Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Insurance Discussion (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/motorcycle-insurance-discussion-125/)
-   -   Bike Insuarance Canada (ontario) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/motorcycle-insurance-discussion/1265977-bike-insuarance-canada-ontario.html)

ringer1969 01-01-2019 09:10 AM

Bike Insuarance Canada (ontario)

hi there , I'm a 50 year old male , no tickets clean driving , just got my insurance renewal for my 2014 street glide , went up 30% from $1043 a year to $1388.00 a year , i was wondering if any Canadians ( Ontario) on here can share who they are using so i can shop mine around . seems line something we need to do every few years

Uncle Larry 01-01-2019 09:23 AM

You're ( probably ) too dang close to Detroit to get a reasonable rate :>)

wide glider 01-01-2019 09:55 AM

I am Canadian also Ringer living in the GTA (Toronto) but will not see a renewal until Mar 01. Who is your insurance provider? Please don't say Dalton Timmis (Aviva). I am fed up with the year over year increases and chasing around for something affordable. I'm damn near the point of getting rid of the bikes all together...

ringer1969 01-01-2019 10:02 AM

YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD WHO I AM WITH , I ASSUME YOUR ALSO . headed to bike show this weekend , hoping to stumble on some, they all seem in bed together , i have been playing with online quotes and all now seem the same . i can't get my head around a increase when i have zero claims - bullshit

wide glider 01-01-2019 10:17 AM

If you are heading to the show this weekend, you too must live close to the GTA. This is bad news....again. I am not a kid at 55 and like you share a perfect record 6-star rating. This is bullshit and yeah I'm fed up with increases like this every renewal. I have been thru Riders Plus, TD, Allstate, and most recently Dalton Timmis (last 3 yrs). I could live with a $25-30 annual premium increase if no claims but 30% is ****ing robbery plain and simple. This news now dampens my spirit toward going to the show Sat night. It's something we look fwd to every winter but seriously I am considering dumping the bikes and getting back into Jeeps again. A lifted TJ Wrangler makes a fun summer toy also and while auto insurance increases yearly, it's no where near the rate climb as the motorcycles are. It's too bad these jackass kids on killer sportbikes have ruined it for all of us.

Jackie Paper 01-01-2019 10:22 AM

Do you have on line choices in Canada? Herein the states, we can choose to pay that with a so called top tier outfit with a fancy name or Progressive and pay $250.
You are paying more for your bike them me for a bike, older truck and new Subie car. Actually almost $400 more but my dollar exchange is quite high to Canada now). ( I have never made a claim in 55 years)
Is the accident rate that high in Canada)

Road Gliderman 01-01-2019 10:33 AM

I am also in the GTA and have been with Mantha which also insures through Aviva, I got a call asking if I would do a survey and all the survey kept saying was are you aware that insurance claims have gone up considerably in the last few years and the insurance companies are loosing money. I am in the same boat 55 perfect driving record my policy doesn't come up until June have to wait and see. I have seen people in States paying $300. a year I wonder if there is any way of insuring the bike in the States? The other thing is there has to be a way of making complaints heard through the government maybe local MP or councillor, 30% is outrageous and shouldn't be allowed.

kel03 01-01-2019 10:36 AM

The increase is due to the number of fatalities there is going to be in the upcoming year due to Sikhs being able to ride without helmets in Ontario. They have to cover off these costs. Heaven forbid they up the insurance of Sikhs, that would be discrimination. I've had this discussion already with a provider. Send a note off to your MPP, the more the better. It's outright robbery what they are doing to us safe riders.

wide glider 01-01-2019 10:44 AM

Ahhh yes....the Sikh riders lol. Maybe Ringer lives in Brampton and you and I will be spared? Sorry Ringer.....lol

Road Gliderman 01-01-2019 11:11 AM

Here is a copy of the letter I just sent to my local MPP feel free to copy it and send it to yours. Also if your going to the bike show drop a copy off to the insurance companies that are there to let them know we are not going to put up with their Bullshit!

I am writing to you regarding a motorcycle insurance rate increase that I believe and also many of my fellow riders also feel as unfair and discriminatory. Some of us have been hit with 30% increases insurance companies are saying the increase is due to numerous claims. Also it has been brought to our attention that a particular community are going to be allowed to ride with no helmet also driving up premiums.

I like many in my riding community have been riding for many years with no claims and don’t deserve to be treated in this manner. If the people want to ride with no helmet the they should be charged accordingly not have the entire community pay for it. If claims have been high a further study should be conducted to see what group is making these claims.

We are counting on you to make our voices heard so that we may enjoy the sport that we love so much. Many will have to give up the sport altogether if these rates are allowed to continue.

Regards,