Motorcycle Metal Fast? Now Control Yourself...

New Street Bob Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 01:41 PM
Sambo62
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default New Street Bob Suspension

Just got my new front and rear shocks and springs for my 2014 Street Bob from Howard. Awesome service. Great dude to deal with. Two weeks from order to sitting on the doorstep. Everything was well-packed and in order. Price was VERY competitive. NO complaints what-so-ever...

Piggyback Ohlins 13.25" Blacklines for rear, 25mm cartridge inserts for front. Can't wait to install and ride. Unfortunately, living is MI, I'll get installed well before riding weather rolls around. May need to break out the snowmobile gear and go for it regardless.

One thing I do want to confirm..... HD Dyna service manual calls for a fork oil fill level of 3.74" (95mm) for FXDB. Do I use this same fill level for the new cartridge style or do they require a different level? If different, what?

Thanks again, Howard!

UPDATE: Spec sheet from GR lists Fill Level as 165 (mm's I assume) which would be 6.5".

Last edited by Sambo62; 03-22-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:53 PM
jdg27
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently ordered the same front end from Howard but haven’t received them yet. Looking forward to getting them. Have you had a chance to install and ride yet?

Old 04-03-2018, 11:39 AM
Sambo62
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Installed the rear and took a quick run. Very nice. Have not yet installed the front cartridges. Waiting on my lift to arrive.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:10 PM
SBJersey
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im looking to get some piggy back Ohlins. I have seen a lot of people go to Howard...How does one get intouch about ordering a pair?

Old 04-08-2018, 01:45 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by SBJersey
Im looking to get some piggy back Ohlins. I have seen a lot of people go to Howard...How does one get intouch about ordering a pair?
Just call me

Old 10-27-2023, 08:44 PM
nobes
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sambo62
Just got my new front and rear shocks and springs for my 2014 Street Bob from Howard. Awesome service. Great dude to deal with. Two weeks from order to sitting on the doorstep. Everything was well-packed and in order. Price was VERY competitive. NO complaints what-so-ever...

Piggyback Ohlins 13.25" Blacklines for rear, 25mm cartridge inserts for front Micro-Credential Courses. Can't wait to install and ride. Unfortunately, living is MI, I'll get installed well before riding weather rolls around. May need to break out the snowmobile gear and go for it regardless.

One thing I do want to confirm..... HD Dyna service manual calls for a fork oil fill level of 3.74" (95mm) for FXDB. Do I use this same fill level for the new cartridge style or do they require a different level? If different, what?

Thanks again, Howard!

UPDATE: Spec sheet from GR lists Fill Level as 165 (mm's I assume) which would be 6.5".
OK to start with i'm an old fart that is used to baggers but bought my second Harley an 09 FXDF. Yesterday I rode up to the Long Beach Bike show which is about 90 miles of choppy concrete truck pounded freeways and pot holes. The pounding I took on the bike was amazing. The Fat Bob is already lowered and the on several rear shock setting was as hard as a hard tail. My *** and back were toast after 160 miles of this. Question? I love the bike and at first the seating position feels awesome but the rear and front shocks give no travel and you obsorb all the bumps in your hands, arms and back. Any cures so I can keep this bike or did i make a big mistake? Thanks

Old 11-04-2023, 02:31 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,849 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by nobes
Any cures so I can keep this bike or did i make a big mistake? Thanks
The good news is: yes, there is a cure for your lousy suspension. The bad news is: it's not going to be cheap.

You have an almost 15 year old Harley with a semi-stock suspension...strike 1. Your Harley was lowered by the numb nuts that owned the bike before you...strike 2. The result of these 2 strikes is that the bike is using your spine and your *** as its suspension.

IMHO, in order to avoid a strike 3 on this bike, I would either get rid of it, or if you really love it, completely upgrade the suspension with quality components (front and rear), if that is financially feasible. This includes raising the bike up from its lowered position to at least stock height or +1" on the rear shocks. You need quality suspension travel to soak up the bumps, and you need to get the bike off the ground (read: ground clearance) so you can actually lean the bike into turns, and not scrape pegs/exhaust, etc.

The quality of the suspension components is directly related to how much you are willing to spend. A high quality full Ohlins suspension is going to cost you somewhere between $1700-2000. There are other suspension products out there that are much cheaper, but you truly get what you pay for when you're talking about motorcycle suspension systems. If you think that the ride on your stock baggers was decent, then skip the Ohlins, and go for a cheaper option.