Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Progressive Insurance Rip-Off

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 10:45 PM
FBL2011
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Progressive Insurance Rip-Off

Wow - I'm with GMAC for about $ 275.00 a year

Aside from the other stuff I'd be REALLY concerned about not having uninsured/underinsured coverage with all the illegals we have here I live..I had to lock my Pathfinder down last week when some mexican idiots went across 5 lanes of traffic almost taking me and the car to my left out.

ORIGINAL: DelawareDon

First, the demographics: I'm a 64 year-old, well-educated rider of some 42+ years with an excellent credit rating. I have purchased Progressive Motorcycle Insurance for many of those 42 years....In fact, all but one of those years, about 12 years ago,when I tried DairyLand. I regularly take every motorcycle safety course I can take. I have no violations on my driving record and have never filed a claim of any sort with Progressive.

I recently purchased an 07 FLHT, and yesterday received my premium notice for the next year. My coverage is as follows:

Bodily Injury Liability = $15000 each person, $30,000 each accident
Property Damage Liability = $10,000 each accident
Personal Injury Protection = $15,000 each person, $30,000 each accident
No uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury or property damage.
Comprehensive @ $500 deductible.
Collision @ $500 deductible.
Custom parts and/or equipment = $1000 coverage.
Roadside assistance included.

TOTAL 12 MONTH PREMIUM = $805.00

Thinking this amount was really excessive (I don't mind paying fair prices at all, but HATE getting ripped off), I went online to do a search for alternatives. The result?

BikeLine (Markel American Ins. Co.) quote for one year withidentical coverage = $358.00

So long, Progressive! I value loyalty, but not atover twice the price!

Old 06-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Slider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just renewed mine with Dairyland...got quotes from Progressive and Geico...I lowered deductable increased my custom parts coverage and was still $300 less a year than either one of the others.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:09 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: DelawareDon

First, the demographics: I'm a 64 year-old, well-educated rider of some 42+ years with an excellent credit rating. I have purchased Progressive Motorcycle Insurance for many of those 42 years....In fact, all but one of those years, about 12 years ago,when I tried DairyLand. I regularly take every motorcycle safety course I can take. I have no violations on my driving record and have never filed a claim of any sort with Progressive.
I had a similar experience with my '96 RK about a year ago. My demographic profile is similar to yours, 60 w/MBA, top credit rating, 41-year riding record, and a clear accident and ticket history. My last Progressive bill was almost double that of the previous year, and when I asked about it was told that "some tiers increased, some didn't." Well, I asked "What 'tier' am I?" they wouldn't or couldn't tell me. Maybe it was post-Katrina residency in LA, although some of my friends (similar profiles) didn't have their premiums increased.

Anyway, I filled out the on-line form for Geico and was quoted $250 with more coverage (100/300/50 liability) than you posted. I also am not carrying UIM. When I bought my '07 SG the rate went up to about $440, but I expected an increase on the newer bike and am happy with the status quo.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:15 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: mp

Progressive.........$348 per year
Geico.................$187 per year
Adolph Hitler........Radical right wing A.H.
Joseph Stalin.......Radical right wing A.H.
G. Bush Jr...........Radical right wing A.H.
Jesus Christ........Liberal

Hmmm....guess I'll go with Geico and being a liberal.
LOL. Gotta love it, and all of the above are true.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:47 PM
billjr
Cruiser

My dad tried getting dairyland and they would not insure him unless he moved his cars over and they said the same thing to me how do you get them. I have statefarm on my car and no one can beat what I pay I have had them for 27 years, but the bike they want 330.00 every 6 months which is too much in my book.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:21 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

GOT MARKEL AND ITS AROUND THE LOWER FIGURES EVERYONE HAS STATED BUT i DO EXCEPT SOME RISK AND ALSO YOUR ZIP CODE I THINK HAS A LOT TO DO WITH IT. I THINK IT CAN DOUBLE OR TRIPLE YOUR PREMIUMS?

HERE IS A DEAL THAT IS GOING TO BE EXTINKED IF NOT ALREADY. GOT MY SPORTY INSURED LIKE A "PAINTING" OR "ENGAGEMENT RING" THRU THE MILITAIRY20 BUCKS A YEAR AND THEY SEND ME 7.50 DIVIDEND BACK EVERY 6 MONTHS!! BUT ONCE I CANCEL THE POLICYTHE DEAL IS OFF FOREVER[sm=boosign.gif]

Old 06-25-2007, 12:47 AM
FLWanderer
Cruiser

I have read the forum concerning Progressive.....which I have now. There was mention of checking the insurance at HD. So I did just that.....you'd be surprised to know that they're quote was $812.00, which was Progressive. I presently pay $518.00 for the below coverage, which was exactly the same I submitted for coverage to Progressive (HD). So something is amist in Denmark on the quote. Why the big difference......your guess is good as mine. Goes to show that insurance companies and politicians must go to the same schools along with the liberal lawyers of the ACLU.

Bodily......$25,000/$50,000
Property...$10,000 ea accident
Unisured-nonstacked..$10,000 ea person/$20,000 ea accident
Comp.......$500 ded
Collision.....$500 ded
Custom parts....$1,000 included

This is for a 2004 Electra Glide Classic.....
Still shopping around.......

Old 06-25-2007, 12:53 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: celtlion

Wow - I'm with GMAC for about $ 275.00 a year

Aside from the other stuff I'd be REALLY concerned about not having uninsured/underinsured coverage with all the illegals we have here I live..I had to lock my Pathfinder down last week when some mexican idiots went across 5 lanes of traffic almost taking me and the car to my left out.

I don't think a lot of people understand that uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage only covers medical and nothing else. It doesn't do a thing for damage to your car or if you have an accident with an uninsured motorist that is their fault. It's only for medical coverage so if you have medical coverage with your job or whatever then it's unecessary and almost doubles the price for motorcycle insurance which is why I don't carry it on my bike.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:00 AM
FLWanderer
Cruiser

oldfart......I'm aware of the uninsured coverage......being retired Navy.....I'm pretty much covered.
I'm retired completely and use Tricare. Keep in mind that I read there are some states that require proof of $10,000 medical coverage, which is usually indicated on the proof of insurance card that
states require. I read that someone got stopped and could not produce the proof to the patrol officer....hence big ticket. You can't win in today's world......everyone wants part of what you got...ie.....$$$$$$$$

Old 06-25-2007, 02:27 AM
spizzyman
Road Master

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: mp

Progressive.........$348 per year
Geico.................$187 per year
Adolph Hitler........Radical right wing A.H.
Joseph Stalin.......Radical right wing A.H.
G. Bush Jr...........Radical right wing A.H.
Jesus Christ........Liberal

Hmmm....guess I'll go with Geico and being a liberal.

[/blockquote]

LOL. Gotta love it, and all of the above are true.
[blockquote][/blockquote]

Wow! It is an amazing mind that can twist reality like that. I hope you didn't hurt yourself. Since when are communists and facists right wing? For that matter, when did "W" become a conservative? And for the record, I think the Savior is above politics altogether.

Have a nice night.

spiz

Quick Reply: Progressive Insurance Rip-Off