Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

USAA insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 01:04 PM
wrxdwnshft
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question USAA insurance question

Ok so I laid down my road king a week ago. USAA said take it to Harley and we will send an adjuster to meet with harley. My question is if I rather take some of the money to upgrade stuff like front wheel hit side walk and is scratched and dinged up exhaust is scratched up but ima buy aftermarket can I ask them to give me that portion of the money and order after market stuff?? Or can I get check in my name and I take bike in at a later time??? Thank you my first time so I'm a lil lost

Old 08-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Ockam
Tourer

I just went through Progressive after laying my bike down, and I can tell you my experience.

Basically it works like this:
1. The adjuster comes and looks at your bike and makes his estimate for the repairs.
2. The dealer should assist/verify the estimate with the adjuster.
3. the adjuster calls you, and says repairs of your bike will cost $X.00 not including your deductible.
4. The adjuster then cuts you or the dealer doing the repairs a check, depending on their preference and yours.
5. What ever you do with that money is your business.

My damage was rated at $5K +$2.4K for a custom paint job minus $500 for my deductible.

I talked to the dealer and ordered my tins in Black (faster, takes HD 6 to 8 weeks), told them not to replace my saddle bags, and I switched out my front forks for Black (they are stock brushed silver now), swapped the damaged mirrors for Billet Round black, and had them upgrade the engine with a 103 cui Screaming Eagle. So all in all, I will come out owing $400.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:46 PM
wrxdwnshft
Novice

Nice I hope mine will be as smooth thank you

Old 08-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Joe_Brock
Cruiser

The only dealings I had with USAA were for a total loss...dont think this will help you out. But what I can tell you...USAA was awesome! One thing that may help you out...USAA will reimburse you for the riding gear you were wearing! I had on a helmet, jacket, jeans and boots...didnt have any receipts because they were a few years old...so USAA told me to purchase new gear and submit the receipt...they paid me back within a week of submitting the receipt! Badass if you ask me!

Old 08-27-2012, 07:56 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by wrxdwnshft
Ok so I laid down my road king a week ago. USAA said take it to Harley and we will send an adjuster to meet with harley. My question is if I rather take some of the money to upgrade stuff like front wheel hit side walk and is scratched and dinged up exhaust is scratched up but ima buy aftermarket can I ask them to give me that portion of the money and order after market stuff?? Or can I get check in my name and I take bike in at a later time??? Thank you my first time so I'm a lil lost
USAA was great with me. Basically said because my bike is paid off I could even pocket the 4500 and not fix my bike if I wanted but if I get in another accident they wont cover old damage. After the adjuster looked at my bike they had a check to me in 14 days. Best company ever IMHO. So glad they didnt bump me over to progressive like they have done to others.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:17 PM
jay.weber
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Ockam is right. You are owed for the parts you have. If you prefer to put on different parts you can. You would just have to cover the difference if any. Most times a/m parts are usually cheaper.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:16 AM
amvenne
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I first called USAA and they bumped me to Progressive. How do some people get them to cover and others dont?
I love USAA and would MUCH rather use them for any insurance/financial/banking than any other company.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:32 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

USAA have never come close to the rate progressive gives me.
In all the time I spent in the Army they were always way over priced.
That said. any part the insurance company pays for belongs to them. That is that. They may not want them but they own them.
I totaled my 2011 RGU last Thursday, because of the Holiday and weekend the adjust came out on Tuesday and cut my check in about and hour. Not much left of the bike I ask for a couple small parts even offered to pay for them ,he gave them to me.
USAA bumps everyone on motorcycle insurance they do not insure bikes directly weather you know it of not same thing many companies do.
Depending on the amount of damage and if you owe money on the ride they may be required to issue the check in your name and the lean holder. In my case the bike was paid for they just cut me a check on the spot. But soon as I take that check the bike and all that is left of it belong to them.
Depending on your coverage you will have .
Total for parts to make you whole
Total for labor
Total for any add ons you had coverage for
Total for your gear, helmet,Glass jackets ect.
If you had a deductible that will be subtracted and a check .
issued. Company's like Progressive wave the deductible if you been with them claim free for awhile they did in my case.
Most of the time it is a simple straight forward process .
With a high amount of damage on a bike you plan to repair you will want to talk about diminished value with the adjuster.
Minor stuff is no big deal but when the cost goes up no madder how well it is repaired the bike will lose sale and trade value.
Cost of insurance will be different for each person Progressive insures both my bikes for less than one at USAA.
Same with my cars.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

I have always been extremely impressed with USAA. House, Car and Bikes they have always been more than fair . . . as well as being close enough to to other cheaper companies in price, that it isn't worth the potential hassle of how any other company might treat me.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:25 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by wrxdwnshft
USAA makes the check out to you. What you do with it is your business.

I've been with them for almost 30 years now, and they pay up very quickly.