Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

USAA Insurance(Guantanamo Bay,Cuba)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Aviel
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry USAA Insurance(Guantanamo Bay,Cuba)

I recently called Progressive to get a quote for insuring my Harley here in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Progressive stated they would not insure my bike. This made me exceedingly mad since the bike would be on a US Naval Base. Another fact which adds insult to injury is that the base is completely closed off. No one is allowed off the base. The maximum speed limit is 25mph. Progressive told me I would have to attach the Motorcycle to another vehicle. They would not insure the motorcycle by itself.

Listen, if you or someone you know is thinking about insuring a motorcycle on Guantanamo Bay Naval Station, USAA's policy is that the motorcycle must be attached to a vehicle on the policy. I'm just trying to save somebody some grief.

In case you didn't know, Progressive is the company USAA uses to insure their members motorcycles.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Moe Taters
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happened to me with Farmers years ago.. They said if a 40 year old man has a Harley and no other vehicle he might not be a good risk.. He might be in one of those gangs and not be of sound charactor.. I had been a customer for 15 plus years at that point.. Had home and all vehicles with Farmers...

My neighboor had a junk pickup.. I put on my cut, got on the bike.. I went to the DMV and transfered the title then rode to the insurence agent.. Went in wearing my cut (not first time by any stretch) and put minimum liability on it..

I went without another vehicle for another six months or so.. When I bought a brand new truck I transfered the home owners, motorcycle and the new truck to a different company..

Moe Taters

Old 09-05-2011, 01:55 PM
dfndr
Road Master

I've been with USAA for over thirty years. Thought they were good but now that I have a claim they are treating me like crap. What a big disappointment for a past service member.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:00 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by dfndr
I've been with USAA for over thirty years. Thought they were good but now that I have a claim they are treating me like crap. What a big disappointment for a past service member.
I had just the oppisite experience with USAA. Great service and they cut me a check for 4000.00 with in two weeks and said I can do whatever I want with the money. Too bad they dont cover bikes any more.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:02 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been with USAA for over 30 years too. they've always been a first rate company to me, even though they don't insure motorcycles. I've used them to finance all of my cars, trucks and bikes, insure my cars, mortgage on my house and home owners insurance.

sorry you've had trouble with them... well not really with USAA but Progressive.

I got a dumb question.... why would you want to take a motorcycle to Guantanamo Bay? especially since you can't go anywhere or very fast.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:39 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i have never been in a service, or to cuba but i had a harley insured at progressive alone.my truck was insured at safe auto,who doesnt cover bikes, for a year when statefarm dropped me(by the way,stay as far from safe auto as possible,total scam)

Old 09-06-2011, 07:07 AM
Aviel
Advanced
Default Cages and Cuba

Originally Posted by aviator
I've been with USAA for over 30 years too. they've always been a first rate company to me, even though they don't insure motorcycles. I've used them to finance all of my cars, trucks and bikes, insure my cars, mortgage on my house and home owners insurance.

sorry you've had trouble with them... well not really with USAA but Progressive.

I got a dumb question.... why would you want to take a motorcycle to Guantanamo Bay? especially since you can't go anywhere or very fast.
I have ZERO complaints regarding USAA insurance coverage with the exception of their ridiculous motorcycle policy. My homeowners, valuables, and auto insurance is through USAA. I've been riding in cages for three months down here and I'm getting sick of it. Even though the speed limit is only 25 mph on the base, I miss my bike. I've got to find another solution to this insurance debacle.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:04 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Aviel
I have ZERO complaints regarding USAA insurance coverage with the exception of their ridiculous motorcycle policy. My homeowners, valuables, and auto insurance is through USAA. I've been riding in cages for three months down here and I'm getting sick of it. Even though the speed limit is only 25 mph on the base, I miss my bike. I've got to find another solution to this insurance debacle.
I gotta believe you're resourceful enough to figure something out. does the car have to be at Guantanamo also? if not, have a relative put it on their insurance and pay them, maybe listing you as an occasional rider. how about one of your buddies there... does one have a car? maybe you could carry their insurance and they pay you?

my old pappy used to say - "only feed them half a sandwich".. in other words, you don't have to tell them your life story, just enough to satisfy them.

oh - I forgot this my first post..... THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!! I appreciate you serving.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Aviel
Advanced

The car must be at Guantanamo also. I don't have any friends down here. It's just me for right now. Maybe later on if a housing billet opens up my wife can come down. I'm still looking for a solution.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:37 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Aviel
The car must be at Guantanamo also. I don't have any friends down here. It's just me for right now. Maybe later on if a housing billet opens up my wife can come down. I'm still looking for a solution.
if it were me, and I wanted my bike with me... I'd approach someone who had a car there.. and work something out, like paying part of their premiums or something.

where there's a will - there's a way. be creative.

Quick Reply: USAA Insurance(Guantanamo Bay,Cuba)