Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Geico insurance cautions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 07:23 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 313 Posts

Might be a pain but I always check around every couple years. Had Progressive, was great for several years but slowly crept up so I switched to Geico until that raised up so now I'm with Dairyland. As always the rates vary vastly from state to state.

The following 2 users liked this post by elPrez:
Kfox64 (03-12-2019), smitty901 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 07:51 AM
KYRGultra
Road Master
Received 489 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by FunGramps
Yep, GEICO sucks donkey phallus.

Progressive is the ticket! Lowest cost for the best coverage (If you have a clean driving record and a good credit rating).
I'm glad to see SOMEONE got a good rate from Progressive LOL. In the last 10 years I had had my bikes insured with State Farm,Geico, Dairyland, now back with State Farm. It pays to shop around every couple of years. And during the last 10 years I have checked with Progressive, twice as a matter of fact, couple of years between checking with them. I have had zero accidents, zero insurance claims of any kind, and zero tickets for many years and a great credit rating, etc. Currently, on my 2016 RGU I have good coverage including both UNinsured and UNDERinsured motorists, think my liability is like $100K/$300K or thereabouts and I don't need any more liability than that cause we also have a million dollar umbrella liability policy. Now I do have $1,000 deductible to keep the rate down--but I don't intend to ever file an insurance claim for a smallish amount as I believe insurance should be for major events. So, my most recent State Farm premium for 6 months was $148 and, the last several times I have paid my 6 month premium it has gone down some each renewal. So if it doesn't go down next time it is due my yearly rate will be $296 but it will probably come in at a little less than that if their trend of reducing the amount a little time at each renewal holds steady.

Anyway, both times I checked with Progressive, just like when I check with every insurance company, I'm on the phone with them for quite a while. I want to be sure they have all the facts and that they are figuring in multi vehicle discounts and other factors that may influence a rate like that I'm retired and don't put 3K yearly on my cage and my bike is only ridden for pleasure and I'm a pretty safe and cautious old phart, good credit, upstanding citizen LOL, etc., etc. Now I don't remember the dollar amounts Progressive quoted me but I had my calculator with me during the phone calls and, both times I spoke with Progressive, their very best rate for a model citizen (?) who I believe should get the best rate available was MORE THAN 3 1/2 TIMES what I was at that time getting from State Farm or Geico.

I know insurance rates consider lots of factors, including the zip code you live in and probably a host of other things we don't have much control over. But I simply do not understand how Progressive can stay in business quoting prices like they quoted me. And if they are quoting me high for some reason I am not aware of, well, I just don't have any notion why that would be the case. But...., like so many other things I don't understand, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:50 AM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

GEICO was way cheaper than Progressive for me. My policy shows my helmet is covered. Excellent Credit and driving record. Most major insurance coverage varies by state as well. I tried quotes from GEICO (Lowest with roadside assistance), USAA (Progressive, 4X GEICO rate), Harley (Sentry?, 4X GEICO rate), State Farm (in the middle), Esurance (ALLSTATE, same price as GEICO, but would be extra for roadside assistance).

Last edited by slw210; 03-06-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:52 AM
One Wire
Road Captain

Received 359 Likes on 212 Posts

I don't know. I think rates will vary, depending on the individual. I have been with Geico now for several years, and they have BY FAR been the best rate FOR ME. I shop around a couple times a year, and nobody else even comes close for the same coverage. And, as far as their claims service goes, I don't have experience with their motorcycle insurance claims, but I do with automobile claims. My son was driving my wife's Jeep, and somebody cut too close in front of him and hit the front bumper. The police ticketed the other guy, so his insurance paid the damages. He had Geico. Man, they really took good care of us.

And as far as the OP's issue with riding >500 miles in 24 hours, from the snippet he posted, it looks like they are strictly talking about competition:

or any contest which sanctions continuous riding for 24 or more hours and/or mileage accumulation in excess of 500 miles per 24 hour period.

Not sure if there may be some other clause in the policy that would state that any riding in excess of 500 miles in 24 hours that the claim would not be approved.

Just my $0.02

Old 03-10-2019, 08:15 PM
Jarlaxle
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

An Iron Butt ride or any rally could easily fall under the category of "contest".

Old 03-10-2019, 08:21 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,910 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Originally Posted by FunGramps
Yep, GEICO sucks donkey phallus.

Progressive is the ticket! Lowest cost for the best coverage (If you have a clean driving record and a good credit rating).
Not here, Progressive is $300. more than Geico per year, so as long as I've been riding my gear's more than paid for itself with the money I've saved.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:52 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,562 Likes on 5,154 Posts

After Progressive raised my rate out of sight over night for no reason I switched everything to Geico. They did right by me and the less expensive sidecar rig I had was a lot lower than I expected. When We added the new Hannigan and RGU rig I expected a beating .
It was painless. I am sure the day will come moving on from GEICO will be required just how the game is played.