Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Insurance costs

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Noonish
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance costs

I was reading older posts on insurance costs and what people were paying seem higher than I am and wanted thoughts if I am missing something. I will be buying first harley, 07 fxstc, on saturday. I signed up w/ progressive 50/25/50 $500 deduct and $3000 in "acessory coverage", in St. Louis area. Does that seem ok? More accessory coverage? Thanks for any comments.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:41 AM
medinajim
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on what your accessories are worth. But, with Progressive, you can purchase the additional accessory coverage, but don't expect to be reimbursed if something should happen, because it's most likely they'll find some excuse not to cover them. There's another thread on here about Progressive. You might want to read it.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:59 PM
nyc tex
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your liabity limit is way to low (like most people). If you hit and hurt someone, you will be sued and 50/25 is not nearly enough - it is just the minimum state requirement. Make sure to take pictures of your bike to prove you have the accessories and save the receipts as evidence, then you should have no problem with accessory coverage.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:07 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

The thing you really need on a policy is medical and uninsured/under-insured motorist. You have a pretty good chance of getting hurt on a bike. Uninsured Motorist covers injury to you when the other guy is at fault but doesn't carry any or enough insurance. Medical is usually "no fault" coverage; meaning it doesn't matter who is at fault it will pay out.

As far as extra coverage for the bike $3,000-$3,500 should cover any extras. For liability; as nyc tex said; 25/50 may be low; but usually bikes don't cause a lot of injury to the people you hit (unless they are pedestrians). that being said; liability on the bike is usually pretty cheap.

I am an insurance agent in Nevada; states will vary a bit on coverage/laws but its all close. Shoot me a PM if you need some more specific help; I'd be glad to explain it to you.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nyc tex
Your liabity limit is way to low (like most people). If you hit and hurt someone, you will be sued and 50/25 is not nearly enough - it is just the minimum state requirement. Make sure to take pictures of your bike to prove you have the accessories and save the receipts as evidence, then you should have no problem with accessory coverage.
As a former Property/Casualty insurance company emloyee I definitely agree that your liability limits are pretty low.

Liability coverage of $300,000 would be "standard" these days and probably wouldn't break the bank.

Depending on your state regulations Uninsured/Underinsured coverage would be worth looking into. Protects you if some uninsured/low coverage clown hits you.

When I agot my bike I called HD insurance. They don't actually issue the policy - they act as a broker and come back with 3 quotes from major insurers. Usually at a cheaper rate then if you called the insurer yourself.

Just saw VISTAVETTE's post and you should take him up on his offer.

Sammi