Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

What's the BIG difference??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 03:57 PM
heritageJ
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's the BIG difference??

I have had Farm Bureau in Iowa for 20 plus years. Been riding on and off for 20 plus years. I just bought my wife a 2011 Forty Eight and myself a 2014 Breakout. I emailed my agent to add the two bikes as usual. (i'm always buying and selling toys... 3 boats currently and 2 hot rods and now 2 bikes.) I have my home insured through them along with everything else. They came back at $490 for the 14 and $430 for the 48. That's $75/mo. Seemed high so i checked with Progressive who I've used recently for my 21 year old daughter and also with Geico who i've never had. Progressive came in at $590 annually for both bikes and Geico at $435!! This is all with $250 ded. and high limits on medical, uninsured, underinsured and both have $2500 accessory coverage which i bet my Farm Bureau policy doesn't have. What's the big difference??? Do they bait and switch? Next year jack the rate? We are both in our mid 40's owning our own home etc.... tried checking with Markel...same as Farm bureau.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:17 PM
heritageJ
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So my agent's associate just emailed me and said that they "found some discounts" for me and lowered the premiums to get me down about $20/mo, but still $10 higher than Geico. At this rate I will stick with my agent to avoid the unknows... but man, why jerk a guy around? Now I'm thinking I need to get some quotes for my entire policy from another company...

Old 01-08-2019, 07:54 PM
KYRGultra
Road Master
Received 489 Likes on 306 Posts

IMHO, your biggest mistake is NOT checking around every couple three years or so.

And insurance can really be complicated. Bear in mind that while company A may have given you a great deal on vehicle/home insurance years ago and it may still be the best deal around BUT maybe their bike policies suck.

After not having a bike for many years I bought a new HD in 2009. Just called my State Farm office, gave them the VIN and asked them to fax coverage to the dealer the next morning so I could pick up the bike around lunchtime. No problem. But...., when I got the bill it seemed high. WAY high. Called Geico, half the price I took it and cancelled the State Farm bike coverage. When my truck insurance came due I checked with Geico and they were a little cheaper on that too so I went with Geico on the truck too. Later, Geico pissed me off. Badly! Their screwup, should never have happened, stupid. *** 'em. Checked around. Went with Dairyland on the bike, best price I ever got anywhere. But I spent enough time on the phone buying the bike coverage I didn't discuss my truck till I had time to call them again couple of days later. Bad news. Dairyland only sells HIGH RISK auto policies--meaning HIGH premiums with LOW coverages. Went back to State Farm for my truck coverage. Talking with the State Farm guy at a later date he told me that State Farm had finally gotten their act together and now had competitive pricing on bike policies. OK, we priced it out. Yep, State Farm had changed their tune! Back to State Farm for truck, bike, homeowners, wife's cage and umbrella liability policy. Seem to be treating me right as I still check around occasionally. And just for general info, I have checked two times, couple of years between checks, with Progressive. I don't remember the dollar amounts but BOTH times their quoted rate to me for my bike was, per my calculator I had during our phone calls, MORE than 3 1/2 times what I was paying. I do not see how they stay in business. And I have seen numerous posts about folks being so pleased and getting good rates with Progressive but I guess I didn't get "Floe's" attention or something.

So, as of a month or six weeks ago when I last paid State Farm for 6 months coverage on my '16 RGU my bill was $148. And that is for really good coverage. I'm satisfied with State Farm BUT I will still do some comparisons every few years just to keep them honest.