Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Be aware of STUPID drivers

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 11:11 PM
Toolmaster
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Question

Does anyone have any knowledge and/or experience with getting a new special edition Harley repaired after an accident? Does anyone have any advice about Dairyland Insurance, or my repairs?

On Saturday afternoon around 17:30 CST (5:30 pm), I was riding in heavy traffic on a 4 lane road that is posted 30 MPH, the traffic was holding a steady pace of about 36 MPH, I was in the left lane and a car in the right lane turned to the right and in effect slowed that lane down and opened it up for me to switch lanes, since I needed to take a right in a block, I moved to the far right position of the left lane and looked over my shoulder to ensure it was clear for a lane change, at that exact moment the driver 5 cars ahead of me decided they needed to stop to turn across a double yellow center line to turn in front of oncoming traffic to get to the International Foods Market.
BANG!!!!!
I was lucky that I was already switching lanes because I was not aware that the cars in front of me had stopped. My engine guard ripped the plastic off of the passenger rear corner of a small car, sheared the bolts off of my floor board and shifter bracket which broke some cylinder cooling fins, and the engine guard which destroyed my fender. Even the anti-vibration pads on the floorboards were affected, since they are now floating over 1/4" above where they were.
Now I have to deal with insurance claims on 2 vehicles, and pay a $500 deductible, increased insurance cost, and I will likely have to pay for my motorcycle repairs first, or wait the whole riding season before the insurance company gets their end in order. I am insured through Dairyland Insurance, I hope they are as good as their reputation.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-26-2018 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 05-14-2018, 08:52 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,746 Likes on 6,893 Posts

Man that really stinks! Glad you are okay and the bike is not hurt any worse.

Good luck and keep us posted on how your insurance company does.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:41 PM
Toolmaster
Cruiser

Well, Dairyland insurance was very friendly and efficient. Fargo Harley Davidson had an estimate done the day I brought it to them and Dairyland agreed with their claim and paid them within a week.
I was able to make my bike ride able while waiting for them to get all of the parts, which took two weeks.
But Fargo HD said that the frame is bent from the accident, I dropped my bike off on Monday expecting to pick it up yesterday, but they told me it won't be done for about 2 weeks because the frame the HD factory sent them was twisted.
Dairyland is a good insurance provider, not so sure about the frame issue, sounds funky to me.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:46 PM
Toolmaster
Cruiser

all fixed. took a month.

Back to new.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:08 PM
J3TVETTE
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Looks like it never happened! Congrats

Old 07-23-2018, 04:02 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Toolmaster
I am insured through Dairyland Insurance, I hope they are as good as their reputation.
I was with Dairyland for decades and never had a claim or ticket. Then I totaled out my 883c. I don't think it cost Dairyland any money because the other guy's insurance company paid me a large sum of money, after contacting an attorney of course.

But Dairyland canceled me anyway.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:22 AM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
I was with Dairyland for decades and never had a claim or ticket. Then I totaled out my 883c. I don't think it cost Dairyland any money because the other guy's insurance company paid me a large sum of money, after contacting an attorney of course.

But Dairyland canceled me anyway.
Sounds "normal." Same thing happened to me, with Progressive.

The cancellation came 1 month before renewal.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:36 PM
Toolmaster
Cruiser

They didn't cancel my insurance, and my rates are still the same.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
ibang1
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on getting the bike fixed. I just got rear ended last Saturday. I have progressive and they reached out to the other driver but never answered calls. Insurance company called the drivers insurance (Liberty Mutual) and filed a claim. Now waiting to hear from LM. The driver didn’t even report the accident. I’m day two and having aches and pain and I found out I didn’t have PIP. Didn’t realize I opted out. Now I have to use my medical insurance. Glad to hear the good story and I also reached out to a lawyer. I hope the dealership will make my bike new.