Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Geico Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:28 AM
jihad_joe
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just sold my 08 Night Train and picked up a 12 Electra Glide. My insurance increased from 45$ a month to 100$ a month. I'm dumping Progressive and it is looking like Geico is the new winner. It is 60$ /month.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:57 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

After being hit by a cage a year ago last August I learned an important lesson about insurance-

I had Geico, they were the least expensive premium for our area.

What I learned is that Geico does NOT have a good record (in the last few years) of paying claims for what they are worth, or in a timely manner. Up until a few years ago they were paying well, and that is part of the reason they became so popular.

The more important thing I learned is to talk with a Motorcycle Atty each year...they know which companies pay well and which ones will do whatever they can to pay as little as they can. It is a moving target. Who may be good this year may suck next year. Right now Geico sucks.

I hope I never need to use my MC insurance again, but if I do I do not want to have insult on top of injury by having my own insurance company try and screw me.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-27-2012, 02:09 AM
Lefty79
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Geico also. I have to agree with DK Custom on the payouts. I had a wreck in Sept. They paid me in a timely manner but I did not get close to market value for my bike. But, on the plus side They gave me credit for all of my major add-ons even though I hadn't added them to my policy. They gave me $400 to purchase a new helmet, and most importantly even though I was involved in a hit and run, and the CHP findings did not agree with what really happened, they kept claim as hit and run with no fault. I actually just changed my truck and car over because they were not going to raise my rates. I got twice the coverage for about $20 less per month amount then I was paying.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:52 PM
jay.weber
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I am an adjuster for GEICO for the last 13 years, and I handle claims for autos & motorcycles on a daily basis. There are many factors that underwriters look at in rating a risk and setting a premium for a policy. Location is one of the top factors of many, in determining the premium price based on what the local price is to repair autos & bikes in a specific area or state, such as labor rates, towing charges etc. I do not get any discount on insurance, I pay $26 per month for a 2008 toyo sienna (full covg, $500 ded, towing, rental, higher end covg limits) and pay $22 per month on 2011 road king classic (comp, coll, $500 ded, $2000 customizations). I am in the Cleveland, OH area. By the way, nice to hear good things being said about GEICO.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:27 PM
Danny Hatt
Stage IV

I have an 86 sporty, im in CT and have the lowest coverage. Premium is $111.00

Old 01-29-2012, 09:51 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jay.weber
I am an adjuster for GEICO for the last 13 years, and I handle claims for autos & motorcycles on a daily basis. There are many factors that underwriters look at in rating a risk and setting a premium for a policy. Location is one of the top factors of many, in determining the premium price based on what the local price is to repair autos & bikes in a specific area or state, such as labor rates, towing charges etc. I do not get any discount on insurance, I pay $26 per month for a 2008 toyo sienna (full covg, $500 ded, towing, rental, higher end covg limits) and pay $22 per month on 2011 road king classic (comp, coll, $500 ded, $2000 customizations). I am in the Cleveland, OH area. By the way, nice to hear good things being said about GEICO.
So then explain to me why I *WAS* paying close to $300/month for two vehicles. '02 mountaineer and '04 chevy silverado.

$3400/yr (1679/6mos) is way out of line.

I have never had a claim filed for any of my vehicles with geico. I have not gotten any tickets while operating any of my vehicles. I had one (1) speeding ticket on my motorcycle in 2008 but does that justify the extreme cost of my auto policy? I don't think so.

I have been insured with them for more than 5yrs.

I did not carry comp/collision.

$500/ded.

I'm well aware that location plays a huge part in my premium. I wasn't born yesterday. When relocating from SC to NJ, my insurance doubled.

And if Geico is so cheap, why did I find new insurance for $1800/yr cheaper than what I was paying with Geico?

Yes I got a policy with exactly the same coverage I had with Geico for $1584/yr. I was paying 1679/6mos with geico, for a yearly total of $3358.

I'm 41. Not 21.

I'm sorry...but Geico is not the company for me.

You want the policy number? You can look it up and tell me why it was so high.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:36 AM
updraft
Advanced

I had two bad experiences with Geico.

2001 VW Jetta: Hit a dear, messed up the fender. They wanted to use an aftermarket fender. The guy at the body shop told them he'd been down this road with German model vehicles and that OEM was the only thing that would fit worth a darn. Geico said to at least try the aftermarket, if I didn't like how it turned out, they'd reevaluate. Body shop got the aftermarket installed/painted, it was a horrible fit, so the adjuster came back out and with my lawyer's assistance they agreed to redo the whole thing with a fender that actually fit.

2003 F150. Brand new, and I get nailed by a bad hail storm here in the midwest. The hood had to be replaced amongst other things. Geico told the same body shop that they wouldn't pay to blend the fenders on a 2003 F150 because they weren't adjacent panels to the hood, and they also wouldn't pay for him to do a true paint match (go off of the factory paint code instead of scanning a fuel door or some other part for an exact match). I raised hell, and was told if it didn't look right when it was done they'd redo it. Well, the top of the truck, and the hood came out looking lighter than the rest of the truck (and the ADJACENT fenders). So the adjuster came out again, and after getting my lawyer involved they agreed to repaint the whole thing, this time with the correct color match and blending.

So I've now changed insurance providers. I figured I'd had two claims over a period of 5 years with them at the time (still my only two claims) and deserved to be treated a little more fair. Some people may have been happy with the poorly fitting fender, or a paint shade that was just not quite right, but that's not why I pay for insurance. I pay for insurance so the vehicle looks the same after the accident as it did before the accident, not, "pretty close" to it.

Obviously I've never bothered putting the bike on Geico. Sure it's cheap, but I'd rather pay a little more and know the insurance is going to be there when I need it.

Last edited by updraft; 01-29-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:06 PM
a10182
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it all depends on age driving record and location, i got progressive

Old 01-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 3,054 Posts

I shop insurance every year, and Geico has won each of the last 5 years.

I hit a deer 2 weeks ago with the wife's car. Immediately Geico told me it was no fault and wouldn't be held against me.

The car's in the shop, ( the best shop in the area,) and they found one additional add-on to the damage estimate once they got it apart.

We're driving a Dodge Journey fully paid for by Geico until our car is done the end of this week, and not one complaint from the repair shop or me about the way Geico's handling the claim.

( Our Shop offers a life time warranty on repairs btw, probably why they're the also known to be the most expensive, and Geico didn't object or ask for a second quote when I told them where I wanted to take it.)

I've been a walking Geico commercial the last couple of weeks.

Last edited by Stiggy; 01-29-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:17 PM
jay.weber
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

@SC-Longhair: I can tell you very little about the insurance regulations in NJ, but I can tell you 4 or 5 years ago, GEICO was not even writing policies in NJ. So there is something there in NJ that makes it difficult for insurance companies to operate and just break even. So lower policy count in NJ does not allow us to be as competitive in your market. NJ is one of the most expensive states for consumers buying insurance.

@updraft: Glad to hear the adjustment was made for the oem fender. All insurance companies will try to fix vehicles cost effectively, and sometimes the a/m parts do fit and sometimes they don't. I'm picky about my vehicles as well so I hear what your saying. Blending adjacent panels is needed almost all the time, hood to fenders is the one area that you may get away with not doing, depending on the panel surfaces against each other and the actual color of the vehicle.

@Stiggy: Your situation is our goal every time believe it or not...your testimonial is our best commercial.

Quick Reply: Geico Insurance