Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Under/Uninsured Coverage

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 08:59 PM
franko3219
Road Warrior
Received 1,984 Likes on 749 Posts
Default Under/Uninsured Coverage

I just traded in my previous bike for a new 19 Road Glide, and had to obviously obtain coverage for the new bike. Long story short, my wife and I were impressed by HD’s lower coverage cost in comparison to other quotes. We ended up going with HD’s insurance, but I noticed that the UM coverage was marked as rejected. I called HD back, and they claim that they do this to save money for the rider, because if you are ever in that situation, that a person’s health insurance typically covers that. My wife and I have good health care coverage (need to ensure that there is nothing in there about limiting payouts for motorcycle accidents yet), but I’m wondering if I should leave it like that. Normally I would just add the coverage, but it nearly doubles the premium for the full coverage; that is insane! I can take the chance on paying the deductible to repair the bike, and the possible increase in premium for a Comp/collision claim, as long as health insurance picks up the healthcare aspects of an accident like that (God willing that never happens, but I’d like to be properly prepared).

Last edited by franko3219; 03-11-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:22 PM
5280Ruffian
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

In my opinion, get the uninsured/under insured coverage. Insurance is to help if the unthinkable happens. Don't wait until then to get the coverage.

At the risk of turning this into a 'what insurance is better' thread, check out Markel. I have great coverage through them, for half the cost of my previous insurance.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:40 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Depending on how your state handles crashes, medical bills are only part of the equation. Uninsured/Underinsured coverage protects you in when the other driver has no insurance or doesn't have enough to cover their liability- that could be for any damage you incurr, property damage (like your bike), etc......Your health insurance may pay for your injuries, but it certainly won't pay for any property or non medical damage you may incurr that the other driver is liable for.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:22 AM
KYRGultra
Road Master
Received 489 Likes on 306 Posts

My wife and I both have good health insurance. And without looking up the numbers we are aware UNinsured and UNDERinsured coverages ain't cheap. But as has already been mentioned the UN and UNDER coverages cover more than just what our current health insurance covers. I currently have State Farm insurance on my bike and we also use State Farm for our cages, homeowners, and a million dollar umbrella liability policy. And when I got a bike again in 2009, after 30+ years of not having a bike I insured it with State Farm but as soon as I got the premium bill I changed as State Farm was NOT competitive for bikes back then. But chit changes and since 2009 I have also had my bike insured with Geico, and Dairyland, and now back with State Farm. It pay to check around every few years.

But, get this: The insurance premium for my cage has the amount for UN and UNDER coverages included in the premium amount. Therefore my bike also has the UN and UNDER coverages noted on my insurance card but there isn't any premium amount included in the bill for my bike (2016 RGU) insurance which is currently running $296 per year. My state Farm guy says the UN and UNDER coverages are for ME, NOT ANY SPECIFIC VEHICLE, and they only need to charge me the UN and UNDER premium amounts on ONE policy which, currently, is my cage (2011 Chevy Tahoe).

If any of you guys are being charged for UN and UNDER coverages on more than one vehicle you better have a serious talk with your agent.

The following users liked this post:
MadGriz (05-15-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 02:40 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,603 Likes on 5,172 Posts

There is an extremely high number of uninsured drivers. And Count on this you will never get a dime out of them .

The following 2 users liked this post by smitty901:
Bama Lee (03-14-2019), Long lonesome highwayman (03-16-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 04:13 PM
Bama Lee
Road Warrior
Received 1,536 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
There is an extremely high number of uninsured drivers. And Count on this you will never get a dime out of them .
some years ago my Aunt was rear ended by an intoxicated UIM.........
had to sue him to cover the damages.....won the suit
after 2 years waiting for any type of payment, sued him again for damages.........won the suit
after waiting a year for any form of payment was told by the judge that the court isn't a collections agency......they may order someone to pay damages, but it's up to the claimant or God himself to MAKE them pay up.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bama Lee:
cruisn (04-12-2019), Long lonesome highwayman (03-16-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 05:39 PM
KYRGultra
Road Master
Received 489 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Bama Lee XLC
after 2 years waiting for any type of payment, sued him again for damages.........won the suit
after waiting a year for any form of payment was told by the judge that the court isn't a collections agency......they may order someone to pay damages, but it's up to the claimant or God himself to MAKE them pay up.
Don't know if your aunt thought about this, or even knew to think about it, but, with all the hungry lawyers roaming the streets looking for crumbs it probably wouldn't cost much for an attorney to obtain a Judgement against the guilty party. I mean, the court system has already determined the UIM did it and is liable and is so ordered by the court to pay some bucks. Now, collecting on a Judgement is another matter. It may vary some from state to state but I believe here a Judgement is good for 15 years. So you get a Judgement, then it may cost a little bit, or maybe just a percentage of anything collected, for an attorney or private detective to snoop some and check available databases to see if the individual has money in a bank and/or other assets they might go over. Hey, in for a penny in for a dollar LOL.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:02 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,603 Likes on 5,172 Posts

Originally Posted by Bama Lee XLC
Undocumented citizen hit my daughter totaled the car. The Police knew him well no license no insurance. We filed in court LEO went to his house to server him. Those living there said Juan no live here. He was at the house they say no he not Juan he Roberto. LEO refuse to serve it a second time. back to court Judge said have you figured it out yet? That is why you have insurance. This happens everyday.. He never showed up for the traffic ticket either. He is still around still driving and that was ten years ago.
LEO officer explained it to me, we do this all of the time. If we arrest him the DA and judge will just toss it. He can say he is who ever he wants.

The following users liked this post:
Long lonesome highwayman (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 09:42 AM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,836 Likes on 2,363 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
My daughter was the victim of an uninsured driver once, as she was driving her mothers only car. Fortunitely the UM insurance kicked in. Even if we'd gotten a judgement against him he wouldn't have (allegedly) been able to pay it anyway.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:42 AM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

Pretty much unneeded if you have good insurance and full coverage, unless opting for property damage (not allowed in some states), which is extra (a lot) to the normal UUMC (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage) which is only for injuries. If you have full coverage, your Insurance should pay you and deal with the uninsured motorist for collections, AFAIK.

FROM HERE
Highlights = mine.
To protect law-abiding drivers, many states are now requiring uninsured motorist coverage in their car insurance policies to help with costs associated with injuries after being involved in a car accident with an uninsured driver.
Pretty much cheaper just to have an umbrella liability policy IMHO. Or shop around and compare rates with the UUMC.

Quick Reply: Under/Uninsured Coverage