Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Under/Uninsured Coverage

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 07:19 AM
The Dude
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

JMO, but you better check your health insurance because pretty sure HD is wrong about that. I had to get a few stitches in my elbow and because I was on my bike my health wouldn't cover it, it had to go to auto insurance. I paid the urgent care bill out of my pocket since it really wasn't but a few hundred. Doesn't sound to me like HD is actually saving you anything , just piecing a policy and making it sound low and making yourself a under insured rider.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:49 PM
cruisn
Tourer
Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

Wouldn't collision coverage cover any of the damages done by an UIM ?

Old 04-12-2019, 02:02 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by cruisn
Wouldn't collision coverage cover any of the damages done by an UIM ?
It all depends on the details of your policy I would suppose but why would your Insurer pay for damages which are the fault of the other driver ? Collision covers accidents that are "your" fault no ?

Old 04-12-2019, 02:10 PM
cruisn
Tourer

Originally Posted by HKMark23
It all depends on the details of your policy I would suppose but why would your Insurer pay for damages which are the fault of the other driver ? Collision covers accidents that are "your" fault no ?
Yea you're probable right. I carry UIM bodily injury insurance but not for property damage. It drastically reduced my coverage to not have it. I hope I don't regret that.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:40 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Yea you're probable right. I carry UIM bodily injury insurance but not for property damage. It drastically reduced my coverage to not have it. I hope I don't regret that.
You most likely will . A lot of drivers are uninsured and the courts will not enforce the laws requiring it. You will never recover a dime form the in lawsuits after it happens.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:31 AM
Erik Kramer
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Uim imsurance

So last aug i was hit by a drunk driver who only had the very basic liability coverage what i found out the hard way was that even though i had health insurance from work that covered my hospital bills because it was a car motorcycle collision that i had to pay them back for everything they covered with any settlement that i received and since the drunk #*%÷#$ that hit me only had state minimum coverage i was on the hook for any thing above above his liability limit if you dont have under insured uninsured coverage you it is your responsibility to pay the difference .GET UIM INSURANCE !! . I use safco ins. 250/500 with 250.00 deductable and lost wages and long term disability coverage cost 88.00 a month after 2 shoulders fixed and a knee and 200,000 in hospital bills ive learned hard COVER THY BUTT! Get good insurance

The following users liked this post:
PFWiz (04-25-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 03:46 PM
cruisn
Tourer

Originally Posted by Erik Kramer
So last aug i was hit by a drunk driver who only had the very basic liability coverage what i found out the hard way was that even though i had health insurance from work that covered my hospital bills because it was a car motorcycle collision that i had to pay them back for everything they covered with any settlement that i received and since the drunk #*%÷#$ that hit me only had state minimum coverage i was on the hook for any thing above above his liability limit if you dont have under insured uninsured coverage you it is your responsibility to pay the difference .GET UIM INSURANCE !! . I use safco ins. 250/500 with 250.00 deductable and lost wages and long term disability coverage cost 88.00 a month after 2 shoulders fixed and a knee and 200,000 in hospital bills ive learned hard COVER THY BUTT! Get good insurance
How does that even make sense?? You weren't at fault yet you had to pay? That's just beyond stupid. I wouldn't have paid a ****ing dime.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:06 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

How does that even make sense?? You weren't at fault yet you had to pay? That's just beyond stupid. I wouldn't have paid a ****ing dime.
Here is how it works, many drive but do not have insurance. The law may require it but they don't. The courts will not stop most of them from driving. They get caught time and time a again and let off. When they cause accidents they don'yt pay and you will never collect a dime.
If you do not carry uninsured and under insured motorist protection good luck you will lose.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:33 PM
Erilflynn
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts

And if you’re gonna get it is 100/300 the magic number?

Old 05-05-2019, 02:44 PM
Robert Fulmer
Intermediate
Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Just looking at my renewal for a 2019 FLHXSE, the Under/Unisured coverage is over 50% of the total cost. It is $250,000/$500,00.
Although I have good medical coverage, it will not cover a dime for any “motor vehicle” accident. So in PA, I have no medical coverage as the operator of the MC. But it would cover me if someone hit me while on the bike, so that is one of the reasons I purchase this coverage.

Quick Reply: Under/Uninsured Coverage