The OP was price shopping and what the thread was about, but if he is eligible, it cant hurt to try USAA either, my statement was simply to get on the computer and contact everyone, if looking for best price, best price then wins.

No different then a publicly traded powersports or motorcycle company. ) ... hey ...

The OP was price shopping and what the thread was about, but if he is eligible, it cant hurt to try USAA either, my statement was simply to get on the computer and contact everyone, if looking for best price, best price then wins but many, State Farm being one, gives you a LONG list off all your discounts, loyality, accident free, multi vechicle ect, ect but then you start to check the price for the same coverage you have with them and in many cases find out it was all BS when the other company comes in much lower.

Last edited by alarmdoug; 03-12-2018 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:08 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Every time I check, Progressive gives me (through my independent agent) the best price that I can find on our four bikes.

Progressive and State Farm seem to be the dominant bike insurers in Michigan.
I've been with Progressive for many years and I've yet to have a claim or sudden or dramatic increase on my rates.

At one time I was with State Farm (house and bike).
I received a "cancellation" notice on my bike insurance and at that time I hadn't had a moving violation in several years.
I called my agent and he explained that I was cancelled because my wife had received three minor (2-5 over, and 1-10 over) moving violations within a three year period!
I explained to him that my wife did NOT have a motorcycle endorsement and couldn't even ride a motorcycle and that I could possibly understand a rate increase but cancellation?

Try getting a good insurance quote from a new carrier once you've been cancelled by another!

NO, State Farm anything for me after that. As soon as my home owners neared expiration, I changed to another carrier. We bought another home and they had State Farm homeowner's insurance and their agent couldn't understand why I wouldn't let her handle my policy.
I still get let letters form State Farm but they're just wasting their paper and postage.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:44 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

I've had Progressive and my Springer for little over 13 years and it was the cheapest insurance at that time. Each year it goes down a little so I don't see any reason to look around. I did check on their competitors and Progressive gave me the best deal.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:23 PM
Hammertime1978
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm bundled through USAA but they use Progressive for Motorcycle Insurance. I've tried the Gecko and Statefarm, and Harley Insurance but, nobody will give me the same custom policy on my 1989 Softail Custom. They agreed to insure it at $15,000 for a $40 a month policy. So until someone else is willing to do that. I'm kinda stuck with them.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:26 AM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Dawort
This info gets posted from time to time, but doesn't seem like it will ever catch up to the old news.

Quick Reply: Progressive or State Farm