Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

HD Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 06:20 PM
redhwk44
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HD Insurance

I got some mail from the MoCo the other day trying to sell me some insurance so I go online and answer all the questions they want and got what I thought was a pretty good rate ( I pay $220/year now with State Farm ). Anyway a day or so later I get an E-Mail from Progressive about the qoute I got and when I look at it they had the quote number. Is HD selling Progressive insurance? I know there are a lot of people with Progressive but are they any good? Are there any guys out there with Prog. that had a different ins. with claims that can do an apple to apple comparison?
I guess my main worry would be to need to file a claim while out on a trip in the middlw of nowhere and them not be there for me. how many of you guys have progressive and like it and how many don't.... And Why?

Jeff

Old 05-05-2011, 06:23 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

That's what I pay for my 11 Limited through State Farm. I have the house, cars and bike with them. I think you will be hard pressed to beat the rate you are getting now and I prefer to work with a local agent instead of someone I don't know. Never had Progressive and I know that was your question but they have never been able to match State Farm, plus I get the comfort level of a local agent I have actually met.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:27 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Here in NJ

Progressive underwrites for "harley" here in NJ. I'm shocked by your rate. I have a 09 Road King, full collision w/xtra $3000 in accessories 300/500 liability, and PIP of 500 (we pay for PIP in NJ). I pay about $500/year and from what I have heard that was a GREAT rate here in NJ. I'll have to check out State Farm!

Old 05-05-2011, 06:28 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
Progressive underwrites for "harley" here in NJ. I'm shocked by your rate. I have a 09 Road King, full collision w/xtra $3000 in accessories 300/500 liability, and PIP of 500 (we pay for PIP in NJ). I pay about $500/year and from what I have heard that was a GREAT rate.
That PIP is what is driving your rate up. Mine would double too if I had PIP. It has a lot to do with where you live also.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

Yes you can get Progressive thru' HD but it's more expensive than going direct. Call Progressive fresh and compare rates.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:35 PM
redhwk44
Road Master

Progressive underwrites for "harley" here in NJ. I'm shocked by your rate. I have a 09 Road King, full collision w/xtra $3000 in accessories 300/500 liability, and PIP of 500 (we pay for PIP in NJ). I pay about $500/year and from what I have heard that was a GREAT rate here in NJ. I'll have to check out State Farm!
Yeah I hear ya, when I lived in Connecticut in the late 80's I paid almost $2000 a year ( had to get Alstate there ) and had no tickets or claims. I have my house all my vehicles and the 2010 Ultra thru SF. I guess from your rates I have my answer.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had Progressive for years, never needed to use their services though. $300 a year but that's a 1/2 mill policy too. They've always been friendly whenever I had to call with a question.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:08 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member

State Farm wont write bike insurance alone, you have to have a car, home etc. with them already. It's that way in Kansas anyway.

Last edited by KCFLHRC; 05-05-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Black_Hog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have Foremost Insurance thru Harley Davidson. Tampa Bay Florida insurance is historically high priced because of the year round riding weather and high theft rate.
I paid $304.91 this year for full coverage. I don't have uninsured motorist because of the high cost. I'm of a fixed income, fixed by my boss.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:28 PM
lipster
Cruiser

I have Progressive on my HD. All is fine, but I never had a claim, either.

Here is what bothers me. 18 months ago, I got t-boned by a driver who went thru a stop sign, at a 4-way stop and T-boned my car, totalling it. He was insured by Progressive. I have another insurance co cover my car. Witnesses, verified he went thru the sign. Driver even told the cops he went thru the sign, and that went on police report.

Next day, Progressive calls me and says they have "investigated" my claim, and their insured says he stopped at the the stop sign. I won't say any more, as this is still in litigation, but I will say their ads are cute.

Quick Reply: HD Insurance