Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Bike Insuarance Canada (ontario)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 05:38 PM
Road Gliderman
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

That is terrible and we don't have to stand by and take this crap, we can fight for either lower rates or the option to insure for 6 months only. If you ride with friends which we all do, get them to send letters or emails to MPP and Doug Ford. Truckers when they got hit they staged rallies and protests, slowed traffic on the 401. 33% is off the wall I will be paying more for the bike then the car!! We have to let these people we raise money for that their number will be hit because there will be a lot less bikes. Dealerships have to get behind us because they will be loosing too. There are a lot of people who benefit through bikers time they helped us.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:22 PM
ringer1969
Tourer
Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

im a couple hours north of you 519 area code , its not bundled with home , my coverage , deducts etc almost clone yours

The following users liked this post:
wide glider (01-02-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 01:17 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 307 Likes on 194 Posts

I wonder if you could go 100% USA motorcycle, as a Canadian.

So - Buy from XYZ Dealer in say Arizona. Insure it with AZ plates. Store it at AZ Dealership, self storage, friends house etc. Fly n ride for winter. keep it in the US.

Biggest thing is to compare MSRP CAD vs USD.
US Price: Starting at $27,089 XE.COM = $35,999.77 CAD
Canadian Price: Starting at $ 32,999 XECOM = $24,832.01 USD

Hmmm. Not in our favour. But to any US Citizen reading this thread. Come to Canada and buy a motorcycle I suppose...

Rates in AB were less than BC. But it is assumed in BC many will be in the lower mainland or Vancouver Island. That equates to a longer riding season. So in AB you have to insure for 12 months, but it's assumed you're riding for 5-6 months. In AB I've been out as early as mid April, and usually done by mid October.

I can't speak for Ontario, but that has been my experience in the west. Those are pretty big jumps for sure. I hear Saskatchewan has low insurance for cars, but I wonder motorcycles.
I had a deal as an alumni through TD. It was cheaper for sure. Age and gender also was a factor when I was younger too. Looking back, I was a risk.

Keep us posted
H

Old 01-08-2019, 01:56 PM
bikermike69
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Southern Ontario here as well 519 area code about 2 hrs east of Toronto, 49 years old, same as others on here. My renewal for 2 Harleys went up about 30% as well, clean records and no claims. 02 FLHTPI and 05 Flhtcui full coverage $1000 deductible. My insurance is due Feb 1. I deal through Mantha Insurance at the moment. Got to start calling around and getting quotes all online quotes are higher than what my insurance broker sent me. I do believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that this increase is because of the Sheikh community not having to wear helmets and the anticipation of health care costs going up. I don't have combined home auto and bike insurance, I have a wood stove in the house and most won't insure us, and I have commercial insurance on the trucks.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:51 PM
wide glider
Road Master
Received 1,126 Likes on 344 Posts

Renewal notice (Mar 01) came in today from Dalton Timmis & Aviva. As mentioned previously, they have all my coverage for home, auto and 2 bikes. Car insurance jumped up 12% and bikes up 22%. Still waiting to see home premium as it hasn't shown up yet. 55yrs old zero accidents/claims ever driving since age 16 and no tickets in over 10yrs. Absolute thievery is all I can say...how else do you describe it? I don't know how they can justify these increases year after year after year. With my driving record, I don't know how you could possibly find someone to insure that's less risk overall. What the **** do these greedy ****** want? It's easy to see they don't want to insure motorcyclists but car rates have jumped once again also and of course our provincial gov't sits back says nothing and does nothing but collect growing tax dollars collected on these policies. Insurance in Ontario is a complete scam. It's mandated and the gov't is in on it all. Ontario has been broken for far too long. All of you in the USA should consider yourselves fortunate and count your blessings.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:25 PM
ringer1969
Tourer

years ago it was the " young riders" now i kid you not - hearing now " older riding crowd and heavy bikes , more getting dropped cause of heavy touring bikes" what a effing joke , i was at bike show last friday in Toronto , sponsored by Dalton Timmons insurance of all things . to top it off the Sikhs had a booth in show promoting the helmet free rights. what a world we live in .

Old 01-09-2019, 10:25 AM
JackKnife5
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just curious if anyone tried Desjardins insurance? I'm in Ottawa and I went from a 08 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 paying a bit over 900 a yr to buying my first HD last spring (09 RK) to roughly $780 a yr full coverage 1k deductible now mind you I have 2 other vehicles Insured with them and have been riding for 25yrs with 0 claims and my bike is older so not sure what new or near new would be but just throwing my 2 cents worth out there.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:42 PM
ringer1969
Tourer

worth a try - thanks for the heads up

Old 01-10-2019, 05:15 PM
wide glider
Road Master
Received 1,126 Likes on 344 Posts

Did you obtain a quote from Desjardins? They bought out State Farm

Old 01-10-2019, 05:34 PM
Road Gliderman
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Also just heard about Wawanesa have to get them through a broker but some are getting good rates there. Keep looking there will be one or two that need money.

Quick Reply: Bike Insuarance Canada (ontario)