Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Geico Insurance Experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:10 AM
oldguyriding
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Geico Insurance Experience

I had an accident on 1/2/2010 that wasn't my fault. Had moderate damage to my bike and some relativily minor medical bills. My bike is at the local Harley dealer and it took 3 weeks to get the estimate on the repairs. Now Geico seems to be jerking around on getting the work done. The tank has some dents and Geico is questioning whether it should be replaced or repaired. Harley won't repaire it, only replace, which is true of all the parts. According to the Geico adjuster, they are worried about the dealer buying parts and then not needing to use them. I'm wondering what experience with Geico insurance others have had.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:18 AM
pugs
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had them for my car insurance inthe past. I was hit on the highway - no fault of mine and the other party's insurance paid. I was then rear ended once - again no fault of mine and my insurance had to pay nothing. Nonetheless they canceled my policy for too many claims. I called and reviewed the cases and confirmed that they had nothing to pay in each and they said too bad. Now my bike and two cars are insured elswhere.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:36 AM
chromepony
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I had GEICO auto insurance for 15 years and never had a claim for anything. Then someone stole my car....not a new car, it was about three years old at the time, and they would only pay me about 60% of the book value of the car. I protested and argued with them about this but it didn't do a bit of good. I ASSUMED they would use either Kelly Blue Book or NADA to determine the value but they don't....they use some other phony company that rates the autos way lower in value. Isn't that convenient? Should be against the law. How many people know that?
Anyway, that's why they have lower rates.......cause they screw the customers out of their rightfully deserved claim.
I have Progressive Insurance on my bike and had one claim ....I was rear-ended by another bike......and they couldn't have been better about settling the claim.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:36 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

i had state farm and they were fantanstic. but due to too many things against me, they are not going to renew me. so i am now looking for another place to get insured. it seems that geico is going to be the place. i don't expect them to be as good as state farm, but hopefully i will still be able to get reasonable (whatever that means) service.

i think the problem with motorcycle claims is that most adjusters just don't understand the difference between a motorcycle and a car. both the dealer and the manufacturer don't want a law suite and the best way to assure that is to use new parts. that helps to assure that the bike is in tip top shape. there are very few parts that can be 'fixed' on a motorcycle. if the gas tank has any issue after the repair, you could have gas leaking or fumes leaking, neither of which is any good.

i had a little bit of an issue with state farm when i got rear ended. so i know what you are talking about.

as for being dropped when you were not a fault, they don't want to insure someone who is accident prone, or prone to be involved with accidents. you have to look at it from their point of view.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:45 AM
SJ12DS
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I had a terrible experience with GEICO and cancelled them shortly after that. My truck got hit with shingles after a wind storm in Colorado. Went to one of their prefered shops and they totally screwed up the job and they had a geico rep that worked right at the shop. It was ugly I almost punched the body shop manager but my wife stopped me. This was a brand new Ford F150 Lariat and they totally F@#ked the paint job up. Called them and complained and went to an independent shop to get their f@#k up fixed which came out good but Gieco would not pay to have the lower accent paint redone. They suck from my experience. I now go with progressive for the bike and USAA for my other vehicles and that was based off of everyone that I knew at the time and their experiences with those companies at the time. Everyone had positive feedback about USAA and progressive. Knock on wood that I have not had to make a claim recently.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:50 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Insurance companies suck. Every time I have had to deal with any of them through the years, they have underbid the work and low-balled the repairs. If the damage is isn't worth hiring a lawyer over then you get screwed--if the damage is worth hiring a lawyer over then you get stalled. All I ever expect when someone damages my property is like for like--that should be the law. Not some low bid settlement that doesn't allow me to buy like for like because like for like cost more then their offer. Which they arrived at from some book. Damn crooks.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:57 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I've never had a good experience with GEICO. I have tried using them for the bikes, house, and cars a few times between 1974 and 1998, and have decided I will never use them again, regardless how cute that damn geco is in the commercials. They suck as an insurance company!

Old 02-08-2010, 12:00 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Progressive on my bikes and had a couple minor claims. They've been excellent. Thanks for the info I'll stay away from Geico. Notice the ad banner below?

Old 02-08-2010, 12:01 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chromepony
I had GEICO auto insurance for 15 years and never had a claim for anything. Then someone stole my car....not a new car, it was about three years old at the time, and they would only pay me about 60% of the book value of the car. I protested and argued with them about this but it didn't do a bit of good. I ASSUMED they would use either Kelly Blue Book or NADA to determine the value but they don't....they use some other phony company that rates the autos way lower in value. Isn't that convenient? Should be against the law. How many people know that?
Anyway, that's why they have lower rates.......cause they screw the customers out of their rightfully deserved claim.
I have Progressive Insurance on my bike and had one claim ....I was rear-ended by another bike......and they couldn't have been better about settling the claim.
Unfortunately all insurance companies use a different value scale. They use wholesale values instead of KBB or NADA. Thats why dealerships always try to sell GAP insurance. Its suppose to cover the difference in KBB value and wholesale. All of which is a rip off. ALL insurance companies are rip off scammers, but it is what it is.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:06 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by oldguyriding
I had an accident on 1/2/2010 that wasn't my fault. Had moderate damage to my bike and some relativily minor medical bills.
If this wasn't your fault and this is someone elses insurance company I would fight for replacement on everything. If you are not getting anywhere get your insurance company or a lawyer involved.

Bottom line is not to sign off on anything until everything is the way you want it.

Quick Reply: Geico Insurance Experience